Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vet appt for mo tomorrow morning. He has had some weird issues of late. He had the big diarrhea episode last week. Since then we cannot get his poop to firm up. He has been eating chicken and rice for about a week now as directed by the vet. His poops are a mix of half soft, half liquid. There is no blood, but they are a weird orangish color. I don't know if it is due to the change in diet or what. i have read that a symptom of Parvo is yellow poop. He has been a mopey lately, also a symptom. Contrary to the symptoms however, he really loves the chicken and rice and goes apesh!t when I start cooking it, so it seems his appetite is fine. Additionally he has an unusual spot near his tail. To me it looks like a melanoma. It is about 1/4th the size of an eraser, but it is very dark and is raised like a mole. We thought it was a scab, but it has remained for a couple of months now and seems to have gotten slightly bigger.

When I told the vet I had concerns about parvo she seemed pretty confident that it wasn't going to be that. But when I told her of the spot, she said he would have to postpone his dental cleaning (which I wanted to do this week) because she had to make sure he was strong enough for surgery and didn't have a weakend immune system. She was a little ambiguous about where she was going with that. Now I am worried.

To top it off, Mo's brother Jaxson died this week. While we have never been able to prove they were brothers we have a hunch they are. Same build, same face, found together, etc. We have heard secondhand that he passed due to stomach issues, which only compounds the worry about Mo.

How long does it take to get results from the stool sample for parvo, or biopsy for the mole?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Koda had parvo, and they can do the test right there in the office - it looked just like a pregnancy test but they do it with their poo instead of urine. From the sounds of it, I doubt it's parvo, because he wouldn't be eating at all, and he would be throwing up constantly - along with constant diarrhea...that smells absolutely horrid because of the blood that's in it. I'm not familiar with the other thing you may think it is, but either way I hope Mo is okay, because I love that little guy to death!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hope he doesnt have parvo, i havent had experience with it so i cant give any advice. But i have had all three of my pups tested for parvo, i got the results within just a few minutes. Its not something you should have to wait a few days on. Harley had a raised lump on her tail that looked like a scab. I left it alone for a few days since i thought was a scab, once her hair started falling from it i took her to the vet. they said it wasnt cancerous so they didnt do a biopsy. they shaved the area and scraped the top of it off. we tried a cream for a bacterial infection which didnt work, then we tried a liquid used for fungus which did the trick. ask them if it could be one of those two, bacteria or fungus. no need in doing a biopsy if its not needed. good luck guys!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I hope Mo is ok. :(

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Good, I am glad we will know right away. We are leaving on our camping trip tomorrow so it will be good not to be in limbo.

This is gross but I thought mo's spot was a tick at first and tried to get it off, when I did it bled a little and came back a few days later where it has stayed for months.

What does a biopsy usually cost? i might be more comfortable just having it done and knowing for sure one way or the other.

·
Registered
410 Posts
we had a pup who had gotten parvo but his stools were very dark... almost black and like apbtgurl26 said they really loose intrest in food and if they eat or drink they pretty much throw up right away or shortly after it along with watery poo....... I wouldn't think the biopsy would be over $100 but then again I live in a pricey state where everything costs a arm and a leg... I can't seem to get out of the vets office for a normal check up for under $100 anyway!! Are you sure he does not have a stomach blockage or partial blockage of some kind??? Titus had a spot on his upper lip near his whiskers and it stayed for a few months and went away, it was one of those things that bullies get (forgot what it was called) I know a few people here on the board like Bella has had them kinda like a cyst of some sort... and his was a funny color too.... I just let it be and is finally went down... but since Mo is having other issues to you probably would be wise to go ahead and get it checked out just to rule out any other problems and to put your mind at ease.....Hope Mo feels better soon...keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
The cyst thing wizworx is talking about is a histiocytoma. Icky looking, but relatively harmless. I would do a biopsy anyway, just to be sure. And his tummy problem doesn't sound like parvo to me, but again - better safe than sorry. I would have the vet take a look at both things, especially since the chicken and rice hasn't had the desired effect.

