Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

dog park bite...need ur opinion

7K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Erica 
#1 ·
hey there..this is chief's owner! We jus took her to the dog park for the second time today. We had her on a leash when she was sniffing this smaller, thin shepard mix and the dog bit into her face! She 's gonna need a a couple stitches in her lip and a has few puncture wounds above and below her eye. the vet is going to check for any cuts in her eye. The bill is gonna be 500.00. The owner left her phone number if Chief needed to be treated so she could pay. Should I expect the owner of the other dog to pay considering that this is a risk we take when we take our dogs to the dog park??
Oh yeah Chief's okay...I don't think it really fazed her!!

Thanks,
Tabatha

#3 ·
well I don't necessarily think that it's half my fault..I think I do take the risk of taking my dog to the park and possibly her getting bit. She was on a leash and she does not have dog aggression problems as far as i could see. My dog did not show any aggression just curiosity . She was sniffing the other dog and the dog turned and bit her in the face. My dog didn't show any aggression back. We pulled her away from the other dog and Chief just looked at her. The dog then proceeded to attack out friend's pitbull. The owner said her dog is normally not like that. The owner was kind enoguh to take our phone number and giver her ours.

#5 ·

I would make them pay for the entire amount myself. I don't agree with the sniffing being a justifiable cause for agression. We do accept a certain amount of risk when we take our AB to the dog park or dog beach. If my dog bites another than it is my responsability to pay for the damage done. It is also my responsability to know my dogs personality and temperment and not take her to the park if she is agressive towards other dogs.

There are a lot of opinions for and against dog parks, I happen to enjoy them as does our AB.

#6 ·
Well thank you for all the opinions..Chief is doing fine..she just has a few sutures in her jowls. I do differ in opinion with Miakoda as far as a dog sniffing another dog being the possible cause for a dog gettin bit. Dogs usually sniff each other to greet one another or find out about another dog.I do though believe anyone who takes their dog to the dog park does have to remember the risk that is taken whether your dog is bit or bites another dog. All in all..she is fine and I may just ask for half the payment of the cost of Chief's treatment.

Meanwhile here are a few pictures of her...One with her on my bed and another after she came home from the vet after being stitched up..

Thanks,
Chief's mom!!

#7 ·
Another half an inch, and she could have lost her eye :shock:

I think that if she doesn't show any agression towards other dogs after this - you got lucky. What will happen though next time your at the dog park, and the dog that bite her is there also? That's something to think about.

What part of the dog park do you think your bully likes the most? Is it the interaction with other dogs? The freedom to run around unleashed? If you insist on still taking her to the dog park, you may have to re-arrange your schedual so that you are going early in the morning or later in the evening so the chances of running into other dogs is less.

Personally, I think dog parks are both a wonderful thing and the worst idea ever. They are wonderful because it allows for a place for your dog to run all over off leash, and to some dogs, the opprotunity to play with other dogs. But they are bad because you never know whose dogs have been there or if they are sick with something you dog may catch. You never know if a fight may break out and whose dogs will be involved in the fight. It's just too may "What-ifs" for my taste. But to each his own.

Oh, and I would ask that the owner of the other dog pay for half the vet costs - but expect that if your dogs ever injures another dog (because you just never know)- that you will be asked to pay the whole bill.

#8 ·
I agree with Miakoda.

When you go to the dog park you need to realize that they are accidents waiting to happen in the first place. Its a risk you take. Personally, I would chalk this up as a lesson learned......

When you allow your dog to sniff another dog, you should fully expect many dogs to not take too kindly to that. I would never go to a dog park myself but if I was anywhere and someone allowed their dog to sniff mine I would go aboslutely ape shit on the owner of the dog who was permitted to do this. Not all dogs are social and care to be "greeted" by every dog they may encounter, and no this does not make them bad dogs either. Owner responsibibility, bottom line.

Dog parks can be dangerous, full of diseases and parasites and a potential liability, especially for bull breed owners. If you take the chance of visitng one, you need to accept what may happen while you are there. Unfortuantely the BSL advocates aren't too "accepting" when bullies are involved. You are EXTREMELY lucky it was your dog that got bit (I know that sounds strange) but can you imagine the outcry if your American Bulldog who is often put under the "pitbull" umbrella bit another dog in the face? More fuel for the BSL fire. IMO you are lucky nothing worse happened with your visit to the dog park. I hope you learned your lesson and keep your AB away from them in the future.

#9 ·
I only said it was half your fault becouse you should be well aware that your dog could end up getting bit by another dog. you took that chance,
personally, I would pay the whole bill myself becouse I know there is a chance if you take your dog around strange dogs there might be a fight, yet you took them there anyway. not saying anything agianst you, It's just my opion. I would certianly watch out for dog aggression in your dog. sometimes it only takes one bite to cause dog aggression, I'm glad your pup is ok

#10 ·
You are EXTREMELY lucky it was your dog that got bit (I know that sounds strange) but can you imagine the outcry if your American Bulldog who is often put under the "pitbull" umbrella bit another dog in the face? More fuel for the BSL fire. IMO you are lucky nothing worse happened with your visit to the dog park. I hope you learned your lesson and keep your AB away from them in the future.
You should not ask for anything. You take on the risks when you bring a dog to the dog park. You CAN ask for whatever--- but as a good citizen and dog owner you should not.
Also stay away from dog parks. They are a disaster waiting to happen. You're lucky you got off as easily as you did. If in turn, this other dog got torn apart by your dog, would you be upset if the owner asked for compensation from YOU?
IMO, the owner of the dog who got bit is responsible financially - because they brought the dog there in the 1st place, knowing the risks involved.

#11 ·
Again everyone thank you for your opinions....Yes i do belive if my dog bit the other dog or another dog in the face considering she's an AB we probably would face the many stipulations that came with it. And also true about the many parasites and diseases the park may carry considering we don't know what dog has what. Yes we are lucky Chief is okay.... Now if my dog turned and bit the other dog and the dog needed to go to the vet...knowing how I am I would offer to pay. Although everyone knows the risks you take when you take the dog to the dog park I would feel responsible for my dog if she was to bite another dog. If someone was to ask compensation I wouldn't get upset at it. Knowing how I am I would offer to pay.

I also already knew the risks that came with a dog park. When my dog got bit, I became more enlightened of the situation. Oh and very true Lisa that some dogs don't appreciate to be sniffed and some don't take kindly too that. When we walk Chief on a regular walk I don't allow her to go near other dogs to sniff them;half the time people walk farther away beacuse of her size and the way she looks. But at a dog park there are twenty dogs running around off leash in a gated area..dogs are bound to sniff around..it jus happened that several were around chief..she sniffed one and the dog turned and bit her in the face. Dogs that aren't social with other dogs shouldn't be at the dog park. I was told that the owner of the dog just adopted the dog six months ago and that the dog is normally friendly when at the dog park.Maybe the dog has something against bully breed's because right after she bit Chief she went after my friend's pitbull puppy.

Thanks,
Tabatha

#12 ·
If it were my dog that got bit i would deffinately ask for compensation. People should have control over their dogs in all situation, if you dont know your dog, then dont take it to the park. If you know your dog is aggressive, then dont take it to the dog park, or in an area where there may be other dogs around. If your dog bites another dog it is fully your own responsibility, no matter what.

#15 ·
msvette2u said:
You should not ask for anything. You take on the risks when you bring a dog to the dog park.
Does this same logic apply to car accidents? You know the risks involved every time you leave your house driving a car. If someone hits you, they shouldn't compensate you because you KNEW the risks involved. I'm sure everyone will say "It's totally different!" (and I agree), but on the surface it sounds somewhat similar to the dog park risk thing to me.

#16 ·
Re: ask away

Jackie said:
You'll never see a penney. The other owner is not at all liable.

jackie
barrister
Thats not true in Colorado.Is there some special law in FL that negates liability because it happens at a dog park?

The owner of the offending dog should not bring his/her dog back to the dog park and should fully compensate you for the damage done. If not you can in most states file a Police report and take them to small claims court.

Assuming the risk of an activity doesn't automaticly mean you have no recourse.

#19 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
msvette2u said:
You should not ask for anything. You take on the risks when you bring a dog to the dog park.
Does this same logic apply to car accidents? You know the risks involved every time you leave your house driving a car. If someone hits you, they shouldn't compensate you because you KNEW the risks involved. I'm sure everyone will say "It's totally different!" (and I agree), but on the surface it sounds somewhat similar to the dog park risk thing to me.
It is my opinion that if you are careless and cause a wreck that yes you assume the financial responsibility. Depending on the circumstances, law enforcement officers and judges see it that way as well :)

Likewise, if you cause your own dog to get bit by taking it to a dog park, despite the warnings on this forum and others, then you SHOULD assume financial responsibility for that too. Other people seem to share this sentiment, from the looks of this thread.

#20 ·
I just hope that other dog's owner NEVER takes it back to a dog park PERIOD! If it already attacked/bit 2 dogs, then it needs to be kept indoors and only taken out leashed (and not a retractable one).

If my dog bit another dog, i would be very upset and totally pay for all the bills. But I would NEVER take Orson to a dog park, I have a hard enough time keeping him from attacking loose dogs that run up to him on the street when we walk (5 loose dogs ran up to him the other day :shock: ).

Doesnt the vet have to report that bite to animal control?

#21 ·
OrsonDogge said:
I just hope that other dog's owner NEVER takes it back to a dog park PERIOD! If it already attacked/bit 2 dogs, then it needs to be kept indoors and only taken out leashed (and not a retractable one).

If my dog bit another dog, i would be very upset and totally pay for all the bills. But I would NEVER take Orson to a dog park, I have a hard enough time keeping him from attacking loose dogs that run up to him on the street when we walk (5 loose dogs ran up to him the other day :shock: ).

Doesnt the vet have to report that bite to animal control?
I agree. And I also agree with Miakoda. My GSD doesnt even tolerate Legend sniffing her butt and they live together and will give him a growl and has snapped at im for trying. Alot of dogs just don't like it.
Maybe instead of going to the dog park try have playdates instead with dogs Chief plays with. I hope Chief's okay and gets better soon!

#22 ·
well thank you so much for the opinions; of course they all vary.. well considering this is the first time i have been warned about dog parks directly on this forum..i was aware of the possibilities that dogs bite and get bit..luckily chief is okay and really tha's the jist of it..
probably won't take her back to the dog park again although she had fun playing the first time we took her..jus this second time..she unfortunately got bit..I'm not sure if the vet has to report the dog bite to the animal control...

Knowing how i am I would definitely pay for the damage that my dog did to another..that's just what i would do. I am just expecting half of the cost...but in most cases..some owners will offer but when it comes down to it many don't... so really i probably wont get anything for the cost..

thanks for the insight!!

#24 ·
gees so many people are against dog parks here!

i've only been to one once... and there were no other dogs around!
so patch was free to run as he pleased!

after reading this.... im questioning them myself!

#25 ·
I love dog parks! Where else can our dogs stretch their legs off-leash; merely walking them on leash isn't enough. We don't necessarily go there to socialize, but we do appreciate the exposure our girl has had with other dogs.

As for that dog going after Chief, the other dog owner needs to take responsibility, aggressive dogs shouldn't be, and most likely, aren't allowed, nor should they be tolerated. He/she should know how his dog is going to react to a butt-sniffing; butt-sniffing doesn't warrant an attack! Dogs sniff ass the way we greet the other dog owners as they pass. However, extended butt-sniffing (10 seconds or longer) does deserve a "back-off" growl. At which point the sniffer should "move along"

My step-grandson with Vega at the dog park near us: beautiful, wooded, over 30 acres of forest...unfortunately, we can't afford a backyard like that.

#26 ·
I agree with andrew's reply on page 1

You should ask for compensation, it is not NOT your fault!!

Looking at the picture, that was so close to your baby's eye!

So if you take your dog to a dog park you should expect or prepare for your dog to get bit? I never heard such a thing!

If my dog ever bit another dog at a dog park the other owner would IMMEDIATLEY ask for compensation (especially because the dog is a pit bull, and everything is always a pit bulls fault)

But pit bull, collie, lab, retreiver WHATEVER! That dog bit your dog becase Cheif was just sniffing the dog. The owner of the dog that bit your dog is the one that shouldnt be going to dog parks!

Its a freakin' dog park!!!! THERE WILL BE LOTS OF SNIFFING.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.