Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any experience or knowledge with neutering and it's effect on complete skeletal and muscular develpoment. I know the testosterone released by the testes helps incite growth spurts by stimulating the epiphyseal plates, but also causes them to close eventually and become lines. I would really like braddock to get his full height/length and muscular development, so should i neuter him? and if so when? (mind you, i know about the cancer risks, this is more of a size question)

·
Registered
979 Posts
DogSoldier said:
does anyone have any experience or knowledge with neutering and it's effect on complete skeletal and muscular develpoment. I know the testosterone released by the testes helps incite growth spurts by stimulating the epiphyseal plates, but also causes them to close eventually and become lines. I would really like braddock to get his full height/length and muscular development, so should i neuter him? and if so when? (mind you, i know about the cancer risks, this is more of a size question)
My vet prefers neutering large breed dogs at about 9-11months. I would give him time to reach sexual maturity. Have you considered vasectomy? He's sterilzed but keeps his nuts and hormones. So far my dogs have been castrated, but I have been considering this for the future. Of course vasectomy doesn't do anything to alter secondary sex driven behaviors.

Paula

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I recently read on another board that alot of breeders are having the pups spayed/neutered before they even go to theie new homes. (This is to make sure pet quality pups are never bred). Alot of them agreed that it affects the males (growth wise) more than it affects the females.

Several of them have chosen to do a vasectomy on the males so they will still have their hormones, and can still be shown in conformation.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine already

Braddock does have a vasectomy, but the vet has been telling me that i should get him neutered for cancer reasons. I was wondering how bad an effect it has on his growth.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Re: mine already

DogSoldier said:
Braddock does have a vasectomy, but the vet has been telling me that i should get him neutered for cancer reasons. I was wondering how bad an effect it has on his growth.
I doubt it will have an effect that the layman would notice. We had Chopper neutered at 6 mos and he's 110 lbs. It's not going to make a huge, noticable difference.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I was always told that neutering didn't make a (big?) difference on males. I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but having lost a dog to cancer, I will take whatever precautionary measures i can to prevent that from happening again!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Re: mine already

DogSoldier said:
Early neuter will make the great bones (like the leg bones) longer and thinner - early neuter males look leggier. I guess that is more noticable in ridgebacks than bullies. Castration before sexual maturity means you won't get the heavy neck and dense muscles - you will get muscles no doubt, but intact dogs look different from castrated (before sexual maturity ) dogs.

Whether you want to castrate your dog to prevent potential cancer later is up to you. It's a risk versus returns thing.

Paula

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
A similar discussion is going on in my Showdog's group...

Here's a link to something that was posted.

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Alot of the people, vets included are saying that IF these problems were so rampant, then the vet field would take a second look at the practices, and pros and cons of early speutering. Also being discussed, is the differences in the effects of early speutering between large and small breeds. The 'legginess,' lighter bone structure and lighter muscle mass is more evident in the large breeds, because their growth ends much later than a small breed dog.

Exactly what Paula said :lol:

I think the general consensus (on the other board) is that INFANTILE (6-12 weeks) speutering does indeed affect the appearances on large breed dogs, but if done closer to sexual maturity, it has less effect on appearances and bone/muscle growth.

·
Registered
655 Posts
We had Jesse neutered very young (16 weeks) and the vet told us that this would make him end up being bigger than if we had waited.

At 7 months he is one BIG pup (74 lbs today!)...but then who knows how big he would have been if we had waited to have him neutuered? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
He's sterilzed but keeps his nuts and hormones
However, this does absolutely nothing to eliminate testicular cancer or curb prostate problems.

I need to upload a few pics, but I've got some dogs from the same litters that are spayed/neutered & have compared them to their intact siblings & to be honest, unless you are truly an anal retentive person & extremely knowledgable about the proper structure of a specific breed, you aren't going to notice a size difference.

Here's a neutered male for you (I wasn't planning on neutering him, but he had generalized demodex & it just wouldn't clear up):

He may be just a touch taller than his siblings, but not by much as they all tended to be on the lanky side. In this picture, he weighed about 53lbs (down from the 66 he weighed when I got him). Now someone tell me my dog has no muscle & is overweight b/c he got neutered.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It will definately affect muscle mass - not necessarily size in terms of overall size. You will find that a dog who is not desexed doesn't have that edge to the cut of the muscles.

However I have my pitbull Diesel who is desexed and he is still a solid, muscle pig and all without all the terrible problems I had with his brother who I previously owned and was not desexed.

From experience I would definately recommend desexing, as the benefits far outway anything else. It was a really hard decision for me and I understand people being hesitant, I always thought I would regret it. I went ahead with it and have never looked back - SO glad I got it done.

Cheers

·
Registered
979 Posts
Miakoda said:
He's sterilzed but keeps his nuts and hormones
However, this does absolutely nothing to eliminate testicular cancer or curb prostate problems.

I need to upload a few pics, but I've got some dogs from the same litters that are spayed/neutered & have compared them to their intact siblings & to be honest, unless you are truly an anal retentive person & extremely knowledgable about the proper structure of a specific breed, you aren't going to notice a size difference.

Here's a neutered male for you (I wasn't planning on neutering him, but he had generalized demodex & it just wouldn't clear up):

He may be just a touch taller than his siblings, but not by much as they all tended to be on the lanky side. In this picture, he weighed about 53lbs (down from the 66 he weighed when I got him). Now someone tell me my dog has no muscle & is overweight b/c he got neutered.
Like I said, its a risk versus returns issue as to whether you will have your dog preventatively castrated to prevent cancer. And musculature is very different between intact and castrated dogs. I have a very muscular castrated male ridgeback, but I've also fostered intact ridgebacks - it's like the difference between stallions and geldings or tomcats and castrated (before maturity) cats.

Paula

Paula

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The dog I pictured above, was about 2/3 of the way into his conditioning program in that pic. I can honestly say that he ended up just a "cut" or moreso than many intact males.

Now, I'm not disputing scientific fats which of course state there is a musculo skeletal difference b/n an intact male animal & a gelded/neutered/desexed one. However, to the average person, it's not such a difference that they are really going to notice. And in no way should that difference be a deciding factor in whether or not to get a pet altered.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Miakoda said:
The dog I pictured above, was about 2/3 of the way into his conditioning program in that pic. I can honestly say that he ended up just a "cut" or moreso than many intact males.

Now, I'm not disputing scientific fats which of course state there is a musculo skeletal difference b/n an intact male animal & a gelded/neutered/desexed one. However, to the average person, it's not such a difference that they are really going to notice. And in no way should that difference be a deciding factor in whether or not to get a pet altered.
I guess I was discusing not whether to get the dog altered or not, but whether to choose castration vs vasectomy. They both alter the dog - I don't think we're disagreeing about the need to speuter.

Paula

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
paula

exactly. I have no intention what so ever to have this dog breeding about willy nilly. I just wanted to see about size and muscularity loss or gain in potential with regards to castration. Keep em coming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts