Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what people are saying about e-collar's I know I have read some things on here in the past. If I were to go this rout it would be only for a few things that are a little out of control, we are great on our basic ob commands, and I plan on continuing her training without the collar. Does anyone know much about sportdog? We have a pro-deal through this company. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've got one of the sportdog collars that I rarely use, since I decided not to work on off leash walking with Bella. It can be a useful tool, but consistency is the key. I wouldn't use it on a very young dog. Bella responds very well to just the vibrate setting, and anything over level 2 would completely freak her out. I mainly used it 2 regain her focus, when she gets fixated on something.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All great responses thanks. It's not for lack of training. I train three times a day and take a few days off hear and there to give her a break. I have been training her during her walks and take her to busy places and try to train there. I have followed the advice of others and not fed her so she works for her food. She is very obedient and well mannered in our house and our acre lot. Once we leave and see dogs or people she goes into freak mode and no matter what we do she will not have anything to do with us. No source of food or toy or anything can get her to switch her focus and she is very strong. I feel that I have been doing all the necessary training. When she sees someone or especially a dog I can force her sometimes to sit and stay until I try to move or they move and she goes crazy and starts choking herself from pulling. Again I have tried the not feeding and giving her dog food in the form of training, Sausage, Liver, these are all things she goes bonkers for at home or with recall training around the yard but could care less with people or dogs around. Not sure if this is just a stage or if she will become more focused on us as she grows. This has put me on the path of researching the e collar and would not get it until she is older but am just trying to find out what else is an option. Thanks again for any help or advice.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
when you train at home she will learn at home. when you train in the yard she learns the yard.. its a learning stage, every place you train she will eventually learn. it takes alot of Patience to train a puppy in new stimuli environments, and some folks dont want to take the time and patience to wait it out.. some want it NOW and wont relax and go with the patience needed. now you have to up the treat reward. since the other treats arent working in high stimuli environments you have to A. up the food reward to something better and B. start slow and not take her right away to a high stimuli place, start small, work up to listening, then move to next higher stimuli area.. honestly putting a shock collar on a puppy who is doing what is natural is not the way to go, but that is up to you.

some people just dont want to take the extra time and training and patience to work thru each stage, some do.. it depends on the person...

maybe you should think about a no pull harness, or a prong collar instead of going right to a e collar (shock collars can damage more then a prong or no pull harness faster then those items if used incorrectly...)

if you dont have the patience to keep working at it then bypass the training and get a prong collar for her. the prong willl self correct so you dont have to do any correcting. its a training TOOL.. you will still have to work with her on higher stimuli to get her used to a flat collar ...

good luck in your training

·
Registered
745 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts