Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Ana's $650 night at the vet clinic (see my other post), I'm wondering if I should get some health insurance, especially since I'm going into school for the next couple years and won't have much extra emergency vet money.

So I'm wondering who has vet insurance, how much you use it, and if you feel it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
We bought the Standard Plan from VPI Pet Insurance. It was $30 down and $11 a month. Actually just got the paperwork, wallet card and collar tag in the mail today. My vet said it's not real practical for routine stuff, (he charges cheap rates for shots and heartworm stuff anyway) but that it can be a godsend for catastrophic stuff. A friend of mine bought it for her cat a few years back - and kitty ended up with cancer. The insurance saved my friend about 10 G's. Seriously.

Plus, they include a Lost & Found Hotline service with the phone number printed on the collar tag, which is a nice extra. I've been socked with vet bills from various scrapes my other older dog has gotten into (busting the tip of his tail open when he whacked it against a doorframe, which resulted in 2 inches of it being amputated; swallowing an entire live rabbit in one gulp which had to be extracted from his stomach; having a pesky skin tumor removed from his knee a few times). All these things happened in one year and even though our vet charges way less than other vets, it was still expensive. The stomach extraction cost $1250 alone. So I've learned my lesson, and I'm a full-time student too! It just makes sense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got the wellness plan for my puppy from banfields located in some PetSmarts. It pays for all shots, spay/neutering, checkups, non emergency stuff like that. I have heard good and bad things about that. One of the main things you need to know about it is it is a wellness plan not insurance. Here is the link for it.

http://www.banfield.net/

The insurance i have seen links to on here is petcareinsurance.com. I have heard pretty good things about this but dont know much about it. I am thinking about switching over to this after my year on the wellness plan.

http://www.petcareinsurance.com/

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Personally, I think it is a waste of money to get pet insurance. I think it's better to open savings account and put in monthly bits of money that you would pay for the insurance company. If there's ever an emergency it will be there, and not wasted paying monthly insurance fees.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I have the Wellness plan through Banfield too. Nala's is only $15/mo because she was already spayed when I got her. She gets free vaccines, free office visits, and discounted drugs.

For the other dogs, I paid $20/mo, and they got all of the above plus their spay/neuter included. But I only kept them on the plan for their first year. They don't go to the vet often enough for it to be worth it anymore. Knock on wood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts