Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm not sure how many of you might rip me apart for this one but after reading I'd like to post anyways. Dozer was my pit rescue and Bruiser was our AB rescue. They both came with loving hearts and wonderful personalities. We were stationed in the Army in TX when a little boy was attacked by a pit so we went through a lot of heartache trying to keep our boys on post. My dh left the Army and we moved back in with mom and dad until he transferred to the CG. Our boys loved having room to roam finally and lots of wild turkeys to chase. Let me reitterate that they were both awesome with other dogs, loved people, and loved children. But people can be such as#holes. One night our boys were outside in their pen and dozer found a loose fence tie. He shouldered out of it and Bruiser followed. They started running around greeting the neighbors. One neighbor up the road, who I'll call Mr. Dickhead, was drunk and having a party. He didn't like "pitbulls" running around so he went inside and grabbed his garden shears. Evidently, our dogs started barking at him and he started swinging his shears. I'm sure he must have hit on of them but he says that they attacked him completely unprovoked. I know my boys and they wouldn't have done anything like that. Another guy came running out and hit Bruiser with his bat and Bruiser bit him. Our boys came running up and hid in the garage while Mr. Dickhead (drunk) started calling me names and cursing in front of my little girl. He showed me where they "attacked" him and it didn't even break skin. I figure Bruiser nipped him and took off. Cops were called and charges were threatened because the police were told that we let them roam free and that they were aggressive. I was so mad that I tried to run after the guy and my dad had to hold me back. I ended sitting with our boys in the garage for hours crying knowing what we were going to have to do.
The next day the officers called and we were told that we could put them to sleep and the matter would go away or we could be sued and brought before a judge. It felt like we were being pressured into euthansia especially since the officer knew Mr. Dickhead. We were also leaving for our duty station in two weeks so we felt like we were at a brick wall. We put them to sleep. It was the most horrible thing I have ever done. Most of you I'm sure hate me for even letting them escape in the first place and trust me I have the same self-hatred. I can't even look at pictures without freaking out. A piece of me died in that room that day. I feel so hollow and I sometimes just feel myself saying i'm sorry over and over again to them. I can't get over it. We though Lily would help the grief but I don't think I feel the same about her that I did about my boys. I hate looking back and knowing that we put staying out of court before them. We played God and now I don't think that pain will ever go away. So, I guess no matter what you might think of me for letting this happen please say a special prayer for Dozer and Bruiser. Hopefully they find the peace that I failed to give them in life. RIP my baby boys.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I know that I am late in saying this but I defaintly don't hate you.........I feel aweful for you and your boys, there was nothing that you could have done.....and I hope that you do not beat yourself up too much for that ..............I am truly sorry that you and your boys went through that .......They will be waiting with a wagg and a snuggle for you :angel7:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
WOW, what a situation.I am so sory to hear what you had to go through and your boys.That is horrible.
I really doubt anyone on here will hate you.They got out and that happens.Dont beat yourself up over it.
RIP Boys,your momma will see you on the other side

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am sobbing!! I am so sorry!!I wish I could say something that might ease you but I dont think any of us with words will be able to ease such a thing. Just remember you loved them and you loved them well!! Society pushed you against a wall and you had to make a decision. It is never fair the pain that this world can place on us but we must do what we do to the best of our abilities.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
vaughndyer1 said:
I am sobbing!! I am so sorry!!I wish I could say something that might ease you but I dont think any of us with words will be able to ease such a thing. Just remember you loved them and you loved them well!! Society pushed you against a wall and you had to make a decision. It is never fair the pain that this world can place on us but we must do what we do to the best of our abilities.
NO matter where you go or what you do, there's always going to be a Mr. Dickhead around the corner. You didn't let them roam. They got out, it could happen to anyone. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, but you did what you had to do. Nobody should hate you for that. If anything, we hate the Mr. Dickheads of the world even more than we did before reading this. And, always remember, if Dozer and Bruiser could tell you, I'm sure they'd say they don't blame you for what you had to do. They blame themselves or the Mr. Dickheads of the world. May they RIP.

~S

·
Registered
163 Posts
BanterBull said:
vaughndyer1 said:
NO matter where you go or what you do, there's always going to be a Mr. Dickhead around the corner. You didn't let them roam. They got out, it could happen to anyone. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, but you did what you had to do. Nobody should hate you for that. If anything, we hate the Mr. Dickheads of the world even more than we did before reading this. And, always remember, if Dozer and Bruiser could tell you, I'm sure they'd say they don't blame you for what you had to do. They blame themselves or the Mr. Dickheads of the world. May they RIP.

~S
I totally agree!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just wanted you to know that I had decided to put Maxine to sleep if she had been found to be a "Dangerous" dog due to Mrs. Dickhead's constant complaints. We were not going to be able to do all the modifications to our home and yard necessary for a "Dangerous" dog, plus pay all the penalties that come with the label. I cried myself to sleep every night she was in doggy jail, six weeks, trying desparately to come to terms with the possible outcome.

I, too, am sorry for your loss. Our boys, and girls, including your family, are fighting halfway around the world for our freedom, yet here, in America, we are not free from society's standards. I will pray for you and your loved ones.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
BanterBull said:
vaughndyer1 said:

~S
Well put Shawn. You are obviously still suffering a terrible loss. No one here can judge you or your dogs. It could happen to the best of owners. I will say a little prayer for your boys. Take comfort knowing that there are no Mr. Dickheads in doggy heaven. The boys are there waiting for you with forgiving hearts and wagging tails. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts