Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 11 week old AB.
When I feed him in the morning and at night he eats very well. The problem is during lunch time. He doesnt want to eat more then a couple of bites, only drinks water. I usually feed him 2 cups in the each time (3 times a day). Is this normal? The feeding times are 7am, 1pm and 6 pm. I took him to the vet when I got him and they said he was a little under weight. A week later I took him back for his shots and he had gained two pounds. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Atticus was eating like that for a while. I think it's just a matter of finding out the perfect food that your dog wants.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try picking the bowl up and act like you are eating out of it and then put it back down and see if he eats some more. I have used that "trick" on several dogs before.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Maybe try moist food for a little while.. then mix it in with the dry, then go back to dry only. Maybe he's just finicky?

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Oh yeah, good call! THAT'S how we got Atticus to start eating! He wouldn't eat his dry kibble AT ALL, so we started mixing in ground beef, or cheese, and now it's moist food. So, he gets 2 cups kibble, 1/2 can moist.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sheila has her anorexic bouts as well :lol: She will go a day or two of barely eating anything, maybe a few bites worth. Then all of a sudden she eats like she has not eaten in weeks!!! We mix some of the natural wet food in a tube (forgot the name) not as moist as canned food, and all natural, which has helped a bit. She is 55lbs now, seems like yesterday she weighed 13lbs :cry:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You feed this puppy 6 cups of food per day? I bet that is part of the problem. He is probably still full from breakfast. That is alot of food. 4 cups a day should be enough...eliminate the lunch hour feeding.

Also, make sure that whenever your pup walks away from his food bowl to remove his food. Do not allow this puppy to chose when he eats. When that food goes down, the pup should eat the whole portion at once.... if he walks away, the food goes away until the next meal. That should help prevent picky eating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts