Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 3 year old pit has got so bad im to the point of getting rid of him because if he is put in his crate he whines if he is put outside he whines and he doesnt stop and nobody can rest you hear him all over the neigborhood sounds like he is dieing....does anyone know if the bark control collars would work for that also

·
Banned
136 Posts
my pup was doing that. you just have to make sure he crate trained. my dog is an outside/inside dog and at first when we put him outside he just WHINED AND WHINED this horrible shrill sound. we just left him outside for 3 days (with lots of human contact), and he eventually got used to it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah, my dog's a whiner and he "talks" to me a lot. But, he is not crate trained and I live in an apartment so whenever he is outside I'm right there with him (no backyard for him to be alone in, obviously.) So I'm not really sure. Sometimes when Boss is just whining because I'm not giving him attention, a quick spray from the spray bottle is the response he gets, and he'll stop. But I only do that when I know he's not whining to go out for a pee.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
my pit whines in her sleep and if we put her out for too long (she is also and inside/outside pup)
it gets nerve wracking....she loves the laundry room tho.?? so when I cant take it anymore I just put her to bed in there and she goes right to sleep....LOL they are soo funny sometimes. maybe he is wanting something you havent figured out yet?

·
Registered
288 Posts
no bark

The number one reason I picked my dog from the shelter is because she was the only one not barking like a lunatic. They had written American Staffordshire on the cage and I said to myself, that's a pitbull, who are they kidding. Yes, I didn't know anything about pits, staffies, or dogs in general. They let her out and I proceeded to let her lick me all over my face, somewhat expecting to get bit. I then started messing with her like a typical seven year old for about an hour. The shelter people said she was a sweetie, but I thought they were just trying to get her adopted. They were right, she passed with flying colors and has been our family dog ever since. I've heard her bark about 5 times in two years and she is really loud. Just single blasts, nothing repetitive. Her whining is soft, really quiet, and she hardly does it. I consider myself very fortunate and am honored to have her for my pet.

she will be mine,

Jackie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wish mine was soft mine has a ear piercing whine that makes you want to beat the hell out of him(not really)but it really gets on your nerves...mine is a inside dog unless he goes to the bathroom or walk or something but he is about to become a outside dog real soon

·
Registered
451 Posts
hacknvp.com said:
i wish mine was soft mine has a ear piercing whine that makes you want to beat the hell out of him(not really)but it really gets on your nerves...mine is a inside dog unless he goes to the bathroom or walk or something but he is about to become a outside dog real soon
Maybe you should try to find out WHY he's whining and fix the problem instead of banishing him to the yard. I really hope you were just joking about your comments.

·
Banned
136 Posts
all you really have to do is crate train him, which is a pretty long process but worth it, and get him used to being outside by placing him out there, WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM, and bringing him back when you go back in. Then slowly leave him out, when you're not. Like maybe leave him out for just 5 min. and go back so he knows you're not abandoning him. In a wolf pack when the pack leaves one wolf, it whines so they'll come back. So he probably just thinks your abandoning him, and you have to train him to know that you're coming back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah Gracie is a whiner moreso than a barker. rarely barks, but she will whine if she wants something. If I ask her if she wants a treat or to go for a walk, she will whine until she gets it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you got to think mine is 3 YEARS old not 3 months old so this is something he has done for along time that ive tried to break

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here are my suggestions.

How much exercise are you providing. If you wear the dogs butt out then it will not whine.

Other things to keep in mind. If you submit to the whining or coddle him them he will whine more and more. Ignore it at all costs.

If ignoring it does not work then you have to set some limitations and rules for him. Everytime he makes the least amount of sound that is like a whimper then you need to correct it. You have to be consistent.

My dog Lucy used to never whine then she started to whine at the cats when they would hide from her in places she couldn't get to. At first I let it go but she soon started whining in her crate. I simply started correctly the whining consistently and it went away within days.

Correcting it does not involve physical correction. Just an assertive "No" or whatever you use to discipline your dog works. He just needs to understand that behavior is unacceptable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jleonar said:
Here are my suggestions.

How much exercise are you providing. If you wear the dogs butt out then it will not whine.

Other things to keep in mind. If you submit to the whining or coddle him them he will whine more and more. Ignore it at all costs.

If ignoring it does not work then you have to set some limitations and rules for him. Everytime he makes the least amount of sound that is like a whimper then you need to correct it. You have to be consistent.

My dog Lucy used to never whine then she started to whine at the cats when they would hide from her in places she couldn't get to. At first I let it go but she soon started whining in her crate. I simply started correctly the whining consistently and it went away within days.

Correcting it does not involve physical correction. Just an assertive "No" or whatever you use to discipline your dog works. He just needs to understand that behavior is unacceptable.

tried all of the above but thanks for the suggestions..i guess mine is just meant to sound like a siren

·
Registered
886 Posts
spray bottle

its how i crate trained my dog, he loves his crate now, and i dont know what to do about it crying outside, ive never had a dog that didnt like it outside.

Your dog is 3 years old so its gonna be a lot harder to train him, talk to a professional about it or even the petsmart trainers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: spray bottle

bigut64 said:
its how i crate trained my dog, he loves his crate now, and i dont know what to do about it crying outside, ive never had a dog that didnt like it outside.

Your dog is 3 years old so its gonna be a lot harder to train him, talk to a professional about it or even the petsmart trainers.

yea my 2 pits hate it outside...to them that is punishment

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why do they whine? My puppy Ariel is about 9months old (she is a German Shepherd, Huskey, Pit bull mix), very awesome dog. I love her more than anything, but she is the biggest whinner. All day long she whines. We take her for walks, take her for potty, give her food, play with her, we do everything. It is never enough! Sometimes i understand she is just talking (because we talk all the time). But other times it is just crazy (it can be really loud or really quite). It's good to know other dogs do it though, I think it will try the spray bottle idea.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The dog can be whining for a variety of reasons. One thing to remember is that a tired dog is a happy dog. Being that you own an APBT, 30 min. of fetch or a mile walk a day is not even close to the amount of exercise/stimulation these guys need & desire. The whining could also be a result of a conditioned response. If he whined once when outside & you let him back in, he learned that whining gets him what he wants. Same wiith being in the kennel. If one day is started whining & you let him back out, you just reinforced the behavior. My suggestion is really devote time to different types of exercise: walking, jogging, flirt pole, spring pole, fetch with a Kong, & last but not least OBEDIENCE training (sit, down, stay, leave it, take, etc). Right after a session, kennel him for a rest period & if he whines, ignore it. He may whine for the next 2 weeks but if you are providing him with all the exercise (2-3 sessionns a day min.), food, & water that he needs, then he'll eventually learn that YOU are the boss & that his demands will not be met with that kind of annoying behavior.

Good luck with him. I had one extreme whiner/barker & followed the advice I gave you & now she enjoys her kennel time & outside on the tieout time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts