Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guinness started his private training with his trainer and using his new electric collar. This thing works miricles (sp) with him. It a liitle pricy and for those of you worried about the shocking I have done it to my self on the highest setting of 100 and it didn't hurt that much but his setting is on 21 and you can bearly feel it opn a human. anybody else use one or have any input i would love to hear it.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Personally, I don't care for them. I have also heard that they aren't very effective on bullies because of their high pain tolerance. But, hey, it seems to be working well for Guinness. Alot of people don't like the prong, and it works great for us. So, I guess it's personal preference, ya know? Glad to hear his training is going well. :)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I use a Dogtra 1200NC on Rosco. It is fairly effective except for in protection training. He gets too loaded into drive and it just doesn't have enough kick. I paid $300 US for it too. :-X My dog must just be a freak.

What kind of collar are you using on Guinness?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ended up trying an electric training collar for Jasmin and love it. I first tried a prong collar and had no luck she would still pull and act a fool as if it was a normal collar. The electric collar workes miracles on her.

·
Registered
410 Posts
We used to use one on a Malamute that we had, cause she had such high drive and we could not walk her or take her anywhere. Ours had a hand held key chain remote but the olny bad thing with her is that we had to shave her neck where the prongs were cause her hair was too thick for the prongs to reach. but after a while just rattling the key chain would make her quit what ever she was doing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one for Chassis. Do they listen to you if the collar is not on? My only concern is that she'll learn to listen when the collar is on in fear of getting shocked, but she'll still act like a total nutbag when it's off. Is this a problem for anyone?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guinness listens just as well with out his collar on but it takes a lot of work to get them a sound foundation. My trainer has me when saying a command for the first three months to use the shock consecutivelry with the command then after three months you say command first then if they doo not respond you give the command and shock at the same time. let me know if you have any other questions about them or maybe lisa knows a little more

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
my parents nieghbor has one he uses on his dogs. I tried on Champ a couple times the first time it seemed effective. The Second time he ran under the deck and was scared to come out. he must have a high powered one becuase the setting was only on 2. So i personally dont care for them but if it works on your dog then thats a good choice. In my opinion its just another way to train your dog. Works for some but not others.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a tektronics with adjustable ranges from 1-15 and 1 mile range, I tried it on myself before I used on my dogs and level 10 was as much as I could stand. The electric collar works great when doing recall training if done properly. But I will agree with Lisa that when any of my dogs are in high drive the collar just exacerbates the situation and makes them more determined, and doesn't work at all on my female for some reason.

The prong collar if fitted properly works terrific for most all training applications and I would recommend it over the electric. I saw a post from someone about the prong not working for them, I can promise it was being used incorrectly or fitted wrong if your dog did not respond. :)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
The prong collar if fitted properly works terrific for most all training applications and I would recommend it over the electric. I saw a post from someone about the prong not working for them, I can promise it was being used incorrectly or fitted wrong if your dog did not respond.
Hi Bill

I have to disagree with you on this one. While the majority of dogs will respond well to a prong collar there are some that won't. I have one! Rosco is one of those dogs that will take anything you throw at him in terms of a correction. When not in drive, or excited, he's not too bad, but when excited or in drive he can take anything you dish out to him. I have tried almost every training method (both tradiional and non traditional) to get the proper response to him while training him in drive. I have also had various men work a long line from behind me to see if he would respond to someone with more strength, still with no avail. I have no problems with my female, and I have handled a few dogs for friends who wanted a little help with some basic obedince, and didn't have a problem, so I know it's not me. I agree these dogs are rare but they are out there! Some are so determined they don't care what you do to them. I think it's a sign of strong character but it can sure be a pain in the butt for a handler! But to re-iterate, I do think the prong will work in most cases if used correctly, so most people should just start there. You have to be careful with e collars because you can really mess up a dog if you misuse it. There is more to it than just pushing a button.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Slightly OT, but Lisa could you please post the photo of a prong collar fitted properly? I remember seeing it on the old forum, but can't find it. I believe it was you that posted it. Pretty please?? :oops: :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Lisa also had a picture of the correct direction it is suppose to go also

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Not a problem. With the dog in front of you, facing you, this is how it should be going around the neck. This way the correction will be more effective (if you have the dog to your left in the heel position that is) as the prongs won't tend to "roll" on the neck as they would if it is on the other way. Also, when used this way, it will take longer for the prongs to bend. They do wear out and need to be replaced on occassion so watch out for that. If the prongs become bent the collar can come apart. I guess my 2 year stint under the direction of an old German trainer was good for something! :wink:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Thanks Bella and Lisa. I just wanted to make sure I was using Haus' correctly. It needs a link taken out of it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
Thanks Bella and Lisa. I just wanted to make sure I was using Haus' correctly. It needs a link taken out of it.
I had to take 2 or 3 links out of Bella's. It looks really tiny now. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lisa said:
The prong collar if fitted properly works terrific for most all training applications and I would recommend it over the electric. I saw a post from someone about the prong not working for them, I can promise it was being used incorrectly or fitted wrong if your dog did not respond.
Hi Bill

I have to disagree with you on this one.
Lisa,

I agree there are hard cases, your male and my female are two of them. I did say most all training applications though and I still would recommend it over the electric. My female was so out of control when she went into high drive that nothing worked until I started using the prong collar. At first she didn't respond well, but after a couple of backward flips with the prong collar she got the idea fairly quick. I no that sounds harsh to many people, but the reality is that sometimes they need to know you mean business but I'm sure you already know this. Now I only have to put it on her and I have her undivided attention regardless of the situation. Still I realize there will be some animals that just won't respond period. These animals I would just have to put into the stupid category and move a different direction with my training program. :)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Bill and Lisa,

Lisa kinda knows my problem with Dozer but I though I should ask you to. Dozer can be dog aggressive, its weird how it works. Some dogs he is fine, some he isn't. I can bring him to the lake with 15 other dogs and he will not cause a problem, unless he is near me then he kinda stands up and looks tuff ( I don't let him loose with dogs Idon't know anymore) but would never go after a dog. But at OB class, he will go after any hyper or barking dog.

Lisa kinda know how the trainers are, basically they train labs and corgi's so when I brought the prong collar they thought I was trying to kill my dog, but I explained that I have been talking to other people about training AB's and how strong they are. So they allow me to use the prong, It is alot easier for some things, but last night he tried going after this GS and I gave him correction and it made NO DIFFERENCE. I could not get his attention at all.

Is there anyway to get his attention on me rather then the dog?? I hope he doesn't belong in the stupid category :lol:

Sorry for stealing the thread

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I agree there are hard cases, your male and my female are two of them. I did say most all training applications though and I still would recommend it over the electric. My female was so out of control when she went into high drive that nothing worked until I started using the prong collar. At first she didn't respond well, but after a couple of backward flips with the prong collar she got the idea fairly quick. I no that sounds harsh to many people, but the reality is that sometimes they need to know you mean business but I'm sure you already know this. Now I only have to put it on her and I have her undivided attention regardless of the situation. Still I realize there will be some animals that just won't respond period. These animals I would just have to put into the stupid category and move a different direction with my training program.
Actually, my female isn't really too hard, at least not yet :wink: . So far she responds quite well to the prong collar and hopefully I won't have to go to electric with her. Rosco is probably what you would consider one of those "stupid" dogs..lol but he brings so much to the table in terms of the work we do. He loves the work and does it VERY well. He has extrememly strong character, yet very social, super stable, and has great nerves. IMO he posseses the traits I think more working dog breeders should focus on because I think that the dogs like this are often times the best dogs, they just take more work and you often won't see them standing on the podium. It would be a waste to give up on him (although I have considered it and have been talked out of it many times!) Unfortunately, due to a couple minor health issues, he can't be bred, but I hope you understand what I am getting at. Titles are nice but they definitely aren't everything! You learn so much more about the character of dogs during the training process (if you do it right that is) than you do at a trial any day :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts