Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a dog from my local shelter. He had all his shot before he came home. He has been coughing, it sounds like when they suck a hair or fuzzy up their nose. He does it more at night (he sleeps on has back) and in the morning when he first gets up. Sometimes he tries to gag it up. Nothing has been coming up until this morning. It was greenish-yellow. It was was like very thick nasal discharge. He is eating fine & playing non stop. Could he have a cold??

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I know you said he had his shots- but it sounds like it could be kennel cough (bortadella) - I would get him checked out just to be sure but it is possible for dogs to get colds - mine usually only gets them in the winter, it could be allergies too. But since you got him from a shelter I would be worried about the kennel cough so it may be best to get it checked out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the shelter and asked them about it. They were like, he was only here 3 days & it takes 7-10 days for kennel cough. (He was coughing the first night I brought him home.) They said he didn't have it when he was here. just keep an eye on it. Were kind of snipy with me. (I thought that he might have it)

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
boxertaxi said:
I called the shelter and asked them about it. They were like, he was only here 3 days & it takes 7-10 days for kennel cough. (He was coughing the first night I brought him home.) They said he didn't have it when he was here. just keep an eye on it. Were kind of snipy with me. (I thought that he might have it)
How long have you had him for?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I brought him home on May 22nd. I had him nutered on June 1st. My vet didn't seem like anything was wrong. I feel like something is wrong though.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
boxertaxi said:
I brought him home on May 22nd. I had him nutered on June 1st. My vet didn't seem like anything was wrong. I feel like something is wrong though.
Go with your gut feeling...take him to the vet. If nothing is wrong great! but if there is you need to catch it before it could turn into something else...also it would ease your mind to know for sure!

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
boxertaxi said:
I would take him in - you said he just recently started coughing up stuff - that would make me take him to the vet - I am a worrier though and take my dog to the vet for every little scrape she gets. Plus it has been about two weeks - i think it takes about a week/two for symptoms to really show up but I may be wrong about that - for me its better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning was the first time anything came up. (this is gross, but it looked like that stuff kids used to play with, slime.) I put it in a baggie for my vet to look at if he says nothing is wrong! Thanks everyone! I will take him>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I feel better. I am also a worry wort! My husdand says if the dog farts sideways I worry!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
boxertaxi said:
Thanks everyone, I feel better. I am also a worry wort! My husdand says if the dog farts sideways I worry!!! :lol:
most of us are!!! Thats the joy of having an animal that cant tell you whats wrong! Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
They're full of BS. It doesn't take 7-10 days to contract kennel cough - it takes that long to start showing symptoms. What you are describing sounds exactly like kennel cough. More than likely, the time he spent with your vet he was under sedation and not coughing, so he didn't see anything. I would take him back, especially now that he's snotty. Kennel cough can turn into pneumonia - ugly. He needs antibiotics.

Poor guy. Hope he gets to feeling better soon. :(

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I thought Tala had kennel cough when I first brought her home as well, although she was up to date on her shots. She had a hacking cough for the first month and a half I had her. After that amount of time, my vet suggested it might be lung worms, and gave me three doses of a powder medicine that I mixed in her food. One dose per day for three days, and it was cured. You might want to ask your vet about that too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
boxertaxi said:
Dogs can have a cold and when green stuff come up it is a cold, he maybe got it when the vet neutered him. The vet wouldn't operate when your dog is sick, they have to check it before.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Angelika said:
boxertaxi said:
Dogs can have a cold and when green stuff come up it is a cold, he maybe got it when the vet neutered him. The vet wouldn't operate when your dog is sick, they have to check it before.
Some types of kennel cough present with "cold like" symptoms, snotty nose and then a cough. There's hundreds of kinds of KC, they are not all the same. You could bring your dog to the vet since a green discharge indicates a possible infection-the vet is the one to diagnose this though.
When we rescued Lambie (our deaf mini-aussie) she had a "sniffle" when she arrived here from California and it turned into a greenish discharge then to "typical" kennel cough. She gave it to our doxie who had similar symptoms but not to the extent that she did.
Your dog probably had a low level infection and then when neutered, it became and issue from the trauma of the surgery, not that that is a horrid thing, I'm glad you had him fixed! Just call your vet, and bring him in if necessary. Dogs CAN get KC from the vet's office as well but chances are he got it in the shelter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He thought it might have started out as a cold, & ended up as KC. I am watching my Boxer babies very close. They both seem fine so far. Thanks everyone for your concern! :D

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
boxertaxi said:
He thought it might have started out as a cold, & ended up as KC. I am watching my Boxer babies very close. They both seem fine so far. Thanks everyone for your concern! :D
Good to hear - hope everything goes well! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts