Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Thank you for highlighting that, i simply did not understand what was what in regards to the mammut bull, so to summarise a mammut bull is an RB with a long coat which is a trait brought out by the creator of Ironbulls RB's.
Correct me if im wrong ?

Do you have any pictures of Mammuts mother ? As i can only find one hit for a long haired american bulldog, and this suggests that it originates from AB x Collie to gain the long haired coat.
Your welcome, its very hard to understand the german sites.

American Bulldogs carry the recessive gene for long hair just like rotties, GSD's and many other breeds. It can happen naturally although uncommon, its believed to be from St bernard being mixed in the lines at the time of the breeds creation (with rotties and AB's anyways). The dogs can carry the gene without expressing it because its recessive and you need two recessive for the trait to show in the dogs appearance. So the dogs can carry it around for quite some time until it meets another recessive and bam you have a few furry puppies.

ETA yes horses mother was from a German line of AB she is not a mixed breed, just a fluke that happened so she was sold to Ironbulls since the original kennel had no use for her because she was against the standard. With a lot of these breeds that carry the recessive gene if it does get expressed in a litter of puppies its kept very hush hush and sometimes the dogs are culled.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Your welcome, its very hard to understand the german sites.

American Bulldogs carry the recessive gene for long hair just like rotties, GSD's and many other breeds. It can happen naturally although uncommon, its believed to be from St bernard being mixed in the lines at the time of the breeds creation (with rotties and AB's anyways). The dogs can carry the gene without expressing it because its recessive and you need two recessive for the trait to show in the dogs appearance. So the dogs can carry it around for quite some time until it meets another recessive and bam you have a few furry puppies.
I have just read now that a breeder has been breeding for 15 odd years and in his time he had 1 set of Long Haired AB's interesting, must be a bit of a shock when they come out all furry :)

Will Horse be bigger than your typical Mammut bull because of his Mother being an AB ?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
To be a little more exact the Hermes Bulldogge also carries the long haired gene and was used in the foundation of the RB. It is also rumored that Johnson as in Johnson ABs used ST Bernard at some point. From time to time RBs where born with long hair, half the litter Juggs comes from had long hair! Just because you don't know about doesn't make it not so.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Maybe but judging by the size he is now I think he will be significantly smaller then a standard AB, but I don't know until he is finished growing. he is about 25 pounds now at 4 months so significantly smaller then an AB pup at his age.

I knew a breeder of rotties, beautiful dogs, show quality ect ect, she ended up having a long haired pup in a litter..... no long haired dogs in the pedigree as far back as she could trace it. The pup went to a working home.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
To be a little more exact the Hermes Bulldogge also carries the long haired gene and was used in the foundation of the RB. It is also rumored that Johnson as in Johnson ABs used ST Bernard at some point. From time to time RBs where born with long hair, half the litter Juggs comes from had long hair! Just because you don't know about doesn't make it not so.
Did they cull them?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Sorry I have another question. So talking about the Mammut only, by definition it is a RB mixed with long haired AB? OR is it a long haired RB?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sorry I have another question. So talking about the Mammut only, by definition it is a RB mixed with long haired AB? OR is it a long haired RB?
I think the goal of the mammut (and this is my guess because I don't know), is an athletic long haired RB, they are using the AB for genetic diversity.

To be honest I don't even know what is going on with the mammuts in Germany at this time, they never update the site, there is a standard but its very hard to translate, I wish I had more information but its just not available or I am unable to read it.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I think the goal of the mammut (and this is my guess because I don't know), is an athletic long haired RB, they are using the AB for genetic diversity.

To be honest I don't even know what is going on with the mammuts in Germany at this time, they never update the site, there is a standard but its very hard to translate, I wish I had more information but its just not available or I am unable to read it.
Ok so what I am asking is if the addition of the long haired AB is new or they have been doing that. You said the Mammut is not brand new, so historically, what are these dogs made of?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
LOL

Next time tell them to call me
It's not as common as it once was. They've done a pretty good job finding carriers making sure that they don't get matched up.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I found this pic the other day on a german forum.
I am pretty sure this is what Horse will look like as an adult (minus the colors) I believe this dog (only judging by its structure) is a mammut out crossed to an AB.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Maybe but judging by the size he is now I think he will be significantly smaller then a standard AB, but I don't know until he is finished growing. he is about 25 pounds now at 4 months so significantly smaller then an AB pup at his age.

I knew a breeder of rotties, beautiful dogs, show quality ect ect, she ended up having a long haired pup in a litter..... no long haired dogs in the pedigree as far back as she could trace it. The pup went to a working home.
Hudson was about 30lbs at that age... He is 65lbs at 10 months. His mother was an OEB. We suspected he'd grow to 80lbs by 2 yrs, but who knows since he has barely grown since turning 8 months haha.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thats crazy, I cant wait to see horse full grown.

Colby was 30 lbs at 3 months when we brought him home. He made it up to 78 lbs around 10 mos, but hes probably around 70-75 right now. His dad was around 80, but I really think he has a bit more mastiff in him then a typical OEB.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
sounds like Hudson might make it to 70lbs but i wouldnt think much more. they are pretty much at their adult height and sometimes weight by 10 months old.
I am thinking 75 now, 80 was our guess then. When we got him we were worried he'd be huge because of his paw size, but he just has huge paws (still look big on him haha). His mother was 75, so it will be weird if he doesn't get bigger than her haha. I don't know what happened between 8-10 months, why he stopped growing. Adjusted his food and he is growing again. He was 65lbs at 8 months, then went down a little over 2lbs and got it back at the end of March. I also keep him on the lean side, he has little fat, lots of muscle and extra skin haha. Everyone tells me to expect him to grow more, so I guess only time will tell! I don't really care at this point.

Anywho, point is, when you throw OEB in the mix it's kinda like playing russian roulette. From what I've read it can happen with the RBs too... all depends on wether or not you have a TRUE breeder, which is rare.

As for David Leavitt, I have read that he is no longer breeding/working with dogs as well. He has three "breeders" from what I know breeding HIS new line of OEBs, the David Leavitt Bulldog. I really like them. Maybe I am partial because they come in the same colors as Hudson a lot of the time haha, but I prefer them because of the consistency, and overall look and ability. Don't think I'd ever get one though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hudson was about 30lbs at that age... He is 65lbs at 10 months. His mother was an OEB. We suspected he'd grow to 80lbs by 2 yrs, but who knows since he has barely grown since turning 8 months haha.
That is almost exactly like our mastiff, she was just over 30 pounds at 4 months as well (her mom was 140 pounds lol).

at around 8 months she stopped at about 75 pounds and didn't seem to grow. but now that she is over a year she is 85 pounds and growing thicker, its much slower then growing taller...... she is looking less like a deer and more like a mastiff.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Murph plateaued at about 60 lbs. He's 65 right now, but he's not in good shape. His food amount got cut. So this summer he should be back to 60 and nice and lean :)

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.