Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Dog Walking Safety Tips

14K views 92 replies 17 participants last post by  esprinter 
#1 ·
Alright, so today and a few times in the past few months it has been posted by other owners that while they were on a walk a stray dog attacked/approached their on leash dog. Over the past week, with improved weather, I have taken my pup on walks, where we have come across off leash dogs. This situation can be somewhat scary for both the owner and the dog!

Im looking for advice, as to whats the best way to handle this in the event that you and/or your dog become attacked/approached? Are you supposed to drop your own leash? or pull your dog away using the leash?

The first time it happened, I froze, and luckily was saved by an invisable fence. But I promise i thought i had peed myself. Colby had to drag me the other way!

The second time this happened Colby and I slowly backed away, luckily the off leash dog wasnt running at us, I still dont know if the dog was nice- but I wasnt planning on hanging around long enough to find out!

Anyhow, the possiblity of this scares the crap out of me, so I'd like to be a little bit prepared in the event that it does happen.

#2 ·
Honestly it is more important for me to protect my dog than myself in these situations. I try to put myself between the other dog and Mags and kick at it, scream at it, etc. I have considered getting a break stick and/or spray to use on a loose dog but luckily since we have moved into our house two years ago I haven't seen many dogs off leash. In my old neighborhood Mags was attacked several times and it was bad, but not where we are now so I never felt the need to get the spray/stick.

#5 ·
I always drop my leash out of habit (although I don't have DA dogs).

Once a lab approached me (I was walking my senior pug on leash) the lab was barking/lunging. I dropped the leash and my pug used me as a hiding spot and kept running around me away from the lab....... 30 seconds latter the owner came out of the house and apologized.

The second time this happened I was with my mastiff (who is usually very good with other dogs, and she is 80 pounds so I don't really worry about HER getting hurt). But our neighbors have an aggressive dog and I happened to be getting out of the truck with my mastiff while the neighbor's toddler let the dog outside (its some kind of cattle dog)..... anyways the dog approached, hackles up, growling... I dropped my leash and my mastiff leaped across the driveway and grabbed the dog by the head and pinned it down (not attacking but holding it) the owner came rushing out and I grabbed violets back legs and pulled her away, he got his dog back in the house and that was that. The entire situation happened really fast, but the neighbors dog doesn't bark at violet anymore.

I have dropped my leash as well where nothing has happened and the dogs just played lol, but the above are the only serious incidents I can think of, and its also the only dog fight my mastiff has been in ever.

I don't know if its the right thing to do or not but I tend to try and protect myself first especially if its a strange dog.

#6 ·
Good thread. Hudson and I luckily have not come across too many issues, but lots of bully breeds have it out for him. Every time we walk by one they are barking hysterically at us, trying to get loose and what I would assume is attack. I've seen it with one GSD too.

The only off leash issues I have run into is our annoying neighbor, who thinks we love him. Hudson does, but I don't like their dog's manners so just avoid them.

The time we crossed a stray dog that seemed interested I ignored it, had Hudson ignored it and kept on walking like it was nothing. Hoping the dog would also be uninterested. It was and stopped approaching us and did it's own thing.

The other issue we had was when an AB grabbed Hudson as a pup and mounted him in an aggressive way, tearing his poor little belly. The owner did nothing, couldn't hold him back so I ripped her dog off mine and threw it at her. Guess the adrenaline kicked in... normally I can't really throw a 80lbs dog haha. I gave her shit too.

Like others have said, I honestly don't know what the right thing to do is. I would like to think my instinct will make me do the right thing but who knows. I've considered bringing some kind of spray or stick with me. However if I had nothing, rather than kick the strange dog, I would probably grab it and restrain it in a lock (like I was shown at the shelter to prevent being bit) and push my own dog off with my foot. If my dog is not the instigator that is.

#8 ·
I personally wouldn't drop my leash because Mags is DR. She is great with 95% of dogs, and the two times we got attacked she hid behind me and didn't respond to the dog, but I wouldn't want to drop the leash and let my dog get into an all out fight with the other dog without any way to break them up. At least if the leash is still on you can pull them away or at least attempt to. For me, it wasn't about protecting myself, it was about protecting my baby - mother's instinct I guess LOL

#9 ·
Yea Im not sure why one would drop the leash. I would like to get my dog back. I agree with jen. I usually yell at the dog. I've never had a dog attack us, buy I've been approached by lots of off leash dogs. Murphy could care less, but I'm not sure what would happen with Lucy. I hope no dog ever tries to find out.

#10 ·
IMO yelling and kicking is only going to intensify a dog fight (if its going to happen), I drop the leash because it gives my dog a chance to fight back or get away if the unknown dog IS going to attack, if I kept my dog on leash and just tried to puller her into me it would be more likely instant fight because she would feel like she had no choice (fight or flight). Its also preventing my own dog from biting me or the unknown dog from biting me (via trying to break up the fight using the leash/collar to pull the dog away).

If a dog is approaching off leash I am not going to drop my leash of course I am going to try and avoid the dog, but if the dog is approaching rapidly in an aggressive manor and I know the meeting is going to happen yes the leash is dropped.

Lucky for me I don't have DA dogs so chances are if I drop the leash the dogs will sniff and its over. If my dogs were DA it would be scary for sure and I am not sure what I would do.... I think the spray is a good idea especially if you have a powerful breed like bully.

I don't know if there is a right and wrong, but i wish people would keep their dogs under control.

#11 ·
I always hollar and yell at a loose dog and make myself as big as possible which is usually enough to ward of the off leash dog. But if the dog is really set on advancing I will let Mater protect himself as I know he will be capable of doing so while I can get some sort of "weapon."

If you want there is always the option of carrying a citronella spray which is harmless but can be enough to run off a stray/off-leash dog.

#12 ·
Yes you are supposed to yell (sorry I was just reading a few websites about the issue because I wasn't sure)

They all say to yell at the dog and say things like "go home" or "sit" (I guess common things a dog should know?), then they go on to say that you should carry a stick or some sort of spray to use on the dog, but none of them really go into detail on what to do beyond the spray/stick aside from yelling and making noise.

One website mentioned a shovel and hit the offending dog 5 to 10 times as hard as you can......I guess if it happens and the shovel is handy lol.

#16 ·
I've read several places that you are supposed to yell and stand up to the loose dog not only to scare the dog off, but to show your dog that you are the pack leader and you are in charge. Then your dog doesn't feel like he or she needs to "defend" you in other situations. Thats why I've always done it.

#18 ·
I'm ordering "Halt" its what the postal workers carry. I would drop the leash and kick the crap out of the other dog if a situation ever did break out, the leash could always be grabbed if needed.
From my only experience which happened at his LAST visit to the dogpark, when Bam flicks the switch to woop-ass it happens FAST and he is all business! It's about trying to avoid damage and having my bully breed dog in a negative light. I brought Bam to the food store today and he met a couple dogs very politely, tail wagging and respectful. That is not the energy that he displays when we are met by an unleashed dog that runs up on us while we are walking, the defensive-protective mode kicks in.

#20 ·
I suggest getting some bear repellent from an outdoor type store. You can get it in a canister that will shoot over 20 feet for a few seconds. I bought some after my incident from a few weeks ago that I posted about.Some of the pet shop products are not very potent or so I have been told. I am not worried about having a product that is very aggressive. People should prevent their dogs from coming after me and my dog on our walk.

#22 ·
Why would your dog run away from you?

#23 ·
When a dog is in fight/protect itself mode it may chase after the other dog or the fight may move in one direction or the other. No matter how good you think your dog is about paying attention to you and never leaving your side, when they get in that mode there is no stopping them.

#24 ·
Not that my dogs are well trained...

But they tend to stick with me especially if they are feeling threatened, I guess it just wouldn't cross my mind that the dog would take off and I wouldn't be able to get it back.

#25 ·
Not that my dogs are well trained...

But they tend to stick with me especially if they are feeling threatened, I guess it just wouldn't cross my mind that the dog would take off and I wouldn't be able to get it back.
Did you say you never owned a bully before? Maybe that is where the disconnect is here. Once a bully gets into fight or protection mode, it is almost impossible to get them out - hence a stick being necessary in a lot of cases. Doesn't matter how well trained they are or if they are DR or DA, if they are protecting themselves or you, it is a different story. Like I said I was lucky Mags hid behind me and cowered and didn't react, but I have also seen her at her worst, when she was resource guarding and attacking our dog Petey. There was NOTHING that would stop her when she went after him, my husband got bit trying to get them apart, it can be quite dangerous and uncontrollable once a fight starts.

#26 ·
Brain fart just remember you have a mastiff too - so I guess you do have another bully. I don't know much about mastiffs in terms of how they react in these situations, but in terms of pits, ABs, most other bullies, it certainly can turn into something not pretty.

#28 ·
Mastiffs are guard dogs but they are more like pin um and hold um. I also think they are far more protective with strange people then strange dogs IMO and experience with my dog.

I don't think they enjoy fighting (for lack of a better word) as much as a fighting breed like an APBT. Its more of a control issue for mastiffs then enjoying the fight..... if that makes sense?? She would rather avoid confrontation then be in the thick of it.

maybe horse will be different, he is technically my first "bulldog" so we will see if my opinions change.

#29 ·
enjoying a fight is totally the wrong word... somebody help me here lol.

#31 ·
Enjoying a fight is correct. They were bred for this, they enjoy it. Or at least some do.

And my dogs most definitely would run away from me if they saw another dog and they weren't on leash. Not to mention, if you drop the leash, how is your dog then different than the other off leash dog?

#32 ·
If your dog is being attacked and your pulling them away with a leash, your just letting your dog get chewed up then. If it can't be avoided, I would drop the leash as well and let him protect himself, I have already done this once because there is no other choice without a spray or something. Yelling might work with the less aggressive dogs but it won't work with many real aggressive dogs, if they want to get at your dog it's going to happen and you need to know what your going to do besides yelling. I persoanlly wouldn't pick my dog up, this will certainly promt the attacking dog to jump up at you and still get you or your dog, I have seen this happen.

#33 ·
Thats what I thought too.

I would think you might want to drop the leash so your dog isnt fighting the leash and another dog at the same time. So while youre holding the leash, youre also restricting your dog from fighting back.

Initially my thought was to drop the lease, but what do I know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.