Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more question, how do you clean out their ears. I've had a few dogs and her ears have got to win for being the dirtiest but she will not let me touch them with a 10 foot pole! I don't want to deal with an ear infection, but she will not let me clean them out. Even if I have my husband helping she flaps her ears around so much that I can't get a good look and I don't want to injure her ear. :(

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
That's been a real battle for me too. I usually wait until I'm giving the dogs a bath and try to squirt the stuff in there. Since they are allready wet and somewhat confined in the shower, it's not quite as bad. It's not good either though. I'm thinking about getting one of those noose things the groomers have to keep their head still. They'r just so strong and fast. I swear, Heidi can spot the little blue bottle from a mile away. She gets like this incredible super-human strength when she doesn't want to do something. It's sorta like wrestling a gator!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The vet will clean them if you are not able to do it.Molly is so use to having them done she doesnt give me any trouble but Buster on the other hand well,he's a lil buster............LOL.Shouldnt cost you more then $10 I would think to have them done.We are wroking with Buster so he gets use to us clipping his nails and cleaning his ears but he does put up a fight :roll:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
We have always had major issues with Shelby's ears. The vet gave us some solution and an antibiotic cream that I have to put in her ears at least 2-3 times a week. It takes me and my husband to hold her down to do it. She knows what the bottles look like, and if she sees us coming towards her with them she darts in the other direction!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Most dogs do fine with having their ears cleaned. However, especially the dogs whose ears are already raw & infected, some don't appreciate your helping out at all.

Start off with just getting her used to having her ears rubbed & massaged. Offer her treats while you do this. Once you feel the time is right to try some cleaning, start off with just a dry cotton ball & swab the inside of her ear out. Keep this up & when she allows you to do this with no fuss, buy a reputable brand ear cleaner (you can make your own 1/2 Winter Green Alcohol + 1/2 White Vinegar.....however, many dogs don't like the smell of the alcohol & if the dog has a raw/infected ear already, the alcohol will burn). Pour the soluntion onto the cotton balls......I like to have everything set out & ready beforehand. Then, take the wet cotton ball & place inside the ear. Lower the ear flap & massage. Then remove that cotton ball, repeat if needed, & then dry the ear with dry cotton balls. Although a dog's ear canal is not shaped like ours, I don't suggest using q-tips especially with an already nervy animal. Even if you can't get deep into the ear with a cotton ball, the purpose of the cleaner is to bring all the crud up to the surface so the next day you can clean out more.

Good luck!

And btw, you only want to clean the ears out once every week to 2 weeks. If the dog is prone to ear infections, 1-2 times a week is idea.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Working at the clinic I learned a great trick. If you can manage to hold her long enough to squirt a little ear cleansing solution in and then rub her ear really well to squish it all around when she shakes her head a lot of the dirt will come out. Then you can work your way up to swabbing them out as well.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Okay Mags is 2.5 years old and I have NEVER cleaned her ears out :oops: SHould I be? She has never had any ear infections and when she goes to the vet and he checks them he has never cleaned them or said anything to me about it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts