Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to handle this so any positive and useful comments will be appreciated.

I have 2 cats and a dog. The cats are 12 (7lbs) and 10 (25+ lbs) years old respectively. Xena, my 9 mo pup loves eating their food and their excrement from the kitty litter. The Vet explained why this is so but I don't know how to deter it. She also likes to chase the cats. I'm afraid that buying and using a shock collar for these things would only make Xena more aggressive towards the cats. How can I get them all to live peacefully? Why can't they all just get along?

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
We have a cat, Suki and 2 dogs...Rocket, a 1 yr old AB and Cinder a 5.5 month old boxer/pit...for our situation, I use a baby gate at the end of the hallway...the cat littler box and food dishes are on the other side of the gate, so the dogs can't get to them. Plus, it gives Suki an 'escape' if she needs it...she can easily jump the gate, but the dogs #1 haven't figured out hwo and #2 probably wouldn't be able to, because we have hardwood floors and they can't get good traction :lol: All 3 bedrooms are at the end of the hallway (past the baby gate) so Suki kind of has her ouwn 'domain' back there...the dogs aren't allowed back there (ever) and she has space to roam and be left alone.

Other than that, when Suki does venture out into the other part of the house, if the dogs are harrassing her, I use a squirt bottle on them...really, they just want to play with her, and she wants nothing to do with them :wink:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Supervise, supervise SUPERVISE!

Baby gates are great because the cats can get over/under them while the dogs can't. The cats must always have an escape - on the other side of a baby gate or on top of a high scratching post or something.

When you cannot be watching the dog, you should have him behind a baby gate that does NOT allow him access to the cat food/litterbox. Cat food/litter is not good for dogs so you really should just not allow the dog to get to that stuff. Watch him closely and correct him when he goes for these things. When you can't be right there to correct him, he should not be allowed to be free to roam about and get into the cat stuff.

I think the squirt gun idea is much better than the shock collar... I don't like those things and would not put one on my dog for this type of training.

Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, so it would be best to watch the dog and cats together very closely. Be sure to praise him when he is being good around them, and correct him when he tries to chase them. He'll get the idea if you're consistent.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I learned this from bdb.

Sounds simple, but I didn't know until I saw it here. Keep your litter box elevated. My dog used to eat the stuff too. Way to gross for me.

jackie
enjoying autumn in the glades

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The easiest way to keep them from eating cat poo is to clean the litter box more often :p.

But since that is easier said than done, what we did was to buy a covered litter box and sort of wedge it into a corner where the cats can get in and out, but the dogs' access is pretty limited.

As for the cat food, there are a couple things: keep it in an elevated spot where the dogs can't get to it, or don't free feed the cats. We do both, lol.

·
Banned
908 Posts
we have 2 cats and three ambulldogs the litter box stays in the bath room with a baby gate in frount of it it keeps the dogs out and the cats can still get in.we put there food dish in the bath room to.i thought at first the dogs would just jump the gate but 4 some reason they think they cant

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jackie. lol

You guys are a hoot! :p

I've limited Xena's access to the house by keeping her on a very long lead that's attached to stairway handrail (which I'm afraid may be gone soon). :roll: She has access to the common areas but not the kitchen or laundry room where the kittly litter is. I'd like to be able to let Xena roam free without her being such a terror.

Elevating the kitty litter sounds like a good plan, but as I said, Tigger, my 25+ mancoon cat, can't jump that high. The only exercise he gets is when he uses the sliding door as a treadmill by scratching on the glass in a pointless atempt to get out. But from the responses, I'm starting to think that maybe its all in the setup of your house.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Another great way to keep her from chasing the cats is to tie her leash to you. When she goes to chase a cat - you can give the leash a quick "pop" and correct her right away. I've done this with every foster dog we've ever had. It works for housetraing and other behavior too. Great for those times you cant really watch the dog, but don't want to leave him/her in their crate.

Baby gates work wonderfully to keep your dog out of litter boxes. Litter is NOT a good thing for them to be eating. Especially if it is the clumping kind. We've got ours in a utility closet off of the kitchen with a gate in the door way. Keeps the dogs out and gives the cats a dogless place to go. We keep the cat food on a table in the kitchen. Not the table we eat at - but a small folding table tucked in a corner. Keeps the dogs AND the 2 1/2 year old out of them!

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
I like that idea about the leash tied to you. We keep Atticus from chasing Cinder just by giving him a stern "no" when he moves towards her. She pretty much has decided that she's going to reside permanently under the bed now, unless we have the baby gates up.

·
Registered
66 Posts

We used a gate to keep them seperated and that worked well until she learned how to jump it. After that we did our best to keep them apart but we also allowed nature to take its course. Our cat has his claws and has used them a few times on our AB. She still loves to chase him once in a while but they seem to have developed an understanding.

A couple of days ago we found them on the bed together and the dog was cleaning the cat. As we watched for several minutes the cat got annoyed and without getting up, swatted at the dog three times without using his claws. He just gave her a few bops on the nose. Finally the dog gave her a swat back and then they fell asleep together. We don't worry about them much anymore... I think they like eachother.

We do keep the cat food elevated 'cause the dog would eat it all. And we are lucky to have a cat and dog that both use a doggie door so we have no litter box.

·
Registered
719 Posts
...well what we do (hopefully I don't get heck for voicing an opinion) is feed the dogs in their crates and they don't have access to our dining room - so I feed the cats there...

...I have the kitty litter box issue only with the mini-dachsie...but as soon as the Pet Store gets them in, I'm going to try the litter boxes that have the opening on top! That way the dog can't get in AND (bonus) the litter can't scatter out...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Our cats have grown up with at least 2 dogs at any one time. Our last dog left in February. Well, he wasn't ours he belonged to my sister. My sister sold her home in FL & moved in 4 1/2 years ago & brought her cat, dog & her Imelda Marcos shoe collection! She then got married in Hawaii over Christmas & brought her new hubby home to our house too! So anyway, Ceasar, chow-chow, left in February & the cats ruled the roost until we rescued Chopper. It took about 3 weeks for them to used to each other. The cats would lay across the front of the piano & Chops would go up to them, sniffing them with his big nose. Well, they let him know what they thought.....they'd swat him with both their paws on both sides of his muzzle. Now, they walk right under him rubbing their backs up against his belly & their tails curling up against him. It was really until the end of August that they were fully accepting of each other. He brings his ball up to them, drops it in front of them & barks at them to play with him. Yeah, right is the look they give him & walk away! lol!

Sleeping buddies

We placed a kitty door on our basement door. Kitty litter is in the basement. Chopper would still get into it until we figured out a way to barricade it so he can't get to it but the cats can. We put it where we have our plastic storage crates & surrounded the litter box with the plastic crates. The cats can get to it , but Chopper can't. Until we did that you could always tell when he got into it. He had a big WHITE nose! He's got a big black nose & the front of his jowls.

The cats can hide out in the basement. Chopper's so funny when he tries to stick his big head through the little kitty door! LOL! They also lounge across the piano tops & under the couches. We have the baby gate up at the kitchen/living room so the cats can go under & it's high (at least for now) for Chopper not to jump.

Hello? Hello...........are you there? Here kitty, kitty!

The kitty food dishes we have in the powder room on either side of the toilet. The door opens out & the dryer is right there. So we partially close the door & put a barricade across that if Chopper should go back there, he would end up just pushing the door close. The cats just have to zigzag around the door to get it. It all works pretty until our daughter forgets & leaves the door wide open. Walked in the door tonight & here's Chopper coming out of the powder room licking his lips! But then, on the other hand, the cats both go into his dish & eat his food. He's eating his food & the cat is right there with him scooping out kibble & eating with Chopper.

·
Registered
719 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I love the tying the leash to you too. It's highly recommended in my favorite training book, and helps with so many behaviors, plus solidifies your bond.

·
Registered
703 Posts
At my house I started with two cats and then Joe aka "Josie" moved in. He was 8 months old when we got him. The cats at first did not approve at all! It took several months of Joe of chasing them. Finally Trixie the female broke and caved into Joe's advances. Now Trixie and Joe are best of friends. Stanley the male cat still does not approve of Joe but he tolerates him. Stanley is the boss of the house and the protector of his sister Trixie and 2 adopted kittens. There is hope of them getting along it just takes time for them to get to know each other. Just make sure that the cats have their safe place to go when they don't feel like dealing with the dog. Joe loves cats/kittens, he help care for two orphaned kittens which still live here. He loves them so much that when they needed to stay at the vets over night he would not calm down until I went and got them. That's why I haven't given them away I don't think he could deal with them being gone. There is hope for a peaceful home with both cats and dogs, it will just take time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts