Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good way to teach Harley when people come over not to jump on them. To just sit or calmly come over to our guests? I want her to be well mannered and I don't want to have to crate her everytime someone comes in the door.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
We still have this problem with Bella. She's starting to learn a little bit, but she seems to do best when I keep her on a leash when people come over. It's kind of annoying, and I can tell she hates it, but it's the only way I can correct her behavior and pull her in quickly if necessary. She knows "off" means to get down off of someone, but it's very hard to keep her from jumping up in the first place. I've been telling people to stick their knee up if they can tell she's going to jump on them. I don't like the idea of kneeing my dog, but usually when she sees a knee up, she won't jump. Giving her TONS of praise when she has "4 on the floor" and is in a sit is also seeming to work. Harley might be like Bella...in need of several months of consistency!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
We grab the water bottle when people come to the door. Haus sees it and stops trying to jump up. Either that, or we'll hold him by his collar, so he can't jump.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We try to get our guests who come over often to ignore Jaz and when she sits and calms down they can pet her. This way she learns that being spazzy won't get her attention. And also that if she wants attention from anybody (even us) the way to get it is to sit.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Molly use to jump on anyone who came through my front door including myself.The trainer told us when the dog is about to jump you need to stick your knee out(bend your leg so that the knee is out) this way when the dog does jump up she is hitting your knee.Once she hits your knee you are to GENTLY push your knee to there chest and say DOWN.Since having done this with Molly there is no more jumping on anyone.It has worked wonders.Sounds odd but it works and you are not hurting the dog but simply getting it into there mind if they jump they are going to get a knee pushing them away.Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used the knee trick, now she wont jump up on me but willkeep jumpin up on others. kinda frustrating when a stranger or visitors call to the house. BUt keep it up it does do good.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Put a choke collar on your dog and stand on the leash with just enough slack in it to where your dog can get its front feet off the ground but not enough slack to where the dog can jump on someone. Then have someone stand in front of the dog and when it tries to jump on that person the chock collar will tighten up and at the same time give your dog a firm loud down command! This is very efective I have used it on all my dogs!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed something this morning with Harley when my brother in law came over. I made her sit when he first came in the door and then let her go she didn't jump on him until he allowed her to do it. As long as I was tellling her she needed to sit she was pretty good, but after I told him to and he didn't she just jumped on him. So I think I'm gonna have to train the houseguests too. How frustrating. But I do think I will be investing in a chok collar. Was told that would be good for her car chasing too.

KElly

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I wouldn't get a choke collar, I'd get a prong collar. Haus has a drastic change in attitude when he has his on. It took a couple of corrections with it for him to realize that he wasn't going to get away with what he wanted to do. Now he just sits and behaves! I really recommend it, despite how barbaric they look. Haus is one of those bull-headed dogs that would pull through the choke collar to try and get to a person so they could pet him.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a real big fan of the prong collars. Would this be a collar that would need to worn constantly?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
No, Haus only wears his prong collar when we're walking, doing training, or if I know there is a guest coming over. The rest of the time he has on just his flat nylon collar. I would definately never leave a prong collar on Haus for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I'd get a prong collar

I do NOT like the prong collars although I do understand that some breeds need them because of there strength but if you do get one only use it for walks.I had used choke collars for training and what not and again only to be worn while walking and it worked out fine.All depends on your dog and what you are comfortable using.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Kelly said:
I'd get a prong collar

I do NOT like the prong collars although I do understand that some breeds need them because of there strength but if you do get one only use it for walks.I had used choke collars for training and what not and again only to be worn while walking and it worked out fine.All depends on your dog and what you are comfortable using.
This is a very valid point. Some people do not like prong collars. Personally, I do not like choke collars. Haus is just too stubborn for it to be effective on him! :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am a fan of the knee in the chest for disipline only your visitors are very reluctant to use this, so if your using this technique to keep the dog off you follow it with the command OFF. Then eventually when your visitors come you may use only the verbal command and your dog will know what to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts