Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about garlic.Does it good or bad for the dogs.I was searcing the e-net and had find different opinions about that.Some people saying it's very good, some says it's very bad.
Please if someone know for sure from their own expirience let me know.
Thanks.

Ariana+Tyson

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Well I'm no vet but i was always told that garlic was good to keep fleas away from dogs. Sorry I can't give you a definate.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well mine eat garlic not a lot , its in a lot of dog treats etc. I have not had any problems at all Like all things too much is bad but moderation is fine and yes it is very good to keep the fleas off and so it tea tree oil a drop of it you apply just like you would frontline and it works good for fleas just don't let them lick it

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You will find most natural treats have garlic in them. Infact, Solid Gold dog food has garlic and Natural choice dog food has it a lot of the natural foods that are considered topp of the line food have it. If you are feeding any of the treats or foods that have it there is no need to give them extra I would read the ingrediance of the dogs foods and treats too see

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Aside from repelling fleas, it's a powerful antioxidant. I don't feed it that often, but I know others that do. Garlic contains the same toxic compound as onions (thiosulphate). Onions are far more toxic than garlic, and it would take a very large amount of garlic to cause health problems.

Thiosulphate can result in haemolytic anaemia, where the dogs red blood cells burst. This affects all sorts of other functions, including the liver, muscle, heart, breathing, and more. All resultant from lack of oxygen, and co2 retention since many of the red blood cells can no longer perform gas exchange. I've never heard of this happening with garlic, but I'm sure if you dropped a large jar and your dog lapped it up or something like that you might have a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts