Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this morning that nelson was shaking his head every 5 mins or so like he has water in his ears or something. The last time we went swimming was last Sunday. I looked at his right ear and it looked fine then i looked in his left ear and it had all brown stuff in it, like dirt. kinda like he'd been playing in the mud or hadn't had that ear cleaned for ages. So i got some cotton wool pads and cleaned it with a skin and ear cleaner for dog and squirted some in his ear canal after and massaged his ear.

I had a look at his ear about 6hrs later and it had some brown stuff in it again. I just don't know if its dried up blood or what? perhaps the ear cleaner that i squirted down his ear canal has brought up this brown stuff that was embedded deeper in his ear (which is what its supposed to do). has anyone else see this? his ear doesn't smell funny coz i know thats a sign of infection.

the vets don't open til monday and i haven't seen him shake his head since the 2nd cleaning (except a few times after i squirted the ear cleaner down his ear canal the second time). any idea what it could be? his actual left ear is also a darker pink than the right ear and he won't let me touch that ear. but that could be because i keep squirting stuff in his ear.

any advice?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Brown, sticky stuff is usually ear mites. Dog's shake their heads like mad when they have them, and if you notice that he is shaking so much that the ends of his ears swell a bit... you may need to tape them to his head. You sure don't need another problem with a hematoma on top of the mites.

There are dozens of ear mite treatements you can buy off the shelves at pet stores... but IME, they work best after a good cleaning, but most cleaning products can often irritate already sensitive tissue.

http://www.poodles.tv/blueear/

That is an EXCELLENT cleaner. You have to make it yourself tho. I always try to use natural remedies before chemicals, and always try to cure topically before giving meds internally.

Here's a link to natural ear care for dogs, including mite treatment.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/eareyes.htm

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Thanks for that link, Cowbella...had some really great info! I've always wondered how 'aggressively' to clean my dogs' ears.

And it's interesting that the cleaning solution 'recipe' you posted has genitian violet in it...that's what moms use for thrush in a baby's mouth, yeast infections of a nursing mom's breasts and on baby's bottom for a yeast diaper rash...that stuff is GREAT! LOL!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if its ear mites or yeast infection is it ok to leave it til monday? or if i get some ear mite stuff tomorrow from the pet shop will it hurt if he doesn't have ear mites? can i get yeast infection drops from the pet store too? if i use both for a couple of days they should clear up?

or should i take him to the vet to get checked out on monday?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I would take him to the vet I have had alot of experiance with ear problems and the meds must be given for two weeks for a yeast infection let me find a recipe I have for cleaning ears and I will p.m. it to you

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
4NGI3 said:
so if its ear mites or yeast infection is it ok to leave it til monday? or if i get some ear mite stuff tomorrow from the pet shop will it hurt if he doesn't have ear mites? can i get yeast infection drops from the pet store too? if i use both for a couple of days they should clear up?

or should i take him to the vet to get checked out on monday?
Id clean his ears with the recipe CowBella posted above...if it IS a yeast infection, that cleanser should help clear it up (genitian violet is often used to treat yeast infections). If it's not a yeast infection, it certainly won't hurt hi,. I would also go ahead and get stuff to treat the ear mites. See how he's doing after you do both of those and if he still seems to be having issues, give the vet a call monday. I don't think this is anythin that warrants a trip to the vet this weekend.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I would think so. Be careful of him scratching his ear tho, you don't want to get a secondary infection from abrasions. Definately get his ear checked, just to make sure you know what youre dealing with, just in case it is a foreign object. After you know 100% that it is ear mites, if he gets them again after this is cleared up, you know what to look for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.