Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Does my 5 1/2 month old Olde English Bulldogge weigh enough?

57K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  gazar 
#1 ·
Dog Bulldog Dog breed Carnivore Whiskers

My Olde English Bulldogge is going to be 6 months in about a week. I weighed her today, and she is only 29 pounds. That seems small to me, am I right? Should I do something about her feeding amount? She eats 1 cup of blue buffalo large breed puppy food three times a day. Today I was thinking of increasing the amount to 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day, or 2 cups twice a day. Let me know if you have any advice or if you think she is at a normal weight for her age. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post pictures of her standing from above and from the side?

No 2 dogs will be the same weight at the same age. She might just be a smaller dog. Which there is nothing wrong with..EB should be nice and trim.. not round and fat... so with posting pictures we can help you with seeing if she is too small... do her hip bones stick out? Can you see her last rib or two? Hip bones shouldn't stick out.. but seeing the last rib or two with a nice tuck and a nice waist is what you want!

#4 ·
first off stop feeding "large breed food", OEBs are not large breeds and esp yours being so small at 6 months. You do not have a large breed.
2nd, 3 cups for 30 pounds is WAY WAY too much food! i would cut down half. feeding more food wont make her grow it will just make her FAT!
Bulldogs take up to 3 years to fully develop, she might just be a slow grower. Nothing wrong with a mini-bulldog, prolly just has more EB in her than most OEBs do.

#7 ·
Nobody can really tell you what your pup should weigh at a given age. Its going to depend on a number of factors. Things like the size of the parents, the bloodline it comes from, and the genetics your pup got. OEBs can range in size from about 45 to well over a hundred pounds.

#8 ·
Your dog might be a bit smaller, actually about half the weight of mine at the same age, but nothing wrong with that. 3 cups a day for a 29 lb dog is way to much, thats the same amount I feed my 85 lb OEB a day. Like Orson said, giving more food just = fatter, I would probably cut back from the 3 cups a day you give now.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am feeding her three cups because the recommended feeding chart on her food says that is what she needs if she will weigh between 50-70 pounds when she is full grown, which I believe most OEB's do, maybe I'm wrong. I have to get her new food today anyways, so maybe I should swich to a puppy food that is not large breed, what do you think? Any suggestions on better brands? The last thing I want is for her to be over weight, so thanks again.

#12 ·
Olde English are so different by the dog it really just depends. Mine was 30 lbs at 3 mo, but he is a taller olde. It really jut depends on the dog. They should have a defined waste line and you should be able to see the last couple ribs. I can also see my dog spine. Bulldogs would eat non stop if you let them, but mine ate 4 cups around 6 mo. Hes a year now and eats 2 cups (1 cup twice a day).

#14 ·
I added pics to my profile, I can't figure out how to add them here though, I'm new at this still, LOL. I think I'm just anxious to see her full size and that's why I was doubting her being the correct weight. After hearing what many of you have to say I realise I need to be patient and she will get there when she does. If she's on the smaller size, that's fine with me. I remember when I first got her I was hoping she wouldn't get too too big. She's not going to be bred, just a pampered and loved member of the family. :)

#22 ·
Orijin feeding guidelines are much smaller recomneded starting portions than alot of brands are.

couple quotes directly from Orijin I thought was suitable:

We recommend that you feed twice daily. Simply divide the amount suggested on the feeding guide into two meals, spaced eight to twelve hours apart. You may need to adjust portions as you learn your dog’s ideal daily “maintenance” amount, always keeping in mind that a lean dog is a healthy dog!
Many dogs have large appetites and will eat all you feed them. As ORIJEN foods are highly palatable, you need to be careful not to overfeed.
Obesity at any age can cause serious health issues. While all of our foods have feeding guidelines printed on the package, every dog is different and these guides really are just a starting point.
Keep a close eye on your dog or cat’s body condition. If he or she looks too thin, feed a little more. If he looks like he is carrying too much weight, scale back a little at a time.
While your dog or cat may act hungry, their body condition is the best gauge of how much to feed.

#24 ·
To compare... Science Diet (what I got at the shelter when we started fostering LittleFoot, so kept her on it until she was healed) suggests 1 3/4 cups for her. I just bought TOTW Pacific Stream and it sugests 2 1/4- 3 2/3 cups. Seriously??? I fed her a cup a day at first, split into 3 meals, and now a little more than that. She was chunky at first and is how in good shape and much more eager to work for her food and listen.

You really have to go by your dogs look, behavior and stool.

#25 ·
My OEB is 12 weeks and about 17 pounds. Our vet owns one as well and he stated if shes hungry let her eat at that age she plays all the time and goes for walks 3 times a day plus plays with a 3 year old lab daily. He said at that age feeding her more wont hurt and it wont make er fat as she gets older we will have to scale back but for now blue puppy dog food is adequate. I feed her 1 cup for dinner and breakfest with a third at lunch. Shes not fat has a trim waistline with visible hips and shoulder bones.

#28 ·
Slow down Bullylover67. No need to be insulting - just giving your view point will do.
Every dog is different. We have a 90 pound Golden Retreiver who is 15 lbs over weight. He eats 3 cups of food a day at three different times.
No matter what we do he stays at the same weight. If he were to eat 4 to 6 cups he would really be mammoth. Each dog has its own metabolism -
so how much you feed your dog is up to how much its body will burn off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.