Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just recently delivered a litter of pups from one of my rescues. I just noticed today that 4 of them have embelical (sp) hernias. They are very small. All of these pups will be spayed and neutered, and I know that the hernias can be fixed at that time, but is there anything that I can do to keep them from getting worse. They are otherwise completly healthy. Thanks for any advice that you can give.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
are you sure they are hernias:?: or just outties :idea: ..sometimes new moms will fudge up the process and make outties which are harmless...has a vet checked them out :?:

e

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had the vet check them yet. I thought that outies and hernias were the same thing? I am not a breeder, and have never see one before. Help!

·
Registered
703 Posts
This is just a suggestion until they can be seen by a vet!

If they are protuding severely, you can use non allergenic tape on the area just to support the muscles in the stomach. As long as there is not any open areas. Or just simply leave them alone until the vet can see them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Everytime you handle the pups, spend some time pushing the innards back into place. This should prevent the openings (but is not foolproof, just a temp option) from getting bigger.

As for why it's like that, usually when a large number of pups from a litter have this defect, it's a genetic thing. But since they are rescues, all should be well!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a dog that was born with a hernia, the vet said there was no reason to operate on it as long as it did not bother him. He is now almost 9 years old. I push on it all the time to make sure it does not cause any discomfort. The vet did say it was genetic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyones advice! The hernias vary in size and some are so small that I hope the go away on their own. There are a couple that are a bit bigger though. The pups are 2 weeks old and the hernias are about a quarter of the size of a dime. So pretty small. Someone told me to tape a penny to the buttons so that the muscle could close around them. Have you ever tried that? It's not a very fun game and no matter what I tried, it just fell off. I'm sure it was quite humerous to my children though!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would not use a penny (momma could possably swollow it) but just a small piece of tape, if its needed at all. It doesn't look too bad in the photo and they may not even need it. Keep us updated though. We love photos of puppies! OK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts