Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The age you decide to fix your dog DOES NOT affect there growth in the terms of stunting the growth. The grown size of the animal is determined by their genes. Early neutering tends to slow down the growth, whereas they grow to around the same size but it takes longer to get there. there are also reports that state this slower growth is better for the dog as the bones tend to grow thicker and then longer (versus longer and thinner). this leads to stronger bones and is especially great for the large or giant breeds. I'm not sure which studies the article angie posted were refering to, but my vet has studied this and read different.

Almost all rescue pups are fixed early and I have yet to see one with stunted growth. A friend of mine's rescued pit bull was neutered at 5 weeks old and he is now grown and weighs 70 lbs. It took him three years to get there, but he got there.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.