Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got my pup from the airport Monday. He's 9 wks. Decided on Tyson for his name
I spent yesterday with him takin off from work. Today is the first day he has been alone in the house.

This is the events so far:

5am : wake up, outside, food/water, play, outside

6am : put in the crate, and we leave for the day.

9am : friend gives him a potty break and fun
9:15 : back in crate.

12:30 : brother-in-law gives Tyson lunch and water, outside, play
1:00 : back in crate.

-----------------------

2:30ish : Same friend giving a outside break

4:30 : I'M HOME

Is this a good one to keep, or should I add/take out anything?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Scheduling

this is good to start house training a dog but of course eventually it will be best to let him go all day in the crate unless you want to have to come home all the time as this shcedule if kept for long will become his regular schedule. His body will get used to it and he will NEED you there to eliminate. At some point put him on a schedule that will best suit yours unless you can have someone come in for the next 15 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I agree with you totally.

Being 9wks I read that 3-4 hrs max is his ability to hold it. I do plan on phasing out the midmorning, and afternoon breaks sometime. Just don know when....

I dont want to leave him in the crate long enough for him to go in there. I feel this breaks his confidence >!?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think it sounds like a great schedule. I was lucky enough to be able to bring Zeus to work from 8 weeks old till 3 weeks ago and he is now 5 months old. That helped alot.
Kids have been home all summer until this past week and let him go in and out. This week is the first time he has been in a crate all day and he has done great. No accidents at all.
Oh, and I leave at 7:15am and get home around 4:30.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Confidence

Not I don't think so...in fact it grosses them out enough normally they think twice about it next time..most animals don't really like sitting in their own urine or fecal matter all day. Although my Miniature pinscher use to be a stray and he pees all the time in the crate and never holds it. I thought it may be cause small breeds can't hold it as long but my Yorkshire was litter trained and had a litter box in his crate. Recenetly I moved him crates and he does not go in his cage and he is smaller than the MinPIN. Some dogs don't really care...like my MINPIN but generally they don't want to be stuck in the smell as sensitive as their noses are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts