Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought it would be a good idea to have a sticky list of books on training, behavior, breeds etc for people to reference. I'm going to add health and working dog books also when I compile a list of them. I'm trying to list different types of training methods, not just one. If you have any books to add to this list reply

Training

So Your Dog's Not Lassie: Tips for Training Difficult Dogs and Independent Breeds
by Betty Fisher ISBN: 0062734571

How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
by Sophia A. Yin ISBN: 0793805430

Leader of the Pack
by Nancy Baer, Steve Duno ISBN: 0061010197

Don't Shoot the Dog! : The New Art of Teaching and Training
by Karen Pryor ISBN: 0553380397

How to be the Leader of the Pack...And have Your Dog Love You For It. (booklet)
by Patricia B. McConnell ISBN: 189176702X

Training Secrets for Bully Breeds (magazine)
Popular Dog Series from Dog Fancy Magazine

Expert Obedience Training for Dogs (Hardcover)
by Winifred Gibson Strickland ISBN: 002615000X

Behavior and Communication

The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
ISBN: 034544678X

The Cautious Canine (booklet)
by Patricia B. McConnell ISBN: 1891767003

How Dogs Think : Understanding the Canine Mind
by Stanley Coren ISBN: 0743222326

How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
by Stanley Coren ISBN: 074320297X

The Intelligence of Dogs : A Guide To The Thoughts, Emotions, And Inner Lives Of Our Canine Companions
by Stanley Coren ISBN: 0553374524

Leader of the Pack
by Nancy Baer, Steve Duno ISBN: 0061010197

Culture Clash
by Jean Donaldson ISBN: 1888047054

Breed Specific

The Working American Bulldog
by Dave Putnam ISBN: 0967271002

The Working Pit Bull
by Diane Jessup ISBN: 0793801907

Colby's Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier
by Louis B. Colby, Diane Jessup ISBN: 079382091X

Gladiator Dogs
by Carl Semencic ISBN: 0793805961

Staffordshire Bull Terriers: An Owner's Companion
by V. H. Pounds, Lillian Rant ISBN: 1852233656

Working Dogs

Schutzhund : Theory and Training Methods
by Susan Barwig, Stewart Hilliard ISBN: 0876057318

Search and Rescue Dogs: Training the K-9 Hero, Second Edition
by American Rescue Dog Association ISBN: 0764567039

Ready! The Training of the Search and Rescue Dog
by Susan Bulanda ISBN: 0944875416

Tracking Dog: Theory & Methods
by Glen R. Johnson ISBN: 0914124048

Top Working Dogs: A Training Manual--Tracking, Obedience, Protection
by Dietman Schellenberg ISBN: 0960879803

Advanced Schutzhund
by Ivan Balabanov, Karen Duet ISBN: 087605730X

Therapy Dogs: Training Your Dog to Help Others
by Kathy Diamond Davis ISBN: 1929242050

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anybody read "Natural Dog Training: Working from the Dog's Point of View" by Kevin Behan ?

I'm reading Culture Clash right now and have a list of several other books I'd like to check out including the Kevin Behan book I've asked about. For the most part I like Culture Clash but it has some quirks that have made me want to put it down at times and there doesn't seem to be a specific target audience and the focus seems to swing around erraticly at times. The book would be more useful if it had an index and a glossary. I think the book would make a great primer for people considering getting their first dog so they have more realistic expectations of their potential pet. It would also make a great companion to a more structured clicker training book which I'll also be looking to find next.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
RobH. said:
Has anybody read "Natural Dog Training: Working from the Dog's Point of View" by Kevin Behan ?

I'm reading Culture Clash right now and have a list of several other books I'd like to check out including the Kevin Behan book I've asked about. For the most part I like Culture Clash but it has some quirks that have made me want to put it down at times and there doesn't seem to be a specific target audience and the focus seems to swing around erraticly at times. The book would be more useful if it had an index and a glossary. I think the book would make a great primer for people considering getting their first dog so they have more realistic expectations of their potential pet. It would also make a great companion to a more structured clicker training book which I'll also be looking to find next.
Rob - I agree with you about the quirks of The Culture Clash. There were points in the book where I thought the author was being very condescending, but I kept reading anyway. I think it's a great introduction to pet behavior and clicker training. I wish I had read it before I had gotten my puppy instead of when I'd already had her for 4 months.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lisa said:
There are a few working dog books I would like to recommend when you have a section for that.
Receommend them and I'll create a section. I was looking for working books but I couldnt find any reviews for the ones I found. I didnt want to post crappy books.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Dog Who Spoke With Gods (Fiction)
Diane Jessup; ISBN: 0312266626

Bully Breeds (Magazine)
A Dog Fancy Magazine

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
1. Schutzhund Theory and Training Methods by Susan Barwig and Stuart Hilliard

2. Advanced Schutzhund by Ivan Balabanov and Karen Duet

3. Tracking Dog by Glen Johnson

If I come across any others I will be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I work for a book distributor, and came across this book...Pit Bulls for Dummies. I put it into amazon.com and was able to look at the contents. I didn't see it already listed in the thread. It looks like it could be very useful for a new owner, or someone looking into getting a pit bull. It covers just about every subject or question you could possibly ask. Just thought I'd share. :D

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I read Pit Bulls for Dummies before we brought Bella home. It's a decent reference book for general advice on caring for (exercise needs, common ailments, etc.) and providing for a pit bull if this is your first time owning a dog, but I think a lot of the information in that book can be Googled, though. I prefer books about dog behavior/psychology. Some great books I've read recently that were much more helpful for me in understanding Bella's behavior are How Dogs Think by Stanley Coren, The Other End of The Leash by Patricia McConnell, and How to Speak Dog by Stanley Coren.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I read Pit Bulls for Dummies before we brought Bella home. It's a decent reference book for general advice on caring for (exercise needs, common ailments, etc.) and providing for a pit bull if this is your first time owning a dog, but I think a lot of the information in that book can be Googled, though. I prefer books about dog behavior/psychology. Some great books I've read recently that were much more helpful for me in understanding Bella's behavior are How Dogs Think by Stanley Coren, The Other End of The Leash by Patricia McConnell, and How to Speak Dog by Stanley Coren.
Another good one, and is our bestseller under the subject 'dog behavior', is "The Secret Lives of Dogs"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.