Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when playing fetch with my AB he does very well with everthing but dropping the ball, any ideas or techniques to help him learn to give the ball up?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
What I've done with my dog Legend is I've taught him "Trade". So say he's running around with something he shouldnt have I say "Legend Trade" he drops it I say "good boy" and give him something he might want better. Like a new toy(I always keep new toys in the closet), a treat. He knows both drop it and trade. So maybe you could use the same method.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
We taught Atticus to drop it by telling him drop and giving him a treat. If I grab what's in his mouth, and he pulls, I tell him "eh eh", and then try again. He usually gets it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Work the treat for trade until your dog knows the command out, or drop, thenuse corrections to get the command 100%.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson has a hard time with this too.
If he's guarding the toy, i've taught him to "back away" so
i can grab it.
But if he has it in his mouth, about half the time "leave it" will work.

My problem with the trade out, is when playing fetch i dont know
which one he will chase. If i throw the alternative toy, he might still
want the old one or vice-versa... :? aggrevating cause i have to
go fetch myself the one he wouldnt chase!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I find that buy using food, that this is a very easy thing to teach! Just be sure that in the begininng you show the dog the food so that it knows you have it. Dog will probably spit out the toy as soon as it sees the food if it has good food drive and not already full from just eating. As the dog starts letting go of the toy, say the word you use "drop it", "out" or whatever. Eventaully you will no longer have to show the dog the food and eventaully you will only have to reward the out intermittently.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
hmm, my delema atm!!!

the chick from pet smart hasnt taught this to the class yet!

buy our cameron u need to use a treat of tug for a few (makes it worse with her clamping)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts