Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an acceptable allowance as far as how much of an undershot an EB is allowed to have? I've noticed some to be more pronounced than other's. Of our two girls Mai's isn't as noticable as Tai's but then again they are only four months old.

Can too much of one cause problems?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
That's right. Who cares if the dog has issues as a result, at least it's cute! :lol:

I suggest you use your Google and just look up the breed standard. Look up the American as well as the European standards because they are different.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Oh so cute :roll: :lol:

Not only can they have problems with eating.. but their teeth can dig into the other part of the jaw causing the dog pain and making it uncomfortable when they chew or play with toys

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
And those wrinkles!!! Oooh boy are those cute. Especially when they get infected. And don't even get me started on their adorable breathing problems! I just die when they snort! But i think my all time favorite cutest thing is their joint problems. Arthirits and his dysplasia is just so gosh darn CUTE!!!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
i dont think any bulldog should be bred FOR an underbite. It's just not healthy. Lolita has a horrible underbite, not only that but her bite is crooked. She eats mainly on one side of her mouth, the other side hardly gets used therefore her teeth are very dirty on that side and has to be cleaned by the vet. Whereas Orson has a pretty perfect bite for a bulldog and has pearly whites on BOTH sides of his mouth.
And i know it cannot be comfortable for her when both sides of her teeth are "out" because the canines look to be digging into her lips.
this shows her underbite but it's alot worse than this pic shows b/c only one side is out

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
God reading all this makes me want to return my bulldog lol

Jk

lolita is very cute

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
my dog's arent EBs, but i would never pay for one. But still, with Lo being an RB, the undershot is still not desirable in my opinion. I didnt know when i got her she would have one tho b/c it didnt show and RBs dont usually have it so bad, i guess it's the EB in her coming out.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
My personal preference is when you cannot see the teeth shooting out. I am not sure exactly how much is in the breed standard either, but when it's that bad you will run into some problems. Chewing, opening the mouth, when there are probs in the jaw it can relate to other issues too.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Damn didn't know Lo had wry jaw, I'm so sorry for your luck. From my observations females within the RB have a more pronounced underbite.

Some of you forgot to mention how darn tootin cute it is to have to wipe a dog's arse.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lol omg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is there an acceptable allowance as far as how much of an undershot an EB is allowed to have? I've noticed some to be more pronounced than other's. Of our two girls Mai's isn't as noticable as Tai's but then again they are only four months old.

Can too much of one cause problems?

From the official breed standard- Bite--Jaws--The jaws should be massive, very broad, square and "undershot," the lower jaw projecting considerably in front of the upper jaw and turning up. Teeth The teeth should be large and strong, with the canine teeth or tusks wide apart, and the six small teeth in front, between the canines, in an even, level row.

However also from the official breed standard- Lips--The chops or "flews" should be thick, broad, pendant and very deep, completely overhanging the lower jaw at each side. They join the underlip in front and almost or quite cover the teeth, which should be scarcely noticeable when the mouth is closed.

So yes, if the jaw is shot out so far that the lips can't even cover it or they can't even eat their kibble, that's a huge issue. What kind of a breeder did you buy her from? Do you have any history on the parents/grandparents?

Here's the link to the full breed standard American Kennel Club - Bulldog

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Damn didn't know Lo had wry jaw, I'm so sorry for your luck. From my observations females within the RB have a more pronounced underbite.

Some of you forgot to mention how darn tootin cute it is to have to wipe a dog's arse.
yes, not only is her jaw crooked but her nose is too. So her jaw goes up one side and her nose goes down the other plus one of her nostrils is deformed (had to have it opened up with surgery, so the inside was too small and the outside of nostril is too large). Her face is ALL sorts of messed up.
Forgot to say that b/c of her huge underbite, her tongue hangs out a lot.
And she cannot hold on to things very well.
It's a good thing that she is the SWEETEST PICKLE I KNOW!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts