Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Haus, it's his first birthday tomorrow, and he's got an ear infection :( He keeps shaking his head, and rubbing his ear on the carpet. I looked in his ear, and it was full of brown gunk. Some of it is dry and crusty, and some of it is waxy. I called the emergency vet to see if there was anything I could do to comfort him tonight, and she just said to clean it out with dry cotton balls the best I could. So that's what I did. :( We're taking him in tomorrow to get some antibiotics or ear drops.

Does anyone know of any home remedies to help the inflamation? His ear is really red.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
garlic

I use to use a mix of olive oil & garlic for ear infections. But you have to mix it a 1 to 10 ratio , Olive oil is used as the base.
I use this for both my dogs and kids they shake there head a lot right after for awhile cause it feels funny but it fights the infection
its an herboligy recipe. I work with herbs and aromatheropy reflexology and that type stuff I like the natural cures.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So we took him to the vet. He has a really bad yeast/bacteria infection in his ears. The vet flushed both of them, and gave us both ear drops and antibiotics for him. Then, she noticed he was licking his bum, so she checked his anal glands. They were full, so he had to have them expressed. Poor guy. He also got a shot of cortizone to help with the inflammation around his ears, and some anti-histamine. :(

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wow...he was a mess!! Are you still taking him to Eastland? (I think I've asked you that before, but I can't remember what you said.) Bella hasn't been to the vet since she had her histiocytoma. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she won't have terrible allergies this spring/summer.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, we take him to Eastland still. The vet thinks Haus may have allergies, so we'll have to do a screen.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bella_blue said:
Environmental allergies? That's what Bella has, but we're not sure exactly what she's allergic to. Everything outside, I'm assuming. :lol:
Yeah, she thinks it's environmental since we didn't have a harsh winter. Who knows? :roll:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
Yeah, she thinks it's environmental since we didn't have a harsh winter. Who knows? :roll:
Keep me updated. We've been debating whether or not to have Bella screened. She's much more responsive to Benedryl now, though, so I don't know if we will. She got a mild case of hives a few weeks ago when the weather was warm and we let her play in the backyard for a couple of hours. 50mg of Benedryl completely knocked the hives out.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haus had symptoms of allergies to food when he was a pup. We changed his food, and that fixed the skin problems. Now, it's something different, and we're not sure what.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Bella had an extremely weak immune system when she was a baby. She was always having allergic reactions to things (hives, digestive issues, etc.) and getting staph skin infections We're thinking it's because she was the smallest pup in the litter and maybe didn't get enough of her mom's antibodies from her milk. Now that she's getting good food and supplements, her immune system is much stronger, and she hasn't been to the vet for anything since December. I'm hoping her allergies will be much milder this summer.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bella_blue said:
and maybe didn't get enough of her mom's antibodies from her milk.
This is Haus' fault. :lol: He was the moose of the litter.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
HausMommy said:
So we took him to the vet. He has a really bad yeast/bacteria infection in his ears. The vet flushed both of them, and gave us both ear drops and antibiotics for him. Then, she noticed he was licking his bum, so she checked his anal glands. They were full, so he had to have them expressed. Poor guy. He also got a shot of cortizone to help with the inflammation around his ears, and some anti-histamine. :(
Poor guy...I know how you feel, we just went through the same thing with Scarlet...not the anal part lol but the yeast infection part...we also got antibiotics and eardrops...her ears looked better with in 2 days so I hope it works out good for him too!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cfhoftampa said:
HausMommy said:
Poor guy...I know how you feel, we just went through the same thing with Scarlet...not the anal part lol but the yeast infection part...we also got antibiotics and eardrops...her ears looked better with in 2 days so I hope it works out good for him too!
I have to clean his ears daily for a week. Sucky cuz I know he's not going to cooperate.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
HausMommy said:
cfhoftampa said:
HausMommy said:
I have to clean his ears daily for a week. Sucky cuz I know he's not going to cooperate.
Thats funny cause Scarlet loves it...she thinks it like a $400 massage or something. She will lay there with her eyes closed and just soak in the pleasure. I know she is the odd dog there! Haus will be fine though, its just a yeast infection...I know my vet said that if the get it bad once it will most likey happen again and he gave me the bigger bottle of drops so when it comes back you can medicate it right away...so we have a nice stash at home!!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cfhoftampa said:
HausMommy said:
cfhoftampa said:
HausMommy said:
Thats funny cause Scarlet loves it...she thinks it like a $400 massage or something. She will lay there with her eyes closed and just soak in the pleasure. I know she is the odd dog there! Haus will be fine though, its just a yeast infection...I know my vet said that if the get it bad once it will most likey happen again and he gave me the bigger bottle of drops so when it comes back you can medicate it right away...so we have a nice stash at home!!
Yeah, our vet gave us a big bottle of drops, and a big bottle of ear wash. She said Haus laid there and moaned like he was enjoying it, so maybe I'll get lucky with it :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts