Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have special dog toothpaste and a toothbrush and the finger kind. I wanted to know if any of you brushed your dogs teeth and how often? I try to brush Abby's teeth atleast once a day because I noticed some yellow starting to stain her larger canine teeth. Should I be brushing more and does it really make a difference? It is a task to brush her teeth, I have to hold her still and hold her muzzle so she doesn't bite the toothbrush while i'm burshing her teeth.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I brush Kate's teeth.... I try to do once a week but its been a while since. It's hard for me because she tries to lick the toothpaste the whole time

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I don't brush Bella's teeth. Most, if not all, of the plaque on her teeth gets knocked off when she chews on bones and chew toys.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I don't brush mine...the shred sticks all day long on my living room floor :? ...I figure thats as good as brushing them if not better...it flauces too! lol

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I used to brush Choppers...Jazzy wouldn't let me get anywhere near her with that finger brush. But I really don't anymore. They're teeth are really clean from bones and hard treats, I guess. Vet says they look great.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I guess I do it more for Kate's breath then clean teeth

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Kate said:
I guess I do it more for Kate's breath then clean teeth
It's a good habit! As long as she let's you do it, I say keep it up! Certainly can only help. :D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I used to brush my dogs teeth but I never noticed a difference.

I make sure they get lots of bones and chew toys. And I make treats with fresh cranberries and blueberries in them. Cranberries help so plaque won't adhere to the teeth! It's the same thing with cranberries and the blatter. A lot of people think the acid helps eat the bacteria, but it's actually that bacteria can't stick to the lining so it gets fulshed away. You can also just give your dog a few fresh cranberries everyday as a treat. My dogs love them!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I brush Sophie's, but I have never tried to do Busters yet. I use the brush on Sophie, and she makes it fairly easy because she tries to chew on the toothbrush. I use her own motion to brush instead of trying to hold her still and let me brush. I don't do a great job, I'm sure, but it's better than nothing I guess. I think it's more important as they get older. Sophie's ten and a half now and has a broken molar, so I try to keep an eye on it.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Care said:
I used to brush my dogs teeth but I never noticed a difference.

I make sure they get lots of bones and chew toys. And I make treats with fresh cranberries and blueberries in them. Cranberries help so plaque won't adhere to the teeth! It's the same thing with cranberries and the blatter. A lot of people think the acid helps eat the bacteria, but it's actually that bacteria can't stick to the lining so it gets fulshed away. You can also just give your dog a few fresh cranberries everyday as a treat. My dogs love them!
That's really interesting. Halo's mom was asking me about whether cranberries were okay for dogs or not and I researched but couldn't really find any answers. Are the cranberries from the grocery store okay?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I have the toothbush and paste but just can't seem to bring myself to do it! I try to keep my dogs teeth in check by giving them a raw marrow bone once a week or so. Seems to work relatively good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I try to brush Vega's teeth 2-3 a week. But, frankly, it'a a P.I.T.A., she won't stop licking the brush. :lol:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
my dogs just try to eat the toothpaste. They actually beg for it! Heidi's tongue is so outa control, It's really hard to make contact with the teeth. Can you feed the dogs dried cranberries? I don't think mine would eat them fresh. They're really picky!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I brush all of my dogs teeth, first they lay on my lap and I use a dental tool or the edge of a dime to remove the plaque. I brush with a little bit of baking soda and a drop of toothpaste. We do this about every three months.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I would only use cranberries that you know haven't been sprayed with anything. I buy a ton of them when they're in season (fall), and then I freeze them. From what I've read you can use them dried, extracted, powdered, or even as a juice, as long as the juice doesn't have any sugar in it(which is hard to find).

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Care said:
I would only use cranberries that you know haven't been sprayed with anything. I buy a ton of them when they're in season (fall), and then I freeze them. From what I've read you can use them dried, extracted, powdered, or even as a juice, as long as the juice doesn't have any sugar in it(which is hard to find).
Do they need to chew it in order for it to coat the teeth? My dogs seem to just gulp stuff down without any chewing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where i work we havent noticed a difference between dogs who get there teeth brushed and those who dont. In general small dogs have more dental problems than larger dogs.I had a Great Dane for 13 yrs. who never needed a dental and had all her teeth til she died. But i have a poodle who has had 4 dentals and she is just 3yrs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
Care said:
Do they need to chew it in order for it to coat the teeth? My dogs seem to just gulp stuff down without any chewing.
You can do what I do. I put cranberries and blueberries in the food processor and puree them. Then I make cookies out of them.

One thing is you're not suposed to give excess amounts of cranberries either. I only give my dogs 1 cookie a day. That probably works out to 1.5 cranberries/day. My dog Sadie rarely chews bones or toys anymore and is going on 13, she still has healthy teeth and gums.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts