Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this problem. Bruiser doesn't chew his food at all. He usually eats it all in a matter of seconds :shock: and then he lets out this very loud and impressive burp (kinda disgusting really :( ). A lot of times he's burping some of the food back up and then coughing it out.(usually I'm really disgusted at this point) My questions are: Can eating that fast and not chewing make him sick? And, is there anyway that I can make him slow down and chew?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
not sure what food you have him on, but one thing that the Royal Canine food prides itself on is the shape of their food. It is bigger and sort of wavey. It is made so the dogs have the chew it, leaving less gas in their tummy too.

Other then that, I don't have many suggestions, haven't come across this problem!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm feeding him Authority brand puppy food. They're small pieces. The next time I buy food, I'll look for the Royal Canine. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
if you do happen to switch to Royal Canine.... remember to do the slow and gradual switch. But they do have a bulldog forumla and even tho its not specified, it looks like its leaning more towards the English side of the bulldog. So I just started feeding Kate the boxer forumla. I was told that is the kind that is recommended for Pit Bulls and both the pit bull and the boxer have more similar body types to the AB then the EB does

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
We went through this with Haus. The vet instructed us to add a bit of water to his food to slow him down a bit. Also she suggested that you put something heavy in his bowl(like a big rock) so that he has to work around it. One other suggestion she had was to spread it all out on a cookie sheet so that he can't gobble up HUGE mouthfuls. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the help everyone. I just didn't want him to choke or have any stomach problems.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
One other suggestion she had was to spread it all out on a cookie sheet so that he can't gobble up HUGE mouthfuls.
That's a good idea! Or, SCAB, you could put his meals in a Kong or similar toy so he has to work to get them out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have had this problem too, but she doens't seem to have any sid effects of it. Just destroys her food every time though. The vbet told us we were feeding her the right amount, but those are some good hints, the Rock or the cookie sheet, only thing im afraid of with that is her getting it everywhere, she's not the neatest girl in the world.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Both my dogs inhale their food. I add a LOT of warm water - like you as much as you would add milk to cereal. Takes them twice as long to eat, and the extra water can't hurt.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
mjdato said:
We have had this problem too, but she doens't seem to have any sid effects of it. Just destroys her food every time though. The vbet told us we were feeding her the right amount, but those are some good hints, the Rock or the cookie sheet, only thing im afraid of with that is her getting it everywhere, she's not the neatest girl in the world.
The vet mentioned that feeding from the cookie sheet would be messy/noisy, but that it would help them slow down. She suggested feeding them in the kitchen or anywhere with tile so that it would be an easy cleanup. If your dog is anything like Haus, there wouldn't be a crumb left anyway.

Haus always licks his bowl clean, seriously!

·
Registered
16 Posts
HausMommy said:
mjdato said:
The vet mentioned that feeding from the cookie sheet would be messy/noisy, but that it would help them slow down. She suggested feeding them in the kitchen or anywhere with tile so that it would be an easy cleanup. If your dog is anything like Haus, there wouldn't be a crumb left anyway.

Yes, Taylor is the same way, that's not a bad idea. I will try that and the water, she always seems to be thirsty anyway so I will try.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
mjdato said:
HausMommy said:
mjdato said:

Yes, Taylor is the same way, that's not a bad idea. I will try that and the water, she always seems to be thirsty anyway so I will try.

Yeah, the water slows Haus down, but he doesn't seem to want to eat. The vet said this is normal, since the mushy texture doesn't usually sit well with the dogs. Also, the vet said be careful of giving them TOO much water. They should get 1 ounce per lb. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
HausMommy said:
mjdato said:
HausMommy said:
mjdato said:

Yeah, the water slows Haus down, but he doesn't seem to want to eat. The vet said this is normal, since the mushy texture doesn't usually sit well with the dogs. Also, the vet said be careful of giving them TOO much water. They should get 1 ounce per lb. :)
Great! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
No problem! :wink:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
okay Kate just did the LOUD burp and the food up with it.... did she do that because she ate it too fast?

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
HausMommy said:
We went through this with Haus. The vet instructed us to add a bit of water to his food to slow him down a bit. Also she suggested that you put something heavy in his bowl(like a big rock) so that he has to work around it. One other suggestion she had was to spread it all out on a cookie sheet so that he can't gobble up HUGE mouthfuls. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip about adding water...I did that for Rocket, and he has slowed way down...he was inhaling his food in about 1 minute, then getting the hiccups/burps. I was really worried about his 'speed eating' contributing to the risk of torsion/bloat.

Tara

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Hand Feeding

I'm really sorry but for some reason this thread had me LMAO!
I can picture this big bulldog just devouring everything in sight and then burping as if to say "Next!".

Then the post "try hand feeding" really sent me over the top. Welp, there goes another digit :D

I am not making fun of anyone (trust me) it just struck me funny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
loco does this, at home he eats as though he's never seen nor will he ever again see foodand then he either burps very loudly or gets a serious attack of hiccups.......
i think this is because he's concerned that snowy will try to get to it before he can finish it even though she's not very interested in food. she is however very protective over her food and even if she doesn't finish it she will guard her bowl and not let anyone else near it.....selfish little missy!
when he is away from home and other dogs he will eat gently and even leave some for later! :shock:
i'm sorry bellas mum but, i wouldn't recommend hand feeding as some dogs will rely on you to do that everytime they eat. that can become a problem. does your family of five consist of any other dogs?
if so feed them seperatly.
x
www.crazy4loco.piczo.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts