Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good recomendations for an obedience training DVD/Book to work with prong collar??? Sheila has the basics down alright, just a matter of fine tuning and she starts the Schutz Club soon, but would like to get some more work done with her before she starts. Found a series of training videos online at http://www.leerburg.com/302.htm, anyone here ever tried or heard of these??? Well invested money, or just your average training videos??

·
Registered
790 Posts
"advanced schutzhund" by Ivan Balabanov. I think this is a true classic. It is an indispensible read if you want to train dogs.

LOL! the Koehler's method of guard dog training..........a classic, I don't know why. I made many mistakes by following the koehler's methods. Not a personal favorite.

However, I think it is important to read everything and formulate your own opinion, based upon the TYPE of dog you have.

Good luck.

I would just follow your training director. Learn from him.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
PeterC said:
"advanced schutzhund" by Ivan Balabanov. I think this is a true classic. It is an indispensible read if you want to train dogs.

LOL! the Koehler's method of guard dog training..........a classic, I don't know why. I made many mistakes by following the koehler's methods. Not a personal favorite.

However, I think it is important to read everything and formulate your own opinion, based upon the TYPE of dog you have.

Good luck.

I would just follow your training director. Learn from him.
i believe the question was about obedience NOT schutzhund or guard dog training books. so i take it you don't use, more or less, koeher methodology in ob training?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I disagree attitude.......

I think there is NO book that tells you more about obedience and imprinting for correct ob than the book by Ivan.

Most of that book emphasizes training techniques and ideals. Yes, it does go over the specific exercises, but that part about withholding reward as the GREATEST punishment, for me, was eye opening. Also, the fact about the way in which you should reward your dog was facinating. Self medicating through the handler.......man, I leaned so much.

I think this book has HUGE implication for even fly ball trainers.

As for koehler's methods.......well, it works to a degree.
It creates a dog that complies, not a dog that is JOYOUS to work. I want the latter.
I have found that with VERY hard dogs, the keohler's methods simply WILL NOT WORK and is dangerous. It encourages handler aggressive dogs to have "issues" and there is no avenue given for the dog to relieve this stress, except to the handler and that is not healthy.

The thing is, koehler does not mention ANYTHING about imprinting the dog and reward systems. Balabanov does.

If you have a very hard dog that is NOT willing to comply and it is handler aggressive, koehler has no answer for this. His methods will get you hurt. Balabanov's methods have less issues between the handler and the dog. The dog's action creates the reward or the punishment. Now, that does not mean Balabanov does not correct his dogs. I am sure he does.

Having said that, whaever works for your dog.......

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I like Ivan's book as well. I have his videos also and I have yet to see a trainer with better ob. He is a master at that.

Another good one to read if you are going to do Schutzhund is simply titled "Schutzhund" by Susan Barwig and Stuart Hilliard. Excellent book to help a novice understand the basics of the sport.

Both these book are available through Amazon.

I think if you are going to be doing Schutzhund that it is imperative you do the proper ob imprinting. The ob you see in Schutzhund (at least with the good trainers) is second to none and often can't be achieved with the classic yank and crank training methods only. No offence but you are probably going to have to change your whole philosophy of trainng ( I know I did) if you want to be succesful at Schutzhund. It probably wouldn't hurt to actually start from scratch with your obedience training.

I also agree that you should talk to your training director about what you should be doing on your own..that's what they are for.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
PS..

if you can get a hold of anything by Teri Arnold give that a read also. She doesn't compete in Schuthzund but is a very succesful AKC trainer and I find her techniqes can also be beneficial to sport training as well. There is a whole list of books and dvd's here.....the ones by Gottfried Dildei would also be a good choice.

http://www.workingdogs.com/book045.htm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am just looking for some extra material, yeah my training director is there to lead the way, but I do not want to take my dog into an endevour blindly with out knowing a bit of what goes into it. As mentioned I am doing it mainly for the OB and hope to get the BH and then go from there down the road, depending on how Sheila does. But until I start the club sessions I would like to re-start her on the basics and solidify her sits, downs, comes, and heels. She does em at about 80-90% of the time, which I do not know if for a 7 month pup that is average or below. She definetly needs more work with distractions etc..... Thats when her listening goes out the window, but she is a puppy so i do not put her in these situations to often as to not expect too much of her just yet (wrong or right??) Lots of playing, toys, treats and long walks is what we do most for now. I will check out the both books, but am a bit iffy on "not treat systems", I am no trainer, expert or even beginning handler, but seems animals in nature (including humans) perform better when there is some sort of praise, recognition involved, and of course there also has to be consequences for wrong actions/decisions. Still open to any other suggestions!!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I like the leerburg tapes they are well put together and have alot of info on them, now thats not to say i dont use other mehotds for soem things i do, but for the most part they can show the beginning path.
I personally really like the Bernhard Flinks videos on there, lots of good methods from postive to force when needed. Keep in mind bullys mature later so if you think its too early for soemthing a shepherd does on the video trust your instincts and your dog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts