1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If it is a close space like his crate he may be trying to keep his area clean

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Some say it would be because of a lack of nutrients so your dog is eating the other poo to try to make up for what she lacks

But I also believe some dogs just do it. Both of my aunts dogs (a GS and a irish setter) just do it cause they are disgusting.

If you can catch her doing it, spray her with a water bottle and tell her no. Maybe you can train her not to eat them by doing that

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Best thing to do is be on constant poop patrol and pick it up before she has a chance to eat it. Or you could sprinkle it with hot chilli powder and then when she eats it, it won't taste as "pleasant" (altho i can't imagine poo tasting all that great in the first place!)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
peeblerelf said:
Best thing to do is be on constant poop patrol and pick it up before she has a chance to eat it. Or you could sprinkle it with hot chilli powder and then when she eats it, it won't taste as "pleasant" (altho i can't imagine poo tasting all that great in the first place!)
LMAO

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
angie7349 said:
peeblerelf said:
LMAO
Hi angie I think thats a great idea.You only have to do that once.It wont do it again.I bet ? Ha! thanks angie :wink:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
They eat their own poo because their bodies are not absorbing all the nutrients so to them it still smells like food. If you sprinkle meat tenderizer on their food (about a half teaspoon per bowl) they will not eat the poo. Eating the tenderizer does not affect them in any way, but when they poo it smells bad. You can buy stuff from the vets but it is way more expensive and has the same main ingredient as the meat tenderizer. Good luck!! I went through this so I totally know how you feel!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maryserratos said:
They eat their own poo because their bodies are not absorbing all the nutrients so to them it still smells like food. If you sprinkle meat tenderizer on their food (about a half teaspoon per bowl) they will not eat the poo. Eating the tenderizer does not affect them in any way, but when they poo it smells bad. You can buy stuff from the vets but it is way more expensive and has the same main ingredient as the meat tenderizer. Good luck!! I went through this so I totally know how you feel!!!
Hi took stella to the vet tonite.He said its because we changed her food from dried to tinned.It was the tinned food that made her do it.So from now on. no tinned food for stella. Thanks for all the advice.X

·
Registered
34 Posts
lol. this is funny. my shepherd mix would always eat the cats poop, she would sometimes eat her own but not very often. but something about the cat poo she liked. my AB, Harley, does this every now and then but not too often. only when shes in her crate, and shes tried to get at the cat poo a few times. my mother has a jack russell, she tried the chili powder on her poop trick, this had worked with our other dogs before. only the jack russell had never shown any signs of allergies before, the chili powder did the trick though. they had a nice trip to the emergency vet that night, but she never went at her poo again after that! lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts