Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Is it possible to eliminate dog aggressivness?

• No way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know bullies tend to become dog aggressive at a certain age. But what can you do to eliminate it? So your dogs are okay with all dogs.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I don't believe that it can be eliminated, but it can be controlled.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Do you mean ok as in can go up to another dog without lunging, growling, and barking? Or ok as in can play normally together? Bogart can play fine with small dogs and puppies, but with big dogs (especially dominant type breeds), he is impossible to control. I would like some tips on how I could control this. We always have to just avoid them on our walks and stuff.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
I can control and avoid it in my house....and with other submissive dogs, but NEVER would even TRY to control it with other aggressive dogs.

~S

·
Registered
979 Posts
It depends on what you mean? Can you get a dog agressive dog to ignore other dogs in his proximity? Probably. Can you get a dog agressive dog to love, frollic and play with dogs? I wouldn't bet the house on that one.

Paula

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
This is my primary issue with Cesar Millan!!!!!!!!!!! He makes it sound as if you can teach pack behavior to bullies, NO flippin way!!!!!!!!! I think a pro maybe able to manage it but the average person allowing an agressive dog to play with other dogs is a law suit waiting to happen

·
Registered
214 Posts
Spastic dogs

Any tips on introducing my AB to "high energy" dogs. He is fine with older more calm dogs or dogs who are fairly low key. He sniffs butts then ignores them. He loves our next door neighbor's Rotweiler they play together just fine. He doesn't do well with a dog that is bouncing off the walls (usually a breed that is tiny and fragile). He has never bit another dog for this, but he does what we call the "nose ram" where he jabs them with his muzzle but keeps his mouth closed. I don't know if he is afraid of their hyperness or what. Is there a way to teach him to put up with their nonsense, as I live in an are where people seem to have no problem ignoring the leash laws and dogs come running off front porches to say hi 3 or 4 times on every walk. I just don't want somebody's poodle to get hurt.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I voted for "no way." I just find it hard to believe that you can eliminate dog aggression. Sometimes Bogart will freak out at a dog across the street. I can wave treats in front of his face to try and distract him, but he doesn't care about the treat, and that says a lot because he is extremely food motivated. If there is a way, I would love to know how.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay well this is what I heard, you work your way up. And please, i'm not sure even I believe this so i'm not saying it works. But you start with regular calm submissive dogs and then just being around other dominant dogs while walking and slowly accumulate to just sniffing butts. I'm not sure if it works or even if i'll try. But that's just something I read.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
Okay well this is what I heard, you work your way up. And please, i'm not sure even I believe this so i'm not saying it works. But you start with regular calm submissive dogs and then just being around other dominant dogs while walking and slowly accumulate to just sniffing butts. I'm not sure if it works or even if i'll try. But that's just something I read.
I think you're on your way to another dog fight.. which will be the 4th one? Please be careful, I'd hate to see either of you get hurt. :(

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
peeblerelf said:
Kasco said:
I don't believe that it can be eliminated, but it can be controlled.
ditto!
Me too.

Speaking from some experience, my pit was EXTREMELY dog aggressive. She would walk by another cage,
latch on with her teeth, and violently shake the door trying to break into it to get another dog if it was barking.
She also couldn't come within 5 feet of another dog on the street. When I got my pomeranian, she was a three
month old puppy weighing one pound. I didn't trust Rose off leash with her, but I let them share the same room
with me right there to quickly stop my dog should she more in for the kill. I don't know if it was luck, the pom's
small size, the fact that she was a puppy that didn't fight, I don't know. But my pit fully accepted her. plus it
helped that I didn't treat the new pup special. Red was walked first and fed first, then I started walking them and
feeding them together. Did I leave them alone together? No. did I trust her with other dogs? never.

Never trust a bully NOT to fight, the second you turn your guard down can be the time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll vote after we work with our trainer again.

I don't believe in just working with a submissive dog, when Storms out walking any dog will be in her focus. A person up the road recently got a rotti pup and while we allowed Sam to meet and greet the pup Storm at first sight of the pup went into her attack mode and was walked straight past the pup. This pup was only 10weeks old totally a submissive little guy but Storm from 10metres away showed just what she'd like to do to him. :(

I wonder how much the lead has to do with her aggression. She's submissive to Sam in our yard but when walking and a roaming dog runs at us she'll push in front of Sam to be the one in charge of the fight.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Oh leashes definately make a dog more ready to protect, that's why they recommend when people go to
the dogpark to unleash their dogs at the little area before you enter. A dog that won't normally fight will
fight when on leash. They're more anxious.. I wouldn't test this theory yourself though.
:shock:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree Royalty.....leashes on some dogs definetly up the tension, especially if you are yanking them back close to you. But with some dogs they NEED a leash, otherwise all heck might break loose.

I think that you can maybe minimize dog aggression if the dog is very young, and you socialize him/her a lot. But even then the dog can still change, or have a bad experience and they can become dog aggressive. I think it is a combo of socialization, or a lack of, and just the dogs general instincts towards other dogs. There was an 8 year old pit who used to go to this "puppy daycare" that I took my dog to, and she was a gem, and was NEVER aggressive, or even pushy in any sort of way towards ANY of the dogs....so it is possible.

I also think too that for a lot of dogs it really depends what dogs your dog socializes with. Some dogs will be completely fine with most dogs, but a certain dog (usually either an aggressive dog, or a very timid dog) might just set them off. When I was younger my parents dog was great with most dogs, and was even quite submissive with some more aggressive dogs, but there was this one dog that always went to the park that would always want to rumble, and for whatever reason my parents dog just wanted to have a go at this dog too....I really don't know why? We just stopped going to the park before something happened, but I know she definetly wanted to fight this dog.

All in all, I think it can be trained out of them a little bit, but not with every dog, and not in every situation.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LuvaBULL said:
ambulldogpup said:
I think you're on your way to another dog fight.. which will be the 4th one? Please be careful, I'd hate to see either of you get hurt. :(
Have you no faith? LOL, I know i'm just joking. But seriously, I think that's part of the process, I can control Abby, and i'm careful of which dogs she's around. For instance, I won't let her go sniff a dog that someones walking on the street. The dogs I walk are the ones she can meet, the ones that are stable and all pooped out. I walk them for an hour then let them aknowledge each other, it's worked everytime. Not much I can say for the unstable dogs that go up to Abby, that's why I stay away from them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Leash Laws be damned!!!

I still wish I knew what to do about all of the maniacs where I live who leave their dogs loose in the yard. It makes walking mine not so fun. It's always the little ankle biter dogs who think they are going to come running out and attack Bam-Bam. Any of these dogs would fit almost completly in his mouth! I don't understand why these tiny dogs freak him out so much, and bigger dogs are fine. You'd think it would be the other way around. I guess the big ones aren't as likley to be off leash. People think a tiny dog can't do any harm, but I know who would get blamed (sued) if Bam ate their dog. It's just so frusterating!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Re: Leash Laws be damned!!!

BamBam's Dad said:
I still wish I knew what to do about all of the maniacs where I live who leave their dogs loose in the yard. It makes walking mine not so fun. It's always the little ankle biter dogs who think they are going to come running out and attack Bam-Bam. Any of these dogs would fit almost completly in his mouth! I don't understand why these tiny dogs freak him out so much, and bigger dogs are fine. You'd think it would be the other way around. I guess the big ones aren't as likley to be off leash. People think a tiny dog can't do any harm, but I know who would get blamed (sued) if Bam ate their dog. It's just so frusterating!!!
I live in the boonies and walk most days of the week with up to two dogs. My neighbor and I carry pepper spray and I carry a beatin' stick. I try to save the charging dogs from their darned selves when they think they're going to come out and challenge a 110lb rhodesian ridgeback and a 65lb pit/AB. So far so good. In all fairness most of the folks out there have invisiible fence and we have an excellent dog warden. But then again there is an understanding in the boonies about marauding dogs that make trouble so most folks try to contain their dogs.

Paula

1 - 20 of 20 Posts