Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently run into a mouse infestation and have been leaving traps and nailing shut holes. Today, one was found in my closet, by Mia. I encouraged her to go after it, but she didn't get the mouse. :cry: I started to wonder though, is it safe if she catches one and eats it??? :?:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
That could be dangerous for her. If the mouse has ingested any poison that perhaps a neighbor has set out, that would go into Mia's system. But I guess if the mouse ate poison, it should be dead so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about! :lol: You may need a second opinion on this one. #-o

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think your right Chico some kinds of rat poison doesn't kill right away and i think it might kill your dog if they eat it

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Not just possible poisons the mouse has ingested - but who knows what kinds of diseases or infestations the mouse has. Some of that could be passed on to your dog if she eats one.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Most poisons available today have no secondary kill factor...meaning, the mouse can have eaten the poison and died from it, but it will not kill the animal that eats the mouse.

Secondly, the dogs digestive system is geared for eating game (think of how many folks feed a raw diet)...I have a few dogs that catch and eat mice, ground squirrels, jack rabbits, birds whatever they can catch....thier systems are capable of breaking whole animals down and being resistant to many diseases...as long as your dogs are healthy, vaccinated, etc. you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my concerns wasn't really the poison, because my neighbor's and I all are pretty close with talking to each other. It is nice to know that they don't have a second animal kill factor though.

The issue I was concerned with, which I probably should have put in the first place, was that I have pretty much kept Mia from killing anything. I know that she got her gameness (prey instinct) really strong right after she turned a year old. She is always hunting insects and spiders. The birds are good at flying fast, the rabbits have eluded her and the squirrels tease her from the other side of the fence. IF she finally does get to kill an animal instead of just an insect, is she going to want to do so more? That is part of what they were originally bred for, is the seeking/hunting aspect.

·
Registered
704 Posts
To answer honestly, yes....once they start actively hunting and catching prey, they will continue to do so. For me, I have no problems with this...my hubby is allergic to cats, and the dogs keep the mice away... the ground squirrels eat our hay crops, hay seed and horse feed (the mice do to). But, what may be good for me, isn't what's good for everyone else. If you do not want her to continue to catch mice, then don't allow her to do so now.

If you are wondering if it's going to make her aggressive in anyway..not at all. Hunting is perfectly natural for these guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carrie said:
Hunting is perfectly natural for these guys.
Thanks, I don't care if she hunts the mice, for 2-3 days, I have been trying to get her to realize there was an incorrect scent in the house. I DON'T want the mice in my house ever. It was the other hunting that I was worried about. I just didn't want her to try and jump the fence all of the sudden for squirrels. You answered my question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts