Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you use and why? How do you use it? I see the misuse of these tools soooooo many times. I think it is a good topic to help others.

For me, I use a pinch because I believe it is MUCH more humane.
I don't start formal obedience until one years old. Until then, all food and toy motivation.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I use the prong

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
We use a prong collar for leash training. Otherwise he wears a flat collar. Food motivation for obedience(he's only 10 months-11 months soon)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My girls rarely ever where collars unless we go out. When we do they have flat collars. I have a choke collar, but never use it. I notice a lot of people use the prong collars here.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
undesided use to use choke but think of switching after doing some reasurch i will see witch one she reacts to better ! :wink: to soon to tell !

·
Registered
807 Posts
Prong collar on chassis durning trainning some times, and others flat. We like to switch it up that way she knows she has to listen no matter what is or is not on her. Torco is a bucket guy he will do anything for food. So he is treats and toy trained at the moment.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
We use prong, but they also wear their flat collars while were out in case the prong should break for some reason. Inside, they're pretty much nekkid, otherwise Chopper will drag Jazz around by her collar.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I use flat during puppyhood start training ob with toy and food dont see a prong until they know the behavoir but wont listen that day...then i correct them but only once they understand and know. I also use Choke collar for off leash proofing
I never use a choker i hate them too must research showing how much they hurt the dogs health

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I use a gentle leader, I love it an you have full control of the dog at all times. I know that some bullies cannot wear it due to their snout not being long enough. If they have a snout like Kamali the black dog they will be ok with it.

For those that do not know what a gentle leader is it is a head collar that fits behind the ears and the shout. It is not used as a muzzle but kind of looks like one. The dog can still open their mouth. Mine play fetch while wearing theirs. I just love it. I don't have to yank very hard to correct them so no need to worry about hurting their throats. I actually walk Kamali on a 1/2" leash when she is wearing it. Without the gentle leader I have to use her 1" because she doesn't walk very nice without it.

I was told about the gentle leader by a freind that helps train Service dogs she uses them.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I use a flat on Lucy. Dozer wears a flat all the time, and when we walk or do training I use a prong.

PeterC do you have a pic of how the prong should go on. Might be good for everyone to see. I have one at home, I have to look at it almost everytime I put the prong on, to make sure I am putting it on properly, lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Flat and prong both..... prong connected to flat while walking etc, and flat all other times.... actually now that I think about it both of my dogs have the rolled leather collars I guess they are considered flat....LOL

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
AmberLove said:
I hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I use a gentle leader, I love it an you have full control of the dog at all times. I know that some bullies cannot wear it due to their snout not being long enough. If they have a snout like Kamali the black dog they will be ok with it.

For those that do not know what a gentle leader is it is a head collar that fits behind the ears and the shout. It is not used as a muzzle but kind of looks like one. The dog can still open their mouth. Mine play fetch while wearing theirs. I just love it. I don't have to yank very hard to correct them so no need to worry about hurting their throats. I actually walk Kamali on a 1/2" leash when she is wearing it. Without the gentle leader I have to use her 1" because she doesn't walk very nice without it.

I was told about the gentle leader by a freind that helps train Service dogs she uses them.
gentle leaders can cause spine problems with the twisting on the neck, I used one on my GSD I swear this why she had spine probs which lead to her being PTS. They are good for well trained dogs which need to break eye contact with other dogs.

I use a centre choke chain, mainly cos Roxy neck narrows to the top and she can slip flat collars.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Prong collar here, it makes such a difference when we go for a walk. When we are just around the house, he has a flat collar he wears.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Bremner53 said:
I use a flat on Lucy. Dozer wears a flat all the time, and when we walk or do training I use a prong.

PeterC do you have a pic of how the prong should go on. Might be good for everyone to see. I have one at home, I have to look at it almost everytime I put the prong on, to make sure I am putting it on properly, lol.
Here is an article that Lisa posted on the old forum, very informative and includes illustrations:
http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
has anyone here heard of "Dog Remedy®, a gentle response training model"

http://www.dogremedy.com/Page2.htm

I checked out that article linked above and saw mention of this, but the information on the above link is too long-winded for me at this early hour. Can anyone summarize it if they know of it?

Also, on the topic of training methods, which group would be best to contact in and around the Toronto area that do not use award/treat/pain type training? It would be ideal to not have to rely on an object like treats or a clicker when initially training a dog (if this is even possible?).

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i use whatever i need at the time! lol. flat, prong, choke, electronics or a harness all depends on what you are trying to achieve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts