Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How short can you cut your dogs toenails? Belle's toenails are white and some of them you can see the pink quick but a lot of them have dirt in them from the yard and I can't see the pink. I don't know how short I can cut them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
not 100% on this... usually cut the tip so the nails not curling. I have clippers that have a guard on them, so you cant cut toooo short. You can cut it so it bleeds (did that once now Kate hates having her nails done) but it doesnt allow you to take too much off

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have a guard on mine as well. You can cut up to the "quick" which is pink
if you cant figure it out go to a groomer its only like $5

·
Registered
703 Posts
If your dog is one who likes bathes, its best to trim them after the bath (or soak their feet in a tub with a little soap/shampoo). This way the feet are nice and clean, nails are softer and easier to see the nail bed. Josie likes his toes being done but he is still so much of a puppy he can't sit still for long periods of time.
If you accidently cut the nail to short, you can control the bleeding by packing the nail with baking soda or salt. Neither will hurt the foot such as burning or stinging.( Also it won't hurt them if they lick at it.) It will just stop the bleeding quickly.

Oh just a quick trick to see the nail bed....shine a flash light though the nail ....it kind of like an xray effect!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Our dog Zeke has all jet black nails and we have this problem with him... we can't see the quick so it is hard to judge even tho we clip his nails it never seems like enough and they are getting long but are afraid to take off too much..... how fast does the quick move back once you clip their nails??? I mean if we were to clip his nails then say wait 2 weeks then clip again do you think that is enough time for the quick to recess some, cause right now we do it about once a month but they never seem to be short...

·
Registered
703 Posts
It can be nerve racking when trimming black nails. As far as how fast does it take for the quick to grow back, that depends on the dog. Everyones nails grows at different rates. Try using a small flashlight to see through the nail, I know it sound goofy but it does work. If by chance you do clip the nail to short don't panic you can stop the bleeding quickly by using salt or baking soda (as stated above) applying pressure will in most cases only cause it to continue to bleed. Or simply nip the tip of nail, then use an emery board to file the remainder off. On the average I have to trim Josie's nails every two weeks or so. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
vodka6483 said:
my dogs nails always stay short, cos i walk them. sometimes though if they have only been running on grass for about a week they start getting longer but i just walk them on the road and they fix up.
Yeah well I can walk my dogs till the cows come home, and I still have to clip one of my dogs once a week. It just have to get done, and I like to keep'em short.
You still have to clip the "thumb"nails don't you?
I do little itty bitty shavings, which is easy if you have good clippers. The safeguards aren't really worth much, as I never let the nails get long enough for those not to clip the quick.
Anyway, the good thing about shaving the nails down is that you get to see the quick when you get close to it. Even on pitchblack nails.
Pay attention to nail where you are cutting it, and you'll eventually see a small circular shape in the middle of it. That's the quick. It's softer than the nail itself, and you can stop cutting the nail. You can even do some shavings again the very next day as the quick will withdraw when you cut them this close.
I'ts really good if you've been lazy with clipping. Cut them all the way down, and shave off as much as you can every day until the nails are as short as you want them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts