Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't until Chassis started doing protection work that we realize how much trouble she has breathing. At first we thought it was just an endurance problem... but no matter how little or much she gets excited it all has the same end result.... extremely heavy breathing that sounds like she's about to kill over and she's gasping for air. :(
After training with another PSA club this weekend, they mentioned that she might have an elongated soft palate. I would have never thought of that, but after reading about it, I think it's a possibility. I also read that it could be fixed - or at least helped - with surgery.

Has anyone ever had a dog that had this surgery, or the same symptoms? What are the risks of a healthy future with and/or without surgery?

Either way, I'm definitely going to call some some vets on Tuesday to have her looked at.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have done a little research on this. Dozer has a slightly elongated palate, but the vets said it will not require surgery. He has no difficulities with it. I am surprised that they did not find Chassis' when they did her spay. I would assume that the surgery would not be anymore risky than any other surgery. It seems pretty simple.

Sorry to hear about Chassis. Let us know what the vets say.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Chassis. Molly has not been confirmed with the diagnosis but the vet has talked with me that she probably has an elongated palate as well. But the only time it seems to bother her is when she's sleeping. We are keeping an eye on it though. As much as I've read it is a very common thing in the EB's.

If your doing alot of work with her that makes her breath heavily I would probably not hesitate to do it. It seems to be a fairly common operation, although maybe a little costly. A small price to pay to make sure nothing horrible happens. From what I've read the condition can be hazardous to their health.

Good luck and big hugs to Chassis!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have not had to have this surgery done, but have known quite a few folks who have done it...believe me when I say that it's worth it to have it done if you want a healthy active dog. A few of the dogs I know of who had it done came close to death from not being able to breathe..if it weren't for the surgery, they would be here anymore. It's a fairly simple surgery with a quick recovery...it won't make the dog 100%, but you will see a huge difference in the dog's capabilities and recovery times during and after excercise. I would say go for it.

On a side note...Although, palate issues tend to be more common in short muzzled dogs,it's not the length of muzzle on a dog that creates breathing issues, it's a palate issue....I have seen long muzzled dogs who breathed much worse than some short muzzled dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.