Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an E collar from a friend. A bit hesitant to use it on sheila, not because I think it is cruel, but because not sure on what exact behaviors it should be used on. Example, my dog loves to jump on people and us, we have tried turning, ignoring her, etc...... she gets the pic after a while, but still does it initially like when we get home. She is still nipping, I have tried many of the methods mentioned here to no avail, she gets into these temper tantrums and has this thing for biting at my shorts and usually misses and bites my knees. So my question, with the collar, do you activate when they are in mid motion, do you have to catch right before they pounce etc...... how often should you use this training device. And are there any good websites with info on their use. Thanks. Still debating.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Peter C does know more about this than most. Don't use it unless you know alot about e-collar training. In the wrong hands it can do more harm than good. Is jumping the only reason you got one?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Can you tell me what model and brand of e collar? Some are so slow in response time, that I find many of these collars to be useless. Timing is everything. Again, that is why I only use.....Tritronics, Dogtra, or innotek (not durable, but works well)

Personally, I do not use the E for jumping issues. Why would you. Remember, you are training it to turn it OFF. You are right there, so why do you not just put a tab on your dog on a pinch collar and set it up? Simply and easier and you probably will not screw it up.

When using the E, it is not a simple matter of zapping the dog. Too many people want short term, fast solutions.

The main problem is timing and the dog's associating the stimulus. What if..........the dog thinks the stimulus comes from the person he jumps on. He will learn to not like people or EVEN worse, fear people. Do you want that? This is why many people screw up using the E.

If you are going to use it.......take a class. The first thing is to teach it to turn it off. Basically, you set the level on your collar to where it barely gets his attention (barely), but a bother.
Play with your dog in an enclosed field on a long line. Press the E stimulus........THEN tell the dog to "come". When the dog turns to come.....THEN at that moment, you turn the stimulus off. That is why continuous stimulation is so important. So, by coming to you, he turned it off.

YOu see, the dog LEARNS that complying to your command turns OFF the stimuls. As distractions increase, so does the stimulation level, but as the dog learns, you will get FASTER and FASTER response with lower and lower stimulation level. Why? Because he knows how to turn the collar off.

That is the key........and the hard part. Teaching the dog HE is in control of the collar. Now, if your timing is off, then you messed up your dog and all your future training is f'ed up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree with PeterC, jumping doesn't seem like e-collar material. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an e-collar more for training a dog for performance not just basic obediance. It sounds mean but I just stick my knee out so it hits them in the stomach, not in a violent way, but enough to make the behavior not worth doing. That way they are jumping into my knee, they're doing it to themselves as opposed to me kneeing them. It should be a passive correction.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess the e collar goes back to my friend for now. I had it ALL wrong. The main problems I am having is biting and jumping. She is 5 months now, and have tried pretty much everything else for the biting. I thought the e collar was to stop behaviors you did not want etc.... VERY wrong was I. I am going to see if there are any club classes or seminars in miami for E-collar use and do some more research. thanks for all your inputs

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one more question

For now! What command do you think is easiest to teach (ie hardest to messup) with the e collar to get started with. I found a couple of good websites with step by step etc.... Seems like the sit to me, zap at command and then off second the butt hits the floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts