Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Her crate is in the den/laundry room level (down stairs, access to the garage and back yard) and she doesn't go up to the kitchen/living/dining level or on up to the bedrooms, even when called & coaxed. I've stood in the kitchen at the top of on set of stairs and call her and she will come to the steps and bark and bounce. There was no tramatic event with the people I got her from or at our house. I've carried her up to each level, put her down, and she explores like everything is alright, but she won't go back down either. My past owned dogs (all boys) would just take off from the den and you might find them anywhere. It's not a problem that she stays downstairs, but is this something anybody else has experienced?

I'm thinking about putting a treat on each step and see what happens. :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
tycosales said:
Her crate is in the den/laundry room level (down stairs, access to the garage and back yard) and she doesn't go up to the kitchen/living/dining level or on up to the bedrooms, even when called & coaxed. I've stood in the kitchen at the top of on set of stairs and call her and she will come to the steps and bark and bounce. There was no tramatic event with the people I got her from or at our house. I've carried her up to each level, put her down, and she explores like everything is alright, but she won't go back down either. My past owned dogs (all boys) would just take off from the den and you might find them anywhere. It's not a problem that she stays downstairs, but is this something anybody else has experienced?

I'm thinking about putting a treat on each step and see what happens. :lol:
PLEASE i WISH i had your problem!
Our living area is downstairs, and bedrooms are upstairs.
Patch isn't allowed upstairs but CONSTANTLY tries to sneak up there!!!!!
It's such a huge hassle because i can't go upstairs to put something away, etc. because he tries to follow me up and sometimes succeeds, only to be told 'No' and sent back downstairs!!!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
mine has fallen down the stairs (on the way up and way down) several times, and is now hesitant to do annnnnnnnything around the stairs

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Harley will not go down basement steps.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I know this is going to sound crazy, but try a blindfold and his favorite treat. Just as if you had to lead a horse out of a burning barn. Put his collar on then blindfold him and coax him with his favorite treat up the stairs. Maybe if he can't see the stairs he won't be as afraid of them. Let us know how you make out and solve this problem.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'll install a couple of ADA approved ramps :lol:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update

Last night I put my flipflops about 5 steps up from the den. Sassy & I were palying tug and retrieve with a black tennis ball/fake squirrel tail toy from Gander Mountain. I threw it at the bottom of the steps and turned back towards the tv. When she poped around the sofa she had one of my flipflops and brought it to me. Mmmmmmm. So i put it back with the other and repeated the toy throw. I peaked over the sofa and saw her with 3 feet on the steps and hesitantly lifting the other back leg. I called her name and she bounded around the sofa all wiggly and smiles, just like a kid caught with the candy jar. I think treats on the steps will work, or round up every flipflop in the house.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My golden retreiver had that issue when she was young. I used treats and praise to slowly lure her up and down. It took several times, but after a while she was bolting up and down with no hesitation at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts