Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Could be. I would take him in and have it checked. We had a dog who had a yeast infection in her ear. She'd shake her head like crazy and had some yucky gunk in her ear.

·
Registered
380 Posts
AsianRedneck said:
yeah the red stuff smells he shakes and scratches his head like crazy...How do I apply the alcohol and vineger pitmommy?
I put the mixture in a small shampoo bottle, then use cutips or cotton balls. this should give relief even if you still go to vet.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The half winter green alcohol & half white vinegar cleaning solution is a great solution to CLEAN the ears with. However, if the dog has a yeast infection or ear mites (although not common in dogs), then it will do nothing to solve the problem. I use this solution on my dogs. HOWEVER, the dog has scratched the inner ear & has a sore, then the alcohol will burn like hell & chances are he won't let you close enough to ever clean the ears again. That's why it's also good to have a store bought non-alcoholic ear cleaning solution as well--i.e. Nolvasan.

The dog in question needs to see the vet to rule out yeast infection, bacterial infection, or ear mites. Treatment varies depending on the diagnosis & the medicines are prescription only. If left untreated, irreversible damage can be done to the inner ear.

Once you've treated this initial problem, then you need to look for the underlying cause of why the dog developed the ear infection in the first place. Lots of water, from activities such as swimming, getting into the ears combined with you not cleaning them & then drying them out completely creates an ideal environment for yeast to grow in. Dogs that have recurring ear infections could also be showing signs of food allergies, inhalent allergies, immune disorders, etc.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anybody know what to use on a yeasty skin rash on a belly? My dog gets this area on her belly that smells yeasty and is damp and reddish brown. I used the alcohol/vinegar mix and she practically jumped through the roof. I felt horrible. Usually she likes it when I use a damp washcloth on her belly so I think the mixture burned her skin. Can I use ear wash on it?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Scarlet just had a yeast infectionin her ear and it was full of red stuff! Go to the vet and most likely they will give you some drops and antibiotics...don't use all of it...you will probably need it again!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
First off, I would take the dog to the vet to rule out anything else. But here is a few great home recipe treatments. The first one can also be used for other ailments as well.

INGREDIENTS:
16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. You will also need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. To use, purchase the "Clairol" type plastic bottle to dispense solution to affected ears.

TREATMENT: Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Wait until inflammation has subsided which will be about 2 days.

Shake the bottle each time before using. Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle), massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue. Flood again on first treatment, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage. The dog will shake out the excess which can be wiped with a tissue, the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics.

SCHEDULE OF TREATMENT
Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears
Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks
Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog)

All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the second or third you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. Their success rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.

Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear healthy.

If an infection seems to be remaining in the treated ear after the above course of treatment, you may also have some Pseudomonas bacteria in the site. This can be eradicated by using a gentle flush of raw apple cider vinegar and water (warm). Use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water, 2x per week.

They have found this treatment to be effective for treating fungus-type infections on the feet and elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots. You may find other uses for this simple anti-infective agent. Remember it is for external use only and be careful not to get into the eyes.
~~~
Another very popular EAR TREATMENT: Domes Solution

1 tablet or 1 package (1 oz.) of Domes (Domeboro) powder
3 parts white vinegar (3 ozs.)
1 part alcohol (1 oz)
Combine ingredients, add enough water to make a pint. Use water that has been boiled at least 5 minutes, but cool the water before making the solution. Pour some of this solution into the ear, rub gently, and swab with cotton.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Never mind all the home recipies you could hurt your dogs ears, get some oticlean and clean his ears out good with that and then put some (monostat7) just like a woman uses for a yeast infection in his ears and if it is a yeast infection it should start to clear up with in a couple of days, clean ears once a day and apply monostat7 once a day if you dont see any improvement withen 4 or 5 days then he need to go to the vet because it is a bacteria infection and your vet will have to determine what kind of bacteria it is and prescribe the right medication for that infection! But first try what I said with the ear cleaner and monostat7 it will save you vet bills if it is yeast and if its not he has to go to the vet nothing else will cure a bacteria infection but the medication the vet has and if you dont treat it, it will not go away!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anybody know what to use on a yeasty skin rash on a belly? My dog gets this area on her belly that smells yeasty and is damp and reddish brown. I used the alcohol/vinegar mix and she practically jumped through the roof. I felt horrible. Usually she likes it when I use a damp washcloth on her belly so I think the mixture burned her skin. Can I use ear wash on it?
half water and half apple cider vinegar solution, apply that with a rag 3 x's a day

·
Registered
703 Posts
ambull040769 said:
Never mind all the home recipies you could hurt your dogs ears, get some oticlean and clean his ears out good with that and then put some (monostat7) just like a woman uses for a yeast infection in his ears and if it is a yeast infection it should start to clear up with in a couple of days, clean ears once a day and apply monostat7 once a day if you dont see any improvement withen 4 or 5 days then he need to go to the vet because it is a bacteria infection and your vet will have to determine what kind of bacteria it is and prescribe the right medication for that infection! But first try what I said with the ear cleaner and monostat7 it will save you vet bills if it is yeast and if its not he has to go to the vet nothing else will cure a bacteria infection but the medication the vet has and if you dont treat it, it will not go away!
I have too agree about the home recipes! The Oticlean I have used and it works well but I've never heared of the monostat7! I don't see why it wouldn't work or it being harmful. Do have it taken care of a.s.a.p. shaking of the head (making the ears flap against the head) alot can cause damage to the ears. Hematoma's (pockets of blood between the tissues and cartilage), which is very painful. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.