Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,008 Posts
Just some info on Pepto for anyone who is reading this:

1) Aspirin can have a toxic effect on cats and there is aspirin in Pepto Bismol.

2) Pepto will harden up stools and make it black looking.

3) I rely on Pepto alot with my dogs, has pulled them through many a tummy problem,
but if you think the dog could have a blockage I would not use it as this could block
them up more.

4) Use mineral oil or plain canned pumpkin for constipation not Pepto.

5) Use Pepto for Diarrhea, also offers relief for heartburn, nausea, indigestion, and upset stomach.

Summary:

Pepto disclaimer: "Bismuth subsalicylate is used to treat mild vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. It can be fatal if used in cats; use only under direct supervision of your veterinarian. Tongue and stool may darken temporarily. If the vomiting and/or diarrhea persists for more than 48 hours; the pet has a fever, is depressed or shows abdominal pain; or the pet does not continue to be active and alert, contact your veterinarian."

Read before using:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1459&articleid=1456

·
Registered
965 Posts
Try canned pumpkin.

Canned pumpkin works awesome. It works for diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomit, etc. And you can't really overdose it.

I normally use 1tsp for dogs <10lbs, 1tbsp for dogs 10lbs - 30lbs, 2tbsp for dogs 30lbs - 60lbs, 3tbsp for dogs 60lbs - 90lbs, and 4tbsp for dogs >90lbs. I use this amount with each feeding, or if in place of each feeding when you are fasting the dog. Sometime I use more when I am anticipating some serious upset.

I used it when Matieca ate 57 of her DGP pills in one sitting. I fed her two cooked eggs, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and 1/2 can of pumpkin. I fed that mix to her in the morning and evening the next day. She never had any anything from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.