Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping for advice, opinions and comments from experienced owners and breeders of bull breeds. I have seen advertised locally puppies, ready in four weeks. The dam is a Dogue de Bordeaux and the Sire is an American Bulldog. Both are kept in the household as family pets, I'm assured they have lovely temperaments and can both be seen (although I haven't done so yet). They also have a dog from a previous litter (of which they'll send me photos). ANyone have any experience with such crosses? I've read extensively about Dogue de Bordeaux, but American bulldogs are a rare occurence in this part of the world and I would like to know more about their temperament, suitability with other dogs etc. What would such a cross be like? any comments or suggestions welcome. Thank you

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Why would you want to PAY for a MUTT???

Seriously, if you want a mixed breed, adopt a dog. Look around at the shelters. Rescue one that is dying for a home already. By handing over money to backyard breeders like this you are only perpetuating the problem of irresponsible breeding and pet overopulation and you are being irresponsbile yourself.. Responsible breeders do not purposely mix dogs and then sell them for $$. That is not honest. These people want to make a buck. RUN AWAY!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The money they're asking for is neglible. I have had numerous recue dogs and "Mutts" in the past but now I'm looking for a bull or mollosser breed; I have looked in local shelters and rescues to no avail. It wouldn't be a mutt, it would be a cross between two recognisable breeds; the offspring would be somewhat predictable. I would prefer a puppy as it would grow into my circumstances, it would become accustomed to cats, I'd know it didn't chase sheep, I'd know it wasn't aggresive with other dogs. Buying a 'pure bred' puppy from a petshop/ puppy farm is far more irresponsible is it not, I don't think by getting one of these dogs I'm personally responsible for perpetuating anything.

·
Registered
886 Posts
i dont see the purpose of that cross, but oh well, wrong question to ask on this forumn. Unless you are willing to listen to everyone who tells you to not get the dog. Get one or the other, that mix sounds pointless.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Either way, buying this dog (which, regardless if it's two pure mixes or not, it's still a mutt) or buying from a petshop, are both irresponsible IMO. Both ways are supporting either BYB's (backyard breeders) or puppy mills. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against mutts. Most of the dogs on this forum are "mutts". But most are also rescues, adopted from animal shelters, not purchased from someone breeding them on purpose for a buck. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
How much are they asking for the pups? I'd pay up to 250 for the pup, to cover the whelping and vaccination expenses, but that's about it. There are like 20 "new breeds" trying to "improve" on existing breeds.

As far as the mix being 'pointless,' if it was an accidental breeding, then there wasn't a 'point' to begin with. No, the dog would not be full blooded, but alot of folks on here have bully mixes. I think that the 2 breeds would make an energetic, athletic dog, but intelligent. Both breeds must be handled firmly, as nearly every bully breed needs a firm, but kind hand.

I personally, think that a DDBD and an AB would be a cute wrinkly pup. If you know that you would provide a good home for the dog, and prevent that pup from getting into the hands of someone just wanting the dog for status points with the Homies... then get the pup.

Here is a pic of a DDBD X AB bitch. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldoguedebordeaux.htm

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I doubt it was an accident. The op stated they have already had a previous litter.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Well what's done is done and it's kinda sound's like you like the idea of the 2 crosses your looking for info on American Bulldog's here ya go ..good luck with your new pup if you decide to get it ! you said they sent you pic's of one of the other dog's from a previous litter id like to see it could you post a pic.. :wink:

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/american-bulldog.html

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
ALPHAMALE said:
Well what's done is done and it's kinda sound's like you like the idea of the 2 crosses your looking for info on American Bulldog's here ya go ..good luck with your new pup if you decide to get it ! you said they sent you pic's of one of the other dog's from a previous litter id like to see it could you post a pic.. :wink:

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/american-bulldog.html

Ditto. Good luck in whatever you choose. Sounds like you're at least trying to make an informed decision. Best of luck, and I hope you come back to share pics. May I ask, what part of the world are you from?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think if you want the puppy, go ahead and get the puppy. You do have the chance to see the parents to see if they're healthy - I'd mainly be concerned about hip displasia - you should ask if the parents have been x-rayed, or at the very least - show any signs (or look for yourself).

I'm not a fan of mixed breeds either, I don't see the point in all these 'designer dogs' whether it's a Chorkie, Cockapoo or 'American Bull-Dogue' [Dogue du America? Bordeaux Bulldog? :lol: )...

But I also don't see foregoing this puppy, if that's a cross you're interested in, for a shelter dog that might not be a cross you're interested in. Sad as it is...most of the shelter dogs are the result of backyard breeding and puppy mills...certainly that's what Celeste is! Once the puppy is here - having it go through the shelter and rescue system doesn't make it a more 'worthy' dog of finding a good home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will not get the dog if I'm unhappy with the home he/she's come from, the money is to cover whelping costs, vet bill etc (€300). I'll be able to see both parents, and an adult from a previous litter; giving me a good idea of what to expect. I won't get the dog if I'm dissatisfied with the condition, temperament and soundness of the parents. My question was not about the ethics of rescue dogs over bought dogs; if i could rescue a suitable dog i would do so. Thanks for the suggestions, comments and links, keep em coming!

Someone said they didn't see the point of mixed breeds? what is the point of any breed nowadays? Do you use your dog for bullbaiting, bear baiting, boar hunting or feral pig hunting? Are bull terriers, staffordshire bt, pit bt used to fight other dogs? Many molloser and bull breeds suffer from genetic disease and defects caused by inbreeding and an ever decreasing amount of genetic diversity, maybe such a mix would bring some hybrid vigour and decrease chances of recessive genetic disorders. Many molloser and bull breeds are bred by people purely for profit; take two registered animals, mate them (regardless of flaws, health or temperament flaws) and sell them for a small fortune because they have papers! (this has happened in Ireland with Neapolitans, english bulldogs and many more) It's far less likely that they would mate two different breeds simply for profit! If they were pure bred they would go for €1,200 each.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
There is someone on this forum with a DDB x Ab cross...but I can't remember who it is. Someone from the UK or NZ...a fairly new member.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It wouldn't be a mutt, it would be a cross between two recognisable breeds; the offspring would be somewhat predictable
Ummmm, that's still a mutt. And don't be so sure the offspring will be "predictable." In fact, breeding two separate breeds together can result in anything....but most definitely a mutt puppy. There's just such variation when someone slaps 2 random dogs together.

And I'm not sure where or why people always believe that a mutt always gets the best genes from both parents. It's a crapshoot at best & more times than not, the dog will get the worst.

Hell, so I guess my Shar Pei/Cane Corso dog isn't a mutt now? Cool............. Oh & btw, he did NOT get the "best" from both breeds. Instead, I've got a walking allergy with severe bilateral hip dysplasia with an attitude problem that we "fight" with everyday. Sounds like something we should try breeding for again. :roll:

EDIT: & I want to add that it sounds like this "breeder" is nothing more than a byb & peddler. If the pups were bred for a purpose & so damn good, then this person wouldn't be selling them & would be using them to enhance his own yardstock. But alas, he's selling them for a "bargain" price b/c we know if they were purebreds, he'd be able to peddle them for much more money.

Oh yeah, & my rare super cool Pei/Corso mix was free. How 'bout them apples?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually the offspring from two distinct breeds can be predictable, bulldog mastiff crosses consistently produced dogs of similar type, this was then further 'captured' to create the bullmastif. Same thing happened with terrier-bulldog crosses, they consistently produced the best fighting dogs, these genes were then fixed by in terbreeding with other 'crosses' of the same type.
I didn't say they'd get the best genes! I said they would have less chance of being homozygous for deleterous recessive disorders.
Your arguement was needlessly aggressive and dn't answer any of the questions I asked.
I never said the pups were 'so darn good'! They have kept offspring for breeding stock

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ummmm, that's still a mutt
Yep

I'm assured they have lovely temperaments and can both be seen (although I haven't done so yet).
The puppies or the parents? As Miakoda mentioned, when you throw two different breeds of dogs together, you can theoretically get "the best" of both but you can get THE WORST too.
So go ahead and buy one if you want but I can't condone it, when dogs are dying all over the country every minute, and people are still churning them out for the almighty dollar!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
They have kept offspring for breeding stock
How odd. I thought most people kept offspring for WORKING stock, not just to breed. Sounds like a puppy mill in the making.

And you are not correct in saying that breeding 2 different breeds of dog will produce predictable offspring. I can find a Bullmastiff & breed it to an AB & then go find another BullM & breed it to another AB & keep doing the same thing until I have 10 different litters. And I can promise you each litter WILL vary in looks, structural build, temperament, etc. If it were proven that just with 1 breeding one would have a set standard with the offspring, then it would be able to be called a "breed" immediately.....as of right now, it takes years & years & generation after generation after generation of crossbreeding to beging to obtain offspring that conform to a standard.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Check out this mix breed

Ambullneo Mastiff --- breeding an English Mastiff male to a Neapolitan female where two pups from this litter were then bred to a Game Bred Pitbull. These 50/50 crosses were bred to a Bullmastiff. The result was a 45% Bulldog, 55% Mastiff cross. An American Bulldog/Pitbull was bred to a Bullmastiff producing a 70% Bulldog, 30% Mastiff cross. This was bred to the 45% Bulldog, 55% Mastiff cross to produce a 57.5% Bulldog, 42.5% Mastiff.

and it's listed on the NKC :cry:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like a great cross! I would get a puppy yesterday.
I have three dogs, all crossbreeds! I love crossbreeds!
The semantics about sponsoring $-hungry backyard breeders, I will leave uncommented. In general you will get a healthier dog, but make sure that you meet the sire and dam first, they have to be more than ok, if not just walk away. If you re not dog experienced, bring somebody how is
Good luck

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
boz_y said:
Sounds like a great cross! I would get a puppy yesterday.
I have three dogs, all crossbreeds! I love crossbreeds!
The semantics about sponsoring $-hungry backyard breeders, I will leave uncommented. In general you will get a healthier dog, but make sure that you meet the sire and dam first, they have to be more than ok, if not just walk away. If you re not dog experienced, bring somebody how is
Good luck
I'd like to know where your facts come from to back up that statement. Because that whole "mutts are healthier & friendlier" stuff is basically an old wive's tale. While mutts are great dogs & make great pets, it ignorant to think that they pairing of 2 totally different breeds, or other mixed breeds, with totally different temperaments & structure is going to result in "superdog". In fact, just as many mutts end up with the worst of all genes resulting in a structurally unsound dogs (hip dysplasia, elbow & patella subluxation, etc.) with sketchy temperaments. Since there is no standard or even a care in the world about breeding quality dogs to produce quality dogs, then breeding mutts is nothing more than a crapshoot. You HOPE you get a good dog out of it, but the odds aren't in your favor.

Now I have nothing against mutts. I have always owned a mutt or 2 & will always do so. I've got a Shar Pei/Cane Corso MUTT who is a prime example of what can go wrong when 2 purebred dogs with no similarities is bred just for shits & giggles. He's got severe bilateral hip dysplasia, bad knees, horrible allergies, & is very temperamental to boot.

The truth is, people breed "purebred" dogs for a reason & this reason is consistency at the least & hopefully for betterment. With mutts, you have no idea what the combo can bring out, especially if you're breeding one mutt to another mutt as you don't have a clue as to what wen in.

And there is no way in hell I'd ever pay for a mutt. I've fostered a wonderful English Mastiff/APBT cross, a Cairn Terrier/Yorkie cross, a Labrador/Golden Retriever cross, & several other mutt/mutt crosses & NONE have been healthier than my APBTs. Mutts can be found anywhere & everywhere. ANYONE selling a mutt is just too damn lazy to go get a job himself/herself & feels that anything with the proper reproductive organs is put here to make him/her money.

But hey, it's only opinion.

And btw, the East Baton Rouge Animal Shelter has a whole litter of "oops" 'puggles'. Imagine that. :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
why are there so many people always act like they know more/better than other people? why do they always talk like they are the good ones?
why do you think "purebreds" are better than "mutts"? What make yo think they are backyard breeders? what make you think they are money hungry? Do you know them?

where are these so call "purebred" dogs from? like Doberman, Bullmastiff, BUll Terrier, Black Russian Terrier (you name it!!!), from cross breeding different breed of dogs! they are man made dogs!!! THEY ARE MUTTs!! all dogs are mutts!!! they give this name "PUREBRED" for a commercial purpose, because PUREBRED dogs are alway with a sky high prices, they can make more money.

Who created Doberman? who created Black Russian Terrier? Who created Great Dane? Were they bad people? were they money hungry? Now you call these dogs PUREBRED dogs, but they were called mutts! what's the difference? Yes, these dogs were created for a purpose, how the hell do you know these dogs are creating are not for a purpose? Do not get pups from they if you do not like them, but please do not act like you are better than them! or you know better than them! do not judge them if you do not know them, you are just you, they are they, mind your own god dame business!

I am not a dog breeder, but I think the best way to breed is the natural way, when a female dogs is in heat, get all the male dogs together, let them compete, then the strongest one mate with the bitch, not the color, not the size, not the look, NOT man made!

finally, those who stated that they will only pay for whelping and vaccination expenses, I think there is something wrong with your head, you are just cheap and selffish! what? they bred mutts so they should give you a pup for nothing?! what about their work, their time? oh, I am doing them a big favor. who the hell asked you for a favor!? if you want the pup, get one, and pay for them! if not, go get a pup somewhere else, end of story! do you know there is word call "matching"? you just want to have a pup but do not pay more money! you get a pup from them then you talk about them in their back! acting like you are saving a poor pup from devil! what a shame!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts