Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i don't know why, but DVP duck/potato and venison/brown rice have been causing my tankie to have light colored and soft stool. i know it's the food for a fact cause he went to the dog kennel for the weekend while i was gone this weekend, came back pooing solid, then when he went back to DVP, stool became all mushy and hard to pick up again. :-k

i've read past posts about it being maybe its the ingredients in the food that his system is just not accepting. has this happened to anybody else? suggestions on what food to switch to if anybody else had this problem? or supplements?

i was considering canidae or nature's recipe healthy skin venison and rice. any objections? thanks as always folks :lol:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
A lot of dogs have soft stool with DVP, Wellness, etc.. Please also note that venison is one meat that a lot of dogs have allegies to. I tried switching Bear & Molly over to Wellness Simple Solution Venison and Bear broke out scratching. When I took him to the vet she said that since I just started the switch and this reaction happened that it was probably the venison. And that a lot of dogs have reactions to venison. Bear also alway had soft stool with DVP. I've had him on RC Bulldog for about 4 months now and the stool firmed right away and his tears stains disappeared.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
FRANKtheTANK said:
i see. do you work for royal canin? jk. i will consider the switch to RC as well. thanks for the suggestion :p
Just trying to give my experiences. I really think DVP, Wellness, etc. are great foods and I wish Bear would have taken to them better but it just didn't happen. Please keep in mind though about allegies to venison. Maybe if your looking for a food for skin you could try Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato. Or try a Super Omega Supplement or fish oil.

http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixSwtPot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, tank had food allergies to certain foods, couldn't tell the exact ingredients he was allergic to though. i made certain switches to improve his skin, and DVP helped in that. the trade-off was leaving skid marks all over the grass :roll:

i already give him super omega supplements cause it helped him with his skin. he had a really bad case of ringworm and yeast infection when i first had him. so glad that ordeal is over.

thanks again for your experiences!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate was on RC and she loved it.... but then she had runny poo twice in a month and the vet said it could be something in her food. I then realized that since she had been on it, she never really had firm firm poo.

So I switched her to DVP Duck and Potato. She had soft poo until I got the portions correct. If I over feed her even the littlest amount she gets soft poo. but if she gets the right amount of food it is nice and firm.

Knowing that now, the soft poo on the RC might have been from over feeding her and the runny poo could have just been something she ate outside or could have maybe been from the food.

Since you did just kennel him, that could definitly be the cause of the soft poo. They can get upset, anxious, or overly excited being there that their bodies just do not act the same. Also, I've taken Kate to the kennel with the exact amount of food she should get for the time there and came back and half of the container was still full. So sometimes those places don't always feed them the correct amount which could mess with his system

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
All my dogs have small, firm bm's from DVP. HOWEVER, since every dog is an individual, not every dog will have the same results on the same food. If DVP is not working for your dog (& I'm sure dogs can be allergic to venison, however it's very very rare & also venison is used in allergy foods) then try another top rated food. Don't downgrade at all (Royal Canin is a huge downgrade).

I know lots of people with dogs on Canidae that do great.....mine looked awful & had several soft bm's every day.

Try Timberwolf or Solid Gold or Nature's Variety (or something equivalent).

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson eats the DVP duck and for maybe the first month eating it, he
had soft light colored stools off and on. Now he poops 3 times a day and not alot of volume and it's normal looking....
plus he doesnt fart (man those were foul smelling!).

I guess his body just took a while to adjust to all the
"real" ingredients in the DVP compared to
the eukanuba he was eating!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
Orson eats the DVP duck and for maybe the first month eating it, he
had soft light colored stools off and on. Now he poops 3 times a day and not alot of volume and it's normal looking....
plus he doesnt fart (man those were foul smelling!).
EXACTLY what happened with Kate!!! Even with a slow switch. And now its dark and firm. And at first she had horrible horrible farts so I was like wow, this food isnt good at all! But gave it another week, everything cleared up and is very very nice now

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Miakoda said:
bearsmom said:
Miakoda said:
Don't downgrade at all (Royal Canin is a huge downgrade).
In your opinion, what is the "huge" downgrade of Royal Canin?
Ingredients included, quality of ingredients......you name it. It's full of junk & just given a fancy name & had certain ones "made" for specific breeds as a marketing tool............

It scored an A+ in the food rating topic. It's "made" for specific breeds may be a marketing tool but there is truth in it. The Bulldog 24's shape has slowed both my dogs down in eating because of it's shape as they state and I no longer have gas issues as they state.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
When I bought RC, I bought it because of the rating it got from the dog food formula and it is sold at ALL petco/petsmart unlike DVP which is only sold at certain ones. Only when I went to buy it did I know about the specific formulas. Yes they are a marketing tool but to the people who know better, that does not matter

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Kate said:
When I bought RC, I bought it because of the rating it got from the dog food formula and it is sold at ALL petco/petsmart unlike DVP which is only sold at certain ones. Only when I went to buy it did I know about the specific formulas. Yes they are a marketing tool but to the people who know better, that does not matter
DVP is sold at my Petco. That's where I used to buy it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It is sold at mine too but when I was in upstate, NY, I was trying to find some Pet Supplies store that said they carried it. But I saw a Petsmart first, so I was like hey, while I see this one I'll just get it from here. They didn't carry it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I believe it is the highest quality ours sells too. All the other foods you need to go to a special store for which I can't find one of those in Rochester ANDDDD I can't afford THAT much! DVP is the most I can afford!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I feed Sam DVP Duck and Potato as well and I notice from time to time her BM's are soft and even a tad runny - but it's not all the time. Does that mean I should change? It could mean I need to monitor her portions better. I'm so lucky cause we have a specialty store right in Milford (next town over from me where I grew up) and we've shopped there since I was a kid. The lady who owns the place is extreemly helpful and will give you TONS of samples to help you find the one that works best with your dog AND if your dog doesn't like it - you just bring it back and get a different one. Which is a good thing for me otherwise poor Sam would probably still be eating purina one cause I never knew any better!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
newpitowner said:
I feed Sam DVP Duck and Potato as well and I notice from time to time her BM's are soft and even a tad runny - but it's not all the time. Does that mean I should change? It could mean I need to monitor her portions better.
How do you feed her? I measure Kate's food with a cup that I don't fill all the way so sometimes I can't be as accurate and that is when I overfeed her the slightest bit.

If you are feeding her with something that is more accurate then my method then there is a chance it is the food. Is she able to get into stuff outside that might be causing the softness?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts