Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on many posts on this forum that you should crate your dog when you are not home. can i just ask, how many ppl actually do this? To me it seems mean to put ur dog in a crate (obviously i could be wrong if so many ppl think its the right thing to do), where if its the right size, they only have enuf room to stand up and lie down for 9hours+ at a time everyday when i'm at work.

i've never done this for any of our dogs and to be honest i don't know anyone who does this. Everyone I know leaves their dogs in the backyard to run around and guard the property when they're not home. So i wanted to know if YOU do or don't crate your dogs when you're not at home.

My questions..
1. How do they go being crated for such long periods of times?
2. Do u leave the crate in teh house or in the back yard?
3. Do you do this for the rest of their lives or just when they're puppies?
4. Also where do they wee or poo if they're in a crate for 9hrs at a time?
5. Is crating when ur not home mainly to solve behaviour problems like digging and seperation anxiety?

... and to add a visual element i thought i'd do a poll plus i haven't done one before and wanted to have a go! So please vote above if u read this thread and if you could reply to help me answer my questions. thanks! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
My dogs are in the livingroom(who don't chew my furnitures) and some in kennels and in the backyard. I think to crate them for three or four hours is no problem, also at night but I think 9hours+ is toooooo long to stay in a crate. If you crate they should have enough room to stand up and take the head up.
I crated some puppys at night when they were 8 weeks old, till they know where they have to pee and poo.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I started crate-ing Fina after she chewed a hole in the wall in hte time it took me to pick up my son from school (about 40 minutes). :shock:
She's only crated for about 1 to 4 hours at a time, once in a while when nobody is home. She took to the crate immediately and has no problem "going to bed." When she sees us putting our coats on, she head to the crate and lays down and waits for me to shut the door. Such a good doggy! :D

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
While Bubba is a pup we crate train him and here is his schedule

6:30 a.m. he gets walked by either my wife or I.
7-8:30 he plays wherever he wants(except in the bedrooms) in the house
8:30-12 he is in his crate
12-12:45 he is out with my wife while she is home for lunch
12:45-3:30 he is in his crate until my daughter comes home from school and lets him out
3:30-10:30- freedom
10:30- he is in his crate until 6:30 a.m.

We try are best to make sure he isn't in it too long at one time but while he's a pup we really don't have a choice.

Thoughts on his schedule?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
1. How do they go being crated for such long periods of times?
Dogs don't sense time, they live in the moment. Most dogs just sleep or some people put a kong in there crate to occupy them. Whem my mom's at work and i'm at school, Abby's in the crate for 7 hours or sometimes less. Her crate is pretty spacious though and she can stand up and stretch and in it.

2. Do u leave the crate in teh house or in the back yard?
In the house, it's too cold here to leave the crate in the yard. Also, my town doesn't allow dogs to live outside unless you have a kennel licence, stops BYBs.

3. Do you do this for the rest of their lives or just when they're puppies?
Abby might be in the crate for the rest of her life or until we thinks she's mature enough to be out of the crate.

4. Also where do they wee or poo if they're in a crate for 9hrs at a time?
They shouldn't relieve themselves in the crate, unless the crate is too big. Some people hire dog walkers to take them for a walk when there at work too.

5. Is crating when ur not home mainly to solve behaviour problems like digging and seperation anxiety?
Yes, a crate is very helpful training tool. A lot of owners use it. It also helps with potty training and some dogs feel more secure in a crate then they would if there left alone in the house.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I crate my boys to make sure nothing sturrs up while im gone i work a 7.5 hour day they are in crates and sometimes in runs where they go in and out heated
Our female carley is left free in the main floor no upstairs and no rooms with doors on them just the livingroom and kitchen
when im housetraining i crate them for sure :wink:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
If I were only going to be gone for 4-6 hours, I would crate. But I'm gone for 14 hrs. And my last dog sitter took my money and went out drinking... didn't touch the dogs. I don't trust anyone with my dogs anymore. So they stay in my basement while I am gone. My babysitter will bring my son over before he goes to bed to let the dogs out to pee. And sometimes if I'm really lucky, I can run home and let them out on my break.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
No crate. I did crate him when I was not at home while he was being house broken. When I did I would come home on my lunch to break up the time he was in there.

Now he has free run of the kitchen and dining room while I'm gone. I've never had a chewing problem on the furniture, cabinets or floor. Well, except his own bed. I don't know what it is about dogs and their beds. I leave chew toys for him, but when I come home I find them in the same place as I had left them. I think they sleep all day. (What a life!) :lol:

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I have four dogs. Three non-bull dogs and one apbt named Clara. The non-bulldogs are left in our bedroom and Clara has to be in her house. We enclosed our screened in porch which has two sliding glass doors. One to the living room and one to our bedroom. I have a dog house sitting in the enclosed porch (which is the family room now) and it faces the sliding glass door to the bedroom so that the opening of the dog house is right at the glass door. I have Clara enter her house through my bedroom and close the glass door to keep her in her dog house. This way she is comfy and still can see the other dogs and not feel alone. She cannot be trusted to be out with the other dogs as she is protective of stuff and she will chew the house down if left out that long. She is happy in her house. It is her house and she knows it. None of the other dogs even want to go in it. So she feels safe and snuggly there. They are usually kept this way about 6 hours. My work schedule is 9-3, but remember, they wait all night to go out so this is not bad for them. We also have a regular crate for her for traveling and for short stays in the family room. This one faces the living room so she can see us in there. As long as she can see us she is happy for short stays (10 min. to an hour).

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I am using a crate for our new pup now to house brake and to be put in if I can not keep an eye on him.I dont want my kids to hurt him or the other way around.He is only 7 weeks old and has adjusted well with it.No accidents at all in the crate and he is only in there for maybe an hour if that.I also used the crate with my Dalmatian and she no longer needs to be crated as she out grew all her bad habits and I hope the same for our new little guy.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
yes

I crate them while I'm not home but it's for their own safety they are still young. I am a stay at home so I don't crate them for long periods and I would never crate them for 9 hours way to long. they usually sleep with me so I don't crate at night unless they are restless and want to play all night which is rare they know lights out bedtime. I never leave them outside my crates are indoors in living room. Their outside time is spent in yard with me being supervised. and so far they are good and housebroken.
The only time they were crated for a while was after their surgeries to keep them calm and safe while healing but even then I walked them every 2 hours to excercise them. Infact when they want a nap in the day they go in their crates by themselves , it is where they feel secure & safe they actually like their crates.

·
Registered
790 Posts
when they are young, upto 1year, yes.

When they are older. NO.

They would be useless as a protector/guardian if they are kenneled up.

they stay in their place in the kitchen. They know the rules.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I only crate one, but it would only let me vote once. I crate Booda when I am not at home. If I didn't he would destroy my house.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
No crating at all. May consider it if I got another dog, for seperation while I'm at work. I don't think any longer than 5 to 6 hours without being to relieve or to have restricted movement can be healthy or fair on a dog...but thats just my views.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I crate my AB puppy, and my two year old yorkie when we are not home. I can trust the Yorkie, but they have seperation anxiety if the are not together. They have no problem going to bed. If you make it comfortable in the crate it is easier on the dog. I will probably use it until the pup is about 8 months old. Or until she understands all her boundaries within the house.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Both of mine are in crates when no one is home. We are lucky...my botfriends brother does not work so usually they are not in the for more then 4 hours at a time. He comes by eveyday and lets them out and plays with them. I think mine will be in the cages for the rest of their lives. If I had one dog I may trust it being out one day but since I have two now...I never allow them to be together unsupervised. I would never allow them to be out together all day with no one home.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate's always crated.... She gets into things when shes out. Like tears up meaningful things, pillows, the recycling... anything I didn't think of. And esepcailly after "the incident" where she ate a whole pair of underwear and got very very very sick from her. Crater for life here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts