Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet gave me a bottle of Rimadyl (pain meds) to give to Chico twice a day for his new hip problem. I personally, cannot take very many pain meds because I'm very sensitive so I'm a little worried about Chico. I gave him one with dinner and he hasn't moved since. That was a couple of hours ago. He basically looks like he's on a really good one if you know what I mean. I know today was stressful for him and he is probably just really exhausted. He was also sedated so he could be still feeling the aftermath of that.

I was just wondering if anybody has used this medication before? I'm kinda "on the fence" about whether or not I agree with using a lot of drugs on my dogs. He is already on allergy meds. I don't want to just let him suffer either, so I guess I'll just see how it goes. Maybe he can cut back to half if he is feeling too groggy. Up until now, he's been all natural and getting around pretty good. It's hard to tell with these bullies though. I think it would take something really substantial for him to show that he is in pain. ](*,)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have some for my dogs arthritis and I use them some times before it rains if the dog is limping.
Lately things are better so I have'nt used them I feel the same about meds use only as the last resort

·
Registered
594 Posts
It is not the strongest drug...It is kinda like the human form of tylenol III or vicodin. It works for pain really well but make sure you give it to him on a regular schedule so it works best.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
That stuff knocked my dog on his A$$...I would maybe watch Chico if he is lathargic (sp?) just give him two plain asprin not the coated stuff just plain asprin...and if he is in alot of pain maybe cut his dose in half...

You know him best just keep a eye on him because dogs are just like us with Meds some have a high tolerence and some have a very low tolerence..

e

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Amber - that is what Mags has beeen on ever since her surgery - and it doesn't afffect her at all - as far as her personality, etc - she doesn't act any differently except that I can tell she is not in as much pain.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My husband's best friend, his pitbull broke his leg, and they put him on those. He was only a few months old when it happened so they knocked him on his a$$. He would literally sleep in his crate all day, and they would have to make him wake up to go outside and potty & to eat and stuff.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My 8 yr old Rotti was on it for a couple weeks. But I never noticed any changes in him like sleeping alot more. It didn't help his limping either since there was another underlying problem. But maybe it affected him differently because he was such a large dog.

Chico's in our prayers. He's such a gorgeous dog. Personally, if I could see that he was in pain I would give it to him. If he's not showing any signs of discomfort and the drug knocked him on his butt I would consider not giving it to him. Just give when he's symptomatic.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Oh forgot to mention - she was taking two pills a day right after her surgery but then I cut back to one a day and then half a day - and now I just give her half a pill when I know she is going to be doing lots of running or when I see her limping.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A lot of times dogs sleep alot after starting pain meds because the are making up for lost sleep. While they had pain they didnt sleep well and now they are making up for it. If it continues for more than a few days, call the vet and switch drugs.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IronstayK9 said:
A lot of times dogs sleep alot after starting pain meds because the are making up for lost sleep. While they had pain they didnt sleep well and now they are making up for it. If it continues for more than a few days, call the vet and switch drugs.
I think he is making up for lost sleep because he never really slept well before. He is a very lethargic dog anyways. He is eating fine and doesn't seem to be acting weird. When he wakes up, he's in a good mood. I think it may have been from being sedated earlier in the day though too. I just gave him half the dosage this morning and he's totally crashed out again but if I go wake him up he doesn't act like he's drugged or anything. I'll keep an eye on him and if he seems weird I may cut back a little more.
-Thanks for all the advice, it's so nice that there are so many people on here with experience on almost anything.
-Amber

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
bearsmom said:
My 8 yr old Rotti was on it for a couple weeks. But I never noticed any changes in him like sleeping alot more. It didn't help his limping either since there was another underlying problem. But maybe it affected him differently because he was such a large dog.

Chico's in our prayers. He's such a gorgeous dog. Personally, if I could see that he was in pain I would give it to him. If he's not showing any signs of discomfort and the drug knocked him on his butt I would consider not giving it to him. Just give when he's symptomatic.
ditto :wink:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Rimadyl is a great drug when used properly & for a short period of time. However, it is NOT the drug of choice for long-term use. Did the vet mention if he was to be on this for a long while? Or just use when he seems in severe pain?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Miakoda said:
Rimadyl is a great drug when used properly & for a short period of time. However, it is NOT the drug of choice for long-term use. Did the vet mention if he was to be on this for a long while? Or just use when he seems in severe pain?
The vet only gave me a 10 day supply so I'm assuming it was only meant to be used temporarily. He was concerned that Chico would be pretty sore after the x-rays because Chico was really stiff when he was positioning the legs.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
Miakoda said:
The vet only gave me a 10 day supply so I'm assuming it was only meant to be used temporarily. He was concerned that Chico would be pretty sore after the x-rays because Chico was really stiff when he was positioning the legs.
Thats prollymost likely - he had me slowly reduce the amount Mags was on after her surgery - and now I just keep a supply on hand for days when she is really hurting and give it 'as needed'

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ask your vet about duramax- Sadie did not do well on rimadyl - so the vet switched to duramax-there was a huge difference

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The vet said they are going to give me some Rimadyl for him when I pick him up later from his neuter. Do they always give them stuff after neuter?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
The vet said they are going to give me some Rimadyl for him when I pick him up later from his neuter. Do they always give them stuff after neuter?
It is not common practice for our clinic to prescribe pain meds after a routine spay/neuter. However, it can make some owners feel better to have these meds on hand just in case so I'd say the decision is up to you whether you want to get it filled or not. My only advice is to give it ONLY if he is showing signs of discomfort/pain & make sure that he takes the meds with food or else he'll end up with GI upset.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ok, thanks. Not sure how much they are giving me, but I will use it sparingly, and keep a close eye on him. I am just worried b/c he bites at his junk a lot and I am afraid he will rip out the stitches.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
Ok, thanks. Not sure how much they are giving me, but I will use it sparingly, and keep a close eye on him. I am just worried b/c he bites at his junk a lot and I am afraid he will rip out the stitches.
Then I suggest buying an e-collar (Elizabethan collar that is :wink: ) & putting it on him right off the bat. Use duct tape to tape the flaps closed so they don't get caught as he's moving around & pull the thing off. This will prevent him from doing any damage by licking/chewing right off the bat. Better to stop it before it starts. :)

Oh, & if your vet charges an arm & a leg for the collars, run by Petsmart first. They really are pretty inexpensive & are great to have on hand anyways.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Not a problem. My vet is at Petsmart. He is going to hate that. He doesn't even like wearing a collar. I can't wait to see how he will react to that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts