Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
Well I go home last night from work and find a note on my door stating that my dog was barking during the day and people were complaining about this issue. They said that Tobey was barking between the hour of 8:30 in the morning and 9:00. Now I doubt that he was barking in a constant matter because he doesnt ever bark at night and he only whimpers once in a while if he knows we are home and he is in his crate. I was wondering what should i do to take care of this issue. here are some of the ideas that i had.
1) put a tv in his room and play it during the day
2) let him roam through the hall and buy a gate so that he wont be getting into anything that he shouldnt
I have an extra tv so the first idea wont cost anything except maybe for one of those dog babysitting dvds (Has anyone use them?) and the second idea will be alright i just dont know if he would not use the bathroom for that long of a period of being out of his cage with no supervision. He doesnt use the bathroom when we are home and watching him but we usually let him out every 3 hours or so and this would be for 8 hour periods at least. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I am assuming you live in an apartment? This is one reason why I generally do not advocate people owning dogs who live in apartment buildings, its not fair to your neighbours!! However, a no bark collar may do the trick.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If owning a dog in an apartment building was such a bad thing then why would they allow pet friendly apartments? I will be moving into my house withing a few months. The apartment is just a temporary resident until the move.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Then I suggest the no bark collar in the meantime. IMO it is extremely unfair to your neighbours to have to put up with barking, pet friendly apartment or not. People should not have to put up with barking dogs. Here is a link to the Dogtra website. I know someone with the Dogtra no bark collar and they are very happy with it. It should defiinitely do the trick for you. Your neighbours will love you for it.

http://www.dogtra.com/

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I owned a Apartment building in Moncton NB Canada and we had people telling us we were the only building allowing pets. For the reason no one wants to put up with barking,accidents and complaining tenants.
I would recommend a bite collar as well. I used one on my bitch carley and you didnt een have to put it on after awhile i told her be good showed her the collar and she wouldnt bark :wink:
But now i dont bother with it my dogs dont seem to bark anymore just when they are being crate trained

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Your dog is bored. A tired dog is a happy dog. Wake up extra early before you have to leave & take him for as long a walk as he can manage. Then play with him some more once back before you leave. Have someone go during the day to let him for some exercise & as soon as you get home, take him for another long walk & play with him/do some obedience with him for the rest of the evening.

Your dog is barking b/c he's bored, has too much pent up energy, & is not getting enough attention. It's not a problem with the dog.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
We live in an apartment and I swear, we are the only one with a dog that isnt an annoying barker. She will let out a couple barks when she hears someone at the door, but will not bark repeatedly. Thats one of the things that I liked about ABs, alot of people said they were minimal barkers. I agree, it is not fair to neighbors to have a dog barking all of the time. But if it is an apartment complex that allows dogs, other people should not be upset if they hear a dog bark a few times. If its constant, thats a different story. Miakoda gave what I think is excellent advice. If you wear out your dog, he is less likely to bark. Does he have some toys to play with? Just make sure they arent anything that can be torn apart and choked on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts