Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Andrea, and I joined today. Harley is my canine companion. She is about 12 months and her breed is a bit uncertain. I was told she's an American/English Bulldog mix. It matters not B/c she's my baby and I LOVE HER! She came from a high kill shelter after her uncaring owner left her and her sister outside in December for three days until neighbors notified autorities. They were both frostbitten. She is now eternaly grateful for her loving family. She and my daughter are best friends. I get a bit upset when people urge me never to leave them alone together, or to let my daughter cuddle with her, they think Harley may snap. I feel I know my dog and it would never happen. Is it ever safe to let the family dog play unsupervised with your children? I did with my dog as a child. Am I being naive and asking for trouble? What do you guys think? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't know how old your daughter is, but I can tell you that I would never leave my younger son who just turned 3 alone with one of my dogs Not even for a minute. And yes I totally trust them.
My 11 year old on the other hand I don't have a problem leaving him alone with them for a few minutes.
I don't think cuddling is a problem as long as the kid doesn't get carried away. Some dogs feel uncomfortable being hugged, you should know your dog best.
Just don't forget a dog is a dog and as much as we like to believe that we know them and can trust them there is always a possibility for the dog to do something unexpected.
Better safe than sorry :wink:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
welcome andrea

i would surgest agianst leaving them unsupervised as kids and pups can make unwise choices and things happen
though im sure you dog is great with your daughter and most likely nothing will happen
its better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My daughter's 3, 4 in October. Yes, sometimes her cuddling is a little, well, exuberant, but Harley eats it up. I'm kind of suprised to here that I shouldn't leave them alone. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I don't have any children of my own but I would never leave my dog alone with a child. My dog is an American Bulldog and loves to play with kids, isnt easily hurt and I totally trust her. But I would never want to take any kind of chance. It has nothing to do with breed. I would not leave a kid alone with a cocker spaniel. My AB plays with my two young nieces all of the time but I keep an eye on them at all times. Better safe than sorry you know?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You will always hear never leave your child unattended with a dog, any dog. Not just bulldogs. I agree with this scenario for the simple fact that the majority of people have NO idea how to properly socialize, train, or recognize behaviors in a dog. They don't realize when their child isn't recognized as the "alpha" by the dog. They don't realize that an animal is still an animal and should be treated as such. They choose to, and remain clueless forever for the most part.

Now with that said, I will also say that personally I WILL NOT OWN A DOG THAT I CANNOT TRUST TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM WITH MY CHILD UNSUPERVISED!!! It's a parents responsibility to protect their child, and I am extremely overprotective of mine. Yet, her and the dogs romp the yard together, they play with toys, the used to dig together. I completely trust my daughter and my dogs to be laying on the floor alone watching tv while I'm cooking, or on the computer. I completely trust my dogs to be in my daughters bedroom while she's playing. I'm completely fine with her swimming in her kiddie pool with them laying beside her or her chasing them with the water hose. She respects them, and they respect her. That being said I can trust them to never hurt her, they wouldn't be allowed in my home if I ever suspected otherwise. She is also almost 6, and a very mature little girl. I have not always left them unsupervised either, she had to learn and they did as well.

You have to make your own decisions, if you don't trust the dog or yourself completely.. Then my opinion is NO, supervise them always. It's always better to be safe than sorry though, accidents can happen as they say "in the blink of an eye"...

As a child I ran the neighborhood with my dogs as well, sometimes a whole clan of dogs~ lol depending on the amount of children and who all joined in that day. We ran day and night on bikes, played in woods, you name it with them always close behind. I was never mauled nor did any dog I ever had as a child snap on me either...
By the way Welcome to the site, and Congratulations on your girl, not to mention thanks for adopting!! :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
nanniesrock said:
My daughter's 3, 4 in October. Yes, sometimes her cuddling is a little, well, exuberant, but Harley eats it up. I'm kind of suprised to here that I shouldn't leave them alone. Thanks.
My daughter is 6 and she is never left alone. With an uncertain past how could you. I have a 18 month old daughter who is very touchy feely and I still worry about her and Zena.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
JennKBM said:
Now with that said, I will also say that personally I WILL NOT OWN A DOG THAT I CANNOT TRUST TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM WITH MY CHILD UNSUPERVISED!!! It's a parents responsibility to protect their child, and I am extremely overprotective of mine.
I don't agree with that at all. I think that's naive thinking. My dog is a well trained dog, an OB I and II graduate, with clear bounderies of what and what not to do with my youngest at 7 let alone my other children at 9 and 12. I do not leave my dog and youngest girl alone. I always know where my dog is, I call to the children constantly throughout the day, "where's Darla?" if I can't see her. I have to constantly remind my 7 year old about being in the dog's face. Girls over love animals, which can make animals VERY uncomfortable.

I'm not saying that my dog will bite my daughter's face, but I'm also not saying she wont. She is a dog. with natural instincts, that outway her trained manners.

I would in NO WAY feel right in people suggesting to you to leave a 3 year old with a dog alone. Any Bulley breed dog is STRONG and can overpower your daughter, even in play.

I don't mean for any of this to sound harsh or overbearing but just realistic.

Good luck with both your babies!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Never asked anyone to agree with me, I simply posted my insight as I always do. ;) My personal situations and opinions will differ from others, as sometimes they will be the same. I was stating my personal situation. I always know where my daughter and dogs are as well, though realize they won't be in my butt 24/7. I'm far from naive... Though can say 100% that I can be in one room or all three of us in seperate ones, and there will be no issue. My daughter doesn't overlove them, they are all pretty much complacent. Never did I suggest either that she leave her three year old daughter alone with the dog.

Show me where :D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HELP

So you guys generaly sp? agree that I shouldn't, huh? When I got Harley I felt like I had hit the puppy lottery. She was never jumpy, never begged at the table, she actually didn't bark for the first 3 days I had her/. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Just as I wrote this, Hailey was laying with Harley on the floor, and harley lighty bit Haileys arm! I scolded her and put her out. I'm totally freaked! Help

Well, Hailey's defending Harley, saying she didn't bite her & it didn't hurt. I saw her put her mouth on her. She has neverdone this. Harley has always been such a great dog. I really don't know what to think or do. Please post

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
it's a tough call, i say NEVER leave a child alone with a dog (any dog), cuz again, it is a dog not a human.

when i was 6 and up, i spent all my time with my neighbors German Shepard, sometimes supervised but mostly not. we all trusted Sandy with our hearts. heck i used to stay in her dog house with her, got lice from that, she was a great dog. nothing ever happened, i was lucky. it had nothing to do with training.

let me ask you this, would you leave your children unattended at the swimming pool?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

OK just goes to show what a newbie I am. I'm glad I realized I was being ignorant before something really bad happened. Live and learn.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Well I wouldn't leave my 3 yr old with any dog alone. However I leave my son alone (in a room) with CC. If I didn't trust her I wouldd not have her. But my son doesn't bother her much, she's not a video game, so he's not that intrested. My 9 yr old uses CC as a pillow so She is alone with her for at least half the night. but I have also trained my children what not to do to a dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My family and I recently rescued a pitbull mix and she has been excellent with all four of our children,however she does once in a while mouth one of us when excited.Ican not say what harley is doing but it sounds like when our Lollie is playing.Like everyone here suggests just keep an eye on them when together.You would most certainly know if your dog is being aggressive her behavior will change drastically such as growling or a certain glare. Bully breeds are well known for their love of humans especially children but can play rough.My three year old constantly blows in the dogs face to get alicking/nipping reaction.They both extremely enjoy the interaction but never leave them alone for the simple fact that they are so powerful and even in play can harm a small person.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"My three year old constantly blows in the dogs face to get a licking/nipping reaction"

May be it's just me, but I don't see this as a good idea! A nipping reaction? Do you really want to encourage this?

It isn't because your dog's a bully that I say this. I don't think it's a good idea for any dog. I don't know about you, but I'd get pretty annoyed if someone was blowing in my face!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.