Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Orijin feeding guidelines are much smaller recomneded starting portions than alot of brands are.

couple quotes directly from Orijin I thought was suitable:

We recommend that you feed twice daily. Simply divide the amount suggested on the feeding guide into two meals, spaced eight to twelve hours apart. You may need to adjust portions as you learn your dog’s ideal daily “maintenance” amount, always keeping in mind that a lean dog is a healthy dog!
Many dogs have large appetites and will eat all you feed them. As ORIJEN foods are highly palatable, you need to be careful not to overfeed.
Obesity at any age can cause serious health issues. While all of our foods have feeding guidelines printed on the package, every dog is different and these guides really are just a starting point.
Keep a close eye on your dog or cat’s body condition. If he or she looks too thin, feed a little more. If he looks like he is carrying too much weight, scale back a little at a time.
While your dog or cat may act hungry, their body condition is the best gauge of how much to feed.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i feed acana - and the recommendations on the bag are wayyyy tooo much, Id assume the same to be true with Orijen (same makers)...just a heads up!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
To compare... Science Diet (what I got at the shelter when we started fostering LittleFoot, so kept her on it until she was healed) suggests 1 3/4 cups for her. I just bought TOTW Pacific Stream and it sugests 2 1/4- 3 2/3 cups. Seriously??? I fed her a cup a day at first, split into 3 meals, and now a little more than that. She was chunky at first and is how in good shape and much more eager to work for her food and listen.

You really have to go by your dogs look, behavior and stool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My OEB is 12 weeks and about 17 pounds. Our vet owns one as well and he stated if shes hungry let her eat at that age she plays all the time and goes for walks 3 times a day plus plays with a 3 year old lab daily. He said at that age feeding her more wont hurt and it wont make er fat as she gets older we will have to scale back but for now blue puppy dog food is adequate. I feed her 1 cup for dinner and breakfest with a third at lunch. Shes not fat has a trim waistline with visible hips and shoulder bones.

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
Yeah, puppies expend more energy. I have always fed my dog 2 and 1/2 to 3 cups of
food per day. She is in perfect shape. She eats when she is hungry; sometimes more and sometimes less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
first off stop feeding "large breed food", OEBs are not large breeds and esp yours being so small at 6 months. You do not have a large breed.
2nd, 3 cups for 30 pounds is WAY WAY too much food! i would cut down half. feeding more food wont make her grow it will just make her FAT!
Bulldogs take up to 3 years to fully develop, she might just be a slow grower. Nothing wrong with a mini-bulldog, prolly just has more EB in her than most OEBs do.
I do NOT agree with you one little bit. Quit being a Karen. I feed my 2 1/2 month old Bully 4 cups of food a day. He is 30 pounds, super healthy, not fat at all and I don't know what breeds you deal with but my OEB before he passed was 120, that is a LARGE breed dog?! Geezus.

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
Slow down Bullylover67. No need to be insulting - just giving your view point will do.
Every dog is different. We have a 90 pound Golden Retreiver who is 15 lbs over weight. He eats 3 cups of food a day at three different times.
No matter what we do he stays at the same weight. If he were to eat 4 to 6 cups he would really be mammoth. Each dog has its own metabolism -
so how much you feed your dog is up to how much its body will burn off.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts