Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that dog food has been discussed about a million times here but...

I am thinking about swithching to Natures Variety. Does anybody here use it, if so, what do you think? I was at the pet store yesterday talking about dog foods with the owner. They are now offering Natures Variety and TimberWolf along with Raw and Freeze dried. I bought the little freeze dried chicken medallians and the dogs loved them.

Right now the dogs are on DVP and seem to be doing OK with it, but the Natures Variety seem so much better. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, one more thing to add. With the DVP they get 4 cups a day. 2 in the AM and 2 at night. With the Narure's Variety it says they only need 2 cups per day. That would actually work out to be cheaper than the DVP. Does that amount of food really seem accurate?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
How much do your dogs weigh, and what is their activity level? My two would have eaten 3 cups a day on NV. (They eat 3 cups of TW.) They weigh 62 and 67 lbs. and are moderately active.
Really?!? I don't know their weight exactly. I will guess that Dozer is between 65 and 70 lbs. and Cali to be between 50 and 60 lbs. I will weigh them today though and get back to you. Dozer is very active, always getting into something :lol: . Cali is more of a lazy dog. She is content just laying around the house.

Dozer is more lean and muscular, Cali is...um...squishy and jiggly.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I used the raw instinct dry food for a couple of months before I switched to raw and my dogs did really well on it. WHen I first started feeding raw, I used the Nature's Variety patties. I was very happy with the product and the dogs did well on it but I felt it was a little pricey. The freeze dried stuff is even more expensive! It's great quality though. Most of the raw manufacturers are all selling freeze dried product now. If you go on Bravo's site or Oma's Pride, you can see if their prices are any better.

Oma's pride are definitly cheaper. http://www.omaspride.com/products.htm#freeze dried disks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Our vet recommended NV food the first time I saw him, but I feed our dogs DVP too. Any particular reason you are deciding to switch? You mention doing "better." In what fashion? Just curious. You can never get too much food information.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thor said:
Our vet recommended NV food the first time I saw him, but I feed our dogs DVP too. Any particular reason you are deciding to switch? You mention doing "better." In what fashion? Just curious. You can never get too much food information.
If you read the ingredients in the NV vs the DVP, you will see that it is just higher quality. I am no expert lol, thats why I am asking questions too. The NV has no fillers whatsoever (so I was told).

NV:
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Montmorillonite Clay, Flaxseed Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Pumpkinseeds, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove.

DVP Ultra Premium:
Chicken, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols - source of Vitamin E, Citric Acid, and Rosemary Extract), Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil, Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Dried Kelp, Sodium Chloride, Parsley Flakes, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplements, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Lysine, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Inositol, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D-3), Biotin, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide (source of Iodine), Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Sodium Selenite.

Doesn't the NV just seem better to you?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I prefer using Nature's Variety Prairie. My 13 weeks old pit pup gets 1 patty a day (8oz) mixed with 1 cup of Verve (by The Honest Kitchen). This totals 1 1/2pounds of food a day, which I split into two feedings.
Zeus (6yr, Akita) and Eros (6yr, AmStaff/Rottie mix) get half Nature's Variety Dry and half Northwest Naturals Raw.
Matieca (10yr, Kelpie/Chow mix) and Cuda (5yr, Min Pin) are on Nature's Variety raw, mixed with veggies and oatmeal.
Nature's Variety has worked best for us, because of their high quality ingredients and varieties available. Their raw is available in: organic chicken, chicken/turkey mix, beef, lamb, venison, and rabbit. Their dry is available in: chicken/rice, beef/barley, lamb/oatmeal, venison/millet, salmon/rice, and raw instinct (chicken/tapioca w/no grains). They also offer canned and freeze dried.

Check them out at:
http://naturesvariety.com/
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting. My theory on food has always been to rotate foods every now and then to make sure that your dog(s) don't miss out on a particular ingredient that another food offers. For example, I fed our dogs Canidae before the DVP. Both have been great foods, but I think NV is next. I like how you can switch between the different protein sources and the RAW Instinct looks real good too. I am lucky that we have a dog store close to us that carries every high-end dog food made (just about).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts