Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadie has been battling ear infections for over a year now! I just don't know what to do the vet is great and keeps changing the antibiotics- today we are having a culture done! I just hate having her medicated all the time, even though it's ear drops. She shakes her head and scratches her ear constantly- Anyone have any advice or experience with this? Could changing her food maybe help? Right now she is eating Wellness whitefish and sweet potatoe- thanks.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
My Dalmation has had ear problems since I got her at 9 months of age and she is now 7 years old.
She just had ear surgery about 4 months ago.She had chronic ear infections, all kinds of medication
it would clear up then come back and went on like this for years well the last time we had her in to the vet they discovered an ear hematoma which is caused by shaking of the head and scratching the ear it causes the blood to build up in the pocket of the flap of the ear and surgery is the only way to fix it so she had that done and knock on wood for what ever reason she hasn't had any ear infections since then.Now I did change her food to Nutro Natural lamb and rice which may have helped but again I will be switching her food cause both dogs have horrible gas from it.I do clean her ears out once a week with a wash rag and q tips.We found that Molly is allergic to the ear solution which would inflame the ear more so I just wet the wash rag in warm water ring it out and wipe the inside of her ear and use q tips for the hard areas to get to.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! The vet just tried an injection of prednisone which helped for a few days, he did a culture and the only thing he found was a little bit of yeast. He thinks she is atopic because she also chews her paws and scratches her mouth until it bleeds. We are going to try switching food again to see if that helps! this is just so frustrating! We hate to see her uncomfortable!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It does drive you mad doesnt it :roll:
I think the smell is enough to make me puke :?

Watch those shots.They always made Molly pee
100 x more then what she all ready does.

Try switching the food
clean the ears once a week with ONLY water like a wet wash rag

See if any of this helps.
I found if they get cleaned out once a week
it helps a GREAT deal :wink:

Good luck :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Overdoing antibiotics can do more harm than good (they can build up a resistance to them and before long, you will have nothing that will work)..I feel if a vet just keeps prescribing them without getting to the cause of the problem..you need another vet.

A diet change may help, but it seems as if you are already feeding a good brand of food. Have you checked for mites?

I had a male who had chronic ear infections. What eventually worked for him was to clean his ears once a week only with a 50/50 solution of rubbing alchol and apple cider vinegar. I would use a syringe to squirt it into the ear and wipe it out afterwords....the vinegar is acidic and breaks down any gunk in the ear..it also cuts down any yeast. The alchol acts as a drying agent and keeps the ear from remaining moist. It worked wonders for him and a few other dogs. Eventually he stopped having any infections, and now I use the solution once a month or so as a general cleaner.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Blue Power Solution

INGREDIENTS:
16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. You will also need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. To use, purchase the "Clairol" type plastic bottle to dispense solution to affected ears.

TREATMENT: Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Wait until inflammation has subsided which will be about 2 days.

Shake the bottle each time before using. Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle), massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue. Flood again on first treatment, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage. The dog will shake out the excess which can be wiped with a tissue, the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics.

SCHEDULE OF TREATMENT
Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears
Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks
Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog)

All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the second or third you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. Their success rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.

Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear healthy. If an infection seems to be remaining in the treated ear after the above course of treatment, you may also have some Pseudomonas bacteria in the site. This can be eradicated by using a gentle flush of raw apple cider vinegar and water (warm). Use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water, 2x per week.

They have found the Blue Power Solution to be effective for treating fungus-type infections on the feet and elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots. You may find other uses for this simple anti-infective agent. Remember it is for external use only and be careful not to get into the eyes.

~~~

Another very popular EAR TREATMENT:

Domes Solution

1 tablet or 1 package (1 oz.) of Domes (Domeboro) powder
3 parts white vinegar (3 ozs.)
1 part alcohol (1 oz)
Combine ingredients, add enough water to make a pint. Use water that has been boiled at least 5 minutes, but cool the water before making the solution. Pour some of this solution into the ear, rub gently, and swab with cotton.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts