Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Aside from repelling fleas, it's a powerful antioxidant. I don't feed it that often, but I know others that do. Garlic contains the same toxic compound as onions (thiosulphate). Onions are far more toxic than garlic, and it would take a very large amount of garlic to cause health problems.

Thiosulphate can result in haemolytic anaemia, where the dogs red blood cells burst. This affects all sorts of other functions, including the liver, muscle, heart, breathing, and more. All resultant from lack of oxygen, and co2 retention since many of the red blood cells can no longer perform gas exchange. I've never heard of this happening with garlic, but I'm sure if you dropped a large jar and your dog lapped it up or something like that you might have a problem.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.