Poor Momers! I hope it's all nothing and he feels better soon. :cry:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, you have put me at ease a little more. For the record Mo doesn't appear too sick, just a little lazy. I am just worried because he is not normal fecally:oops: . I guess it could be a partial blockage, I forgot to mention was that he is not pooping much. He is usually very regular; once in the morning, once at night. Now it may be once a day, and they are small.

I saw the pics of histiocytomas, it doesn't look like that.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Tanner just got over something simialar to this. He had loose stools for a week and still acted fine and ate fine. We took him in and had him tested for everything. Nothing came back positive but she said that some parasites don't show up in the testing so she gave me some meds that cost 9 dollars and he took them twice a day for 5 days and was fine after the 2 day. All together the trip only costed me like 40 dollars. That included the meds. I don't know about the biopsy. He might just have a parasite that he just needs meds for. Tanner has been fine every since he took those meds. That was 3 weeks ago. Hope Mo is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Mo is in the vet now and I am awaiting their call. They are doing everything today, biopsy on and removal of the spot, xrays to check for obsrtuctions, stool samples, blood work, vacs, heartguard, ear cleaning, HD check. For some reason he thinks his teeth aren't bad. His teeth are much dirtier than his buddy Sam, who's twice Mo's age.

I passed the $400 mark already. :shock:

We'll see what he says later this afternoon.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Best of luck to Momers!! Anxiously awaiting your answer.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Oh no, not Mo! I'm sorry he's feeling down. It seems that sickness is spreading like wildfire on this board lately! I really don't think it is Parvo, from what I've heard, that stuff comes on pretty strong. I just had several lengthy discussions about blockage and most of the vets told me that the dog would be vomiting a lot with very little to nothing coming out the back side. Obviously, there are always exceptions. I really hope it's nothing big. My brother's boxer gets fatty tumors and cysts that need to be removed all the time. They're pretty harmless. Hopefully it will be something like that. Mo will be in my prayers today. If Heidi could go over there, she would be giving him huge kisses and snuggles today!

Amber

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the concern over Mo. :) The test results were negative for both parvo and intestinal blockages. They want him on the bland diet for a few more days and have given him anti-biotics and ear drops.

The spot was removed and will be biopsied. He said what it was, but I forgot. Hyngeoma or something like it. Bottom line is he said it probably wasn't a big deal.

The best news is that his hips look good. He said it is still a little early to give a final 'all clear' for hip displaysia, he said his hips look great for now. I was really worried about this since we don't know his history and could probably assume that he has some BYB genes.

I go to a county animal hospital and I got lots of glares from the prissy soccer moms when they brought Mo out. :roll: (No offense to any bully loving soccer moms here.) Meanwhile a lady filling out paperwork was oblivious that her german sheppard snapped at another dog and growled at a 5-6 year old boy who was just standing there. Nobody seemed to worried about this dog though, just Mo.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
cannon said:
Thanks for the concern over Mo. :) The test results were negative for both parvo and intestinal blockages. They want him on the bland diet for a few more days and have given him anti-biotics and ear drops.

The spot was removed and will be biopsied. He said what it was, but I forgot. Hyngeoma or something like it. Bottom line is he said it probably wasn't a big deal.

The best news is that his hips look good. He said it is still a little early to give a final 'all clear' for hip displaysia, he said his hips look great for now. I was really worried about this since we don't know his history and could probably assume that he has some BYB genes.

I go to a county animal hospital and I got lots of glares from the prissy soccer moms when they brought Mo out. :roll: (No offense to any bully loving soccer moms here.) Meanwhile a lady filling out paperwork was oblivious that her german sheppard snapped at another dog and growled at a 5-6 year old boy who was just standing there. Nobody seemed to worried about this dog though, just Mo.
That's sad...I hate being around people like that. I guess I'm lucky, because everyone goes nuts over Koda & Shelby when they go to the vet.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Great news for Mo!!!!! What a stud! Maybe he's been dippin into the diet pills. Trying to slim down for your big trip ! :wink: He's gotta look sexy for the ladies, you know!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
Great news for Mo!!!!! What a stud! Maybe he's been dippin into the diet pills. Trying to slim down for your big trip ! :wink: He's gotta look sexy for the ladies, you know!
That was cute :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts