Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet recomended we use Dreamcoat on Scarlet...her coat is really dry and just not as healty as it could be. I went to the store to pick it up and the teenager who helped me did not recomend it because it has soy bean oil...she said " I dont know how you feel about soy bean oil but I dont recomend it." Well I got it anyway because I figure if the vet approves it its OK....

so...whats up with soybean oil...is it thats its fatty? The vet did tell us it is the equivalent to a tbsp of butter in their meals...but Scarlet can use it. We are not giving it to clutch.

Does anyone else use this??? Should I switch to something esle???

·
Registered
979 Posts
cfhoftampa said:
My vet recomended we use Dreamcoat on Scarlet...her coat is really dry and just not as healty as it could be. I went to the store to pick it up and the teenager who helped me did not recomend it because it has soy bean oil...she said " I dont know how you feel about soy bean oil but I dont recomend it." Well I got it anyway because I figure if the vet approves it its OK....

so...whats up with soybean oil...is it thats its fatty? The vet did tell us it is the equivalent to a tbsp of butter in their meals...but Scarlet can use it. We are not giving it to clutch.

Does anyone else use this??? Should I switch to something esle???
While I am sure dreamcoat will work to make your dog's coat shiny, good nutrition would too. I would examine what you were feeding the dog before spending money on the oil. So what do you feed?

JMO
Paula

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed her canidae all life stages kibble. Its good food...shes just got her problems. My other dog on the same food looks great cost feels great...but scarlets for some reason isn't.

·
Registered
979 Posts
cfhoftampa said:
I feed her canidae all life stages kibble. Its good food...shes just got her problems. My other dog on the same food looks great cost feels great...but scarlets for some reason isn't.
Hmm, that is a good food.

Paula

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
bearsmom said:
I was going to refill on my Fish Oil pills. But then I saw the Mega Multi Complex. It has Omega 3,6&9. Fish, Flaxseed and Borax (sp?).
borax??? isn't that a laundry detergent :lol: :lol: sorry, one beer to many :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
attitude said:
supplementing with an omega 3/ fish oil is better, imo. personally i wudn't use a veg type oil

Ok I guess I will finish the bottle of dream coat and then just go buy the salmon oil pills...how much do you put in????????

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i never bought pills. depending on the time of year, summer.. a teaspoon once a day and winter a tablespoon, give or take, once a day

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
attitude said:
bearsmom said:
I was going to refill on my Fish Oil pills. But then I saw the Mega Multi Complex. It has Omega 3,6&9. Fish, Flaxseed and Borax (sp?).
borax??? isn't that a laundry detergent :lol: :lol: sorry, one beer to many :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, borage oil .

I just checked the bottle. It's called Super Omega Complex with Fish Oil, Borage Seed Oil, Flaxseed Oil and Safflower Oil.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
bearsmom said:
attitude said:
bearsmom said:
Sorry, borage oil .

I just checked the bottle. It's called Super Omega Complex with Fish Oil, Borage Seed Oil, Flaxseed Oil and Safflower Oil.
where did you get this and how much do you give?

1 a day?

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
poor Orson, what DOES he eat??? lol
:lol: I thought all his hair loss/bald spots, shedding and dull coat were maybe from allergies, so he eats DVP duck.
Coat looked really good for a little bit, but now he has problems all
over again!! Maybe he isnt allergic :?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
snarky said:
bearsmom said:
attitude said:
bearsmom said:
Sorry, borage oil .

1 a day?
I got it in the vitamin section at Walmart. I give 1 a day.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bearsmom said:
snarky said:
bearsmom said:
attitude said:
bearsmom said:
Sorry, borage oil .

1 a day?
I got it in the vitamin section at Walmart. I give 1 a day.
So is that a pill??? I now they have bottles of the fish oil pills...they look just like vitamin E pills and you just poke them and squeeze the liquid out. Do you think I should give more then one of those a day?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It's like a thick gel capsule. I don't break them. I just put the whole capsule in their food and they eat it with their kibble. It says on the bottle you can take more than 1 a day. I would start with 1 though and increase. Some dogs get softer stool in the beginning.

If I were you since your have skin problems I'd get the Super Omega Comples that has Omega 3,6&9 in it. Fish Oil itself is only Omega 3.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
I use the Omega Complex for Clara, too. I also get them at Wal-mart. The brand is "Natrol" Omega-3 Complex. There are 90 pills to the bottle and the bottle is very dark with a purple label and a purple cap. The web site is http://www.natrol.com I have to poke a hole in Clara's also and put it on a piece of bread to give to her. If she has the capsule she thinks it is fun to squeeze it between her teeth and watch the oil squirt out. :roll: Not fun to clean off carpet. I give Clara one a day. Although to be honest now that she is used to it, I have been thinking to increase it to one in the morning and one in the evening. This is how I do their Brewer's Yeast tablets.

·
Registered
269 Posts
bearsmom said:
attitude said:
bearsmom said:
They have it at Costco too. I was just looking at them this weekend.

As for feeding them pills, I play a game with our dogs where I throw a piece of kibble in the air (several times) and tell them "catch" at the end of every training session. I do this because it is fun, and it conditions them to eat stuff out of the air. We give Sibyl a supplement, that when put in her food, she spits it back out or leaves it in the bowl. Now I just toss it in the air during "catch" sessions and she will eat it every time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts