Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an american bulldog and he's 1 yr and 3 mos. i love him to death but i do get annoyed that everytime he's a dog, no matter if it's on t.v or in the car or just out for walks, he thinks it's play time and he barks and pulls.

he's not aggressive towards other dogs but he gets too excited to the point that it scares people and other dogs.

how do i fix this?

please help!!!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Why do you think he just wants to play?

It sounds like you should be engaging in some obedience training with your dog. You need to get control of him. You can't blame people for being afraid. An out of control dog is a liability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he went to obedience school.....he's not that out of control.....when he's at home or there's a party when there's a lot of people he's fine and he's sooooo calm... it's just dogs....he doesn't bite or anything...he just plays..that's all so don't think that he's out of control...even around 2 year old kids he's very calm....only dogs!!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Willy does the same thing, I walk him twice a day and make sure I pass by every house with a dog I can. Use that opportunity to go back to basic obedience and have him focus on you. As well as when passing another dog, I have had to learn myself not to care, and just keep walking, eventually he began to "get-it” Obviously it not fail safe but I can see it working for him, so just suggestion

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks i should try that...and well now i'm starting to use a prong collar it's working a little...he won't pull as much...

·
Registered
74 Posts
make sure you anchor the prong with a regular choke collar, prong's have been known to break. Also, if he still pulls with the prong make sure it is in the "Westminster" position, which is up as high as you can get it on his neck. So that the V or triangle sits behind his ears, most dogs are MUCH easier to control with the prong in this position.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your dog is still young so it's kind of expected he wants to play. Work on his obedience with him and do you have a friend with a playful dog to have a doggy playdate?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
A doggie playdate with a 15 month old AB? That could be an accident waiting to happen.

Seriosuly, why bother? Dogs don't need to play with other dogs. Especially bullies which are not pack animals!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well my staffy loves to play with my goldy, my mums APBT loves to play with a sheltie as well.

Obviously you need the dogs to know each other and get on well together, you don't just throw 2 unknown dogs together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes he does have play mates actually and well he plays with another american bulldog which is 2 1/2 months old from the same breeder and parents...and another he plays with is a maltese and they get along very well...and you'd think that my dog would be the bully amongst those two but actually he's the one coming out with cuts on his mouth his legs....i know my dog and he's never hurt anyone actually....and if there's one thing i'm proud of with my dog is that he knows not to bite.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Carissa, your dog is still a baby. He is not even mature yet so you have no idea how well he will get along with other dogs 6 months or ayear down the road. Dog aggression will often creep up on people and rear its ugly head when people least expect it. A 2.5 month old puppy is NOT a threat to a 15 month old AB and niether is a tiny maltese. Most dogs aren't going to bother with somehting that is not a threat. Alot of people think their dogs are so gentle and would never harm anything. You can't judge a puppy. Have you owned any bull breeds in the past? Be careful with your dog and do not assume it is "dog friendly". AB"s are generally not too dog friendly..especially with other large, mature males!! Same sex aggression with AB"s is more common than it is uncommon. Be careful with your dog!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I have to agree with Lisa. Be careful. AB's don't fully mature until around 18-24 mos. You may be a lucky one who never has any issues with him...and that's great. But be cautious...it happens very quickly!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know he's still a puppy...i'm not trying to be a smart ass about anything...if i was then i wouldn't ask for help...but if you can't give me any good advise on preventing aggression towards other dogs...then don't say anything at all...and of course my dog has played with full grown adult dogs in the park off leash....ie. a german sheppard in the neighbourhood.

please only reply something if you can help...not judge!!! any dog can be aggressive but it's up to the owner to steer them away from that....

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
carissa said:
i know he's still a puppy...i'm not trying to be a smart ass about anything...if i was then i wouldn't ask for help...but if you can't give me any good advise on preventing aggression towards other dogs...then don't say anything at all...and of course my dog has played with full grown adult dogs in the park off leash....ie. a german sheppard in the neighbourhood.

please only reply something if you can help...not judge!!! any dog can be aggressive but it's up to the owner to steer them away from that....
Sorry, but who's judging? No one here said you were trying to be a smart a** as far as I can see. :dontknow:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Carissa, the best way to prevent dog aggression is by not allowing your dog to play with other dogs in the first place. Take your dog out and let in be in the presence of other dogs, not nose to nose off leash. Do obedience with your dog while out around other dogs who are on leash. Make your dog focus on you, not the other dogs around you. That's how you prevent dog aggression. Letting an AB run off leash with other dogs is the WORST thing you could do. In fact that could actually create problems if your dog is challenged by another dog. Letting your bull breed run loose with other dogs at a park is an accident waiting to happen. Your AB can live a totally happy and fullfilled life without having to run loose with other dogs. Dog to dog socialization is not important. It is not necessary and it will in no way prevent dog aggression in the future, that is a myth.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
carissa said:

I wish I could tell ya Lisa was being a smart as$ but shes not... its true about AB's and agression... well any of the bully breeds as a matter-a-fact. My Kate is very dominant so many other dogs do not like that one bit.

But in bully breeds agression is there and it is genetic and in their blood. Nothing the owner can do about it. The owner can control it so the dog is not lunging at any dog that comes by, but the agression will still be there.

We arent trying to put you down or argue with you. You just have to realize that you own a dominant breed dog and that aggression is a very likely outcome as your dog gets older. Not saying it will 100% happen, but it is likely. And even if your dog does not start a fight. I can gaurentee your dog will finish it.

There is a post in the general section about dogs and dog parks.... please read over that and the posts that go along with it.....Not to change your mind, just for information

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you....that is very good on my part about all this info because it gives me more knowledge specially from ones who owns one....now i'm very confused because...i was always told that socialization for this dog is VERY important from breeders, vets and trainers....now' it's not good to socialize them...and well i do ask some of my friends who has dogs to meet up with me so i can train my dog around other dogs...so that their focus would be on me not the dog....is it still good to socialize them and train them with other dogs...????

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If you have available other dogs who you know and whos owners you know then it is not a problem to meet in a controled environment like a backyard or what not.

It is not okay (in my opinion) to socialize your dog at a dog park with unpredictible owners and their unpredictible dogs.

As far as socialization.... as Lisa said, it is not NECESSARY to socialize your dog with other dogs, it is more important to socialize your dog will all different types of people... different ages, sex, and races. Your dog, especailly bully breeds can live a very healthy happy life having you as its provider and as its fun. As long as you give your dog plenty of attention from you and plenty of exercise thats all a dog really needs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